How do you name your movies?

prtsmgr

I am looking for opinions on the best way to name my movies.

My collection is growing fast and I would like to know if there is a better way.

I currently have Movies as my share name and am using this format:

Movies/The Blind Side (2009)/The Blind Side (2009).mkv

Would I be better off using this format:

Movies/Blind Side, The (2009)/The Blind Side (2009).mkv

Thanks,

Mark

I tend to use Gladiator.2000.Extended.Cut.1080.BluRay.DTS.x264 for my formatting.

Movie name.Year (lots of movie remakes out there).(directors cut or theatrical if i have multiple rips).Resolution (1080p, 720p, 420 etc), Source format (Bluray,DVD,SD source ETC),audio type if applicable.(DTS, DD5.1, Etc.),Container type (MKV, ISO, DIVX, etc).

I would recommend at the least Movie Name, Year, Format/Resolution

It took a while for me to format older movies. Once you get into the grove, it is pretty easy and well worth the extra effort. especially once you have 1000's of movies.

I do still have lots of movies With Brackets and parenthesis in the tile and some with spaces.

I Did remove all "&" and replaced it with "and" because I was running into issues.

As far as the the "THE" question. I leave the "the" in the front.

My XBMC auto sorts the "the" to the back of the title for me.

Good point on the Scraper Raj. I have very little scraping problems. with I due, it is usually because IMDB (scraper I use) tends not find the/ or have the movie listed. a few movies i did have to put Name, (i), date for the correct scraping. that, or i used a 3rd party plugin to manually overwrite the bad Scrape.

As long as movie title and year are how the filename begins, that is all that is really needed for most scrapers to be pretty accurate. You can add anything after that part (source, cut of film, codec, etc.) for your own benefit and won't affect the accuracy of the scraper. All my movies are named very similar to how Johnm does his.

I just let therenamer do the heavy lifting. After ripping type just enough for therenamer to find it, then let it rename and move it.

Nice thing is therenamer uses the same meta db as the media server's scanner and data agents so once the media file is processed by therenamer the media server has no problems with scanning it in.

I used to put in the filename the resolution and quality, but as the media servers now can read those data off the file I don't included them anymore.

I use a program called Zeeb to rename them, it's an adobe air program, actually pretty slick.

I rename movies as such.

Superman II (2006).tt0839995.Richard Donner Cut.1080p

<Title> (year).tt#######.<Special Identification tags>.<Resolution>

tt####### is the IMDB reference number for the movie, special ID tags are director's cut, extended cut, unrated, theatrical, used to distinguish between versions, the rest is self explanatory.

I find that if the XBMC imdb scraper is crapping out on the movie when searching for it all I do is erase all but the tag and it finds it every time.  If I never viewed the files manually I'd even consider dropping name and year entirely and just using the imdb number.

I use Ember which is one of the apps you normally find around the XBMC website. Not only does it scrape all the normal stuff, but I have it set to do the following. As well you can tell I don't like periods. ;)

Before:

good morning vietnam\good morning vietnam.avi

After:

Good.Morning.Vietnam.(1987)(720p)\Good.Morning.Vietnam.avi

I always rename the folder simply because if I'm using my WD Live and I encounter two movies with the same name how do I know which is which?

For example.

Alice.in.Wonderland.(1951)(SDp)

Alice.in.Wonderland.(2010)(720p)

I leave the filenames, NFOs, subs etc in tact and only rename the folder to the format of:

"Movie Name (2012)" then use XBMC to lookup movies by folder name. You keep all the original downloaded content (such as covers etc) and can tell at a glance the source/quality etc. I've now also started separating my movies into Movies & Movies HD (HD is generally 720p+ or 2GB+ in size).

here is what I have at the moment what I am still trying to figure out how to get it into xbmc, haven't spent much time on it.

I like the full untouched rips/copies of movies

dvd

/unraid1/disk1/barcode/folders(audio_ts,ect)

blu-ray

/unraid1/disk2/barcode/movie.iso

this is what I have current but it will possibly change once I get xbmc figured out

one thing I want to figure out is for example avatar

regular edition

extended edition

3d edition

instead of having 3 movies show up it would be nice to select 1 then choose the version

one other thing I would like to look into is if I select 3d my screen and projector will turn on and my tv turn off

regular edition

extended edition

3d edition

instead of having 3 movies show up it would be nice to select 1 then choose the version

one other thing I would like to look into is if I select 3d my screen and projector will turn on and my tv turn off

You can make groups like this in XBMC but you have to manually edit some files. See the XBMC wiki. Hopefully the next version will add a GUI for this.

regular edition

extended edition

3d edition

You can make groups like this in XBMC but you have to manually edit some files. See the XBMC wiki. Hopefully the next version will add a GUI for this.

Or you can install XWMM add-on and make movie sets by editing the movie db directly in a GUI now ;)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=60643

I just let couchpotato handle it.

movies/The.Blind.Side.(2010)/The.Blind.Side.(2010).mkv

I then run ember media manager to populate the nfo and tbn files that my boxee requires for proper identification.

I will look into Ember. Is this on unraid? I am also using Boxee Box.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I let cp do the renaming also, boxee sometimes displays the wrong thumbnail and/or can't identify the movie. I am on the boxee forums, will check out ember.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Couchpotato can also create the nfo, but the options aren't very robust (won't pull down a poster art either).  For now, i manually run ember on my desktop pc around once a week to update movies that are out there.

Sickbeard on the other hand offers perfect nfo and tbn file generation for use on the boxee. 

Archived