Will it allow me to "skip" disks when assigning?

The topic says it all.

For "organization" reasons, is it possible to live some "diskX" positions empty when assigning disks?

Will it mess anything? (like parity)

For example in my "final-initial" implementation, I will be using:

- one SATA parity disk

- one IDE cache disk

- two SATA data disks

- four IDE data disks

I have already assigned disk1 and disk2 for the two SATA disks.

Because I have a spare SATA port that may soon be populated for an extra data disk, I'd like to assign the four IDE disks as disk4-7 (skip disk3 for now)...

Possible without problems?

This is possibly for Tom as he know the internals of the mechanism. If someone else knows (because he HAS DONE IT, not because he "supposes so" - we can't take risks with that), please tell me.

Wise guy I am trying to use other people's experience before destroying something.

Also if what I ask to do is something that "looks like it works" but internally doesn't (because maybe parity is confused but looks valid) I have no way of telling and Tom himself should probably answer.

All my disks have data (those that are assigned and those that are not), I don't have the luxury of experimenting (of time also, since you mention it) to see what happens.

If you don't have time to spend, don't bother going into threads that obviously don't talk about something you care to contribute (the topic is clearly a question, nobody forced you to enter).

In fact if you don't have time to spend, you probably have nothing to do here and you should only enter to write your own "more important than mine" posts or read Tom's announcements (pretty easy to find and mine clearly isn't one).

You clearly had enough time to post this and be a smart* btw.

If you cannot help (and you obviously cannot), go to the next topic.

::)