Midnight Commander problem in 5.0b14

In your Putty-configuration, go to Window->Translation and set Remote Character Set to something like UTF-8

By the way, if you change the active session, you may have to restart MC for changes to show up.

Thanks Wody, that solved it. Can this setting made permanent in Putty or saved for a Unraid session.

Makes me wonder: Why didn't I have to do this in 4.7?

Yes, you can save sessions with Putty. When you start Putty, it will come up with the configuration-screen, and at the bottom it has a list of saved sessions.

After you change the settings like you want, and fill out the connection-details, you can for example save it as 'Unraid' by typing Unraid (or Tower or whatever name you gave the server) in the bar above the sessions, and clicking the 'Save' button below it.

If you do want to set UTF-8 as Default, you can do that by changing it, and click Default and then save to change the default settings, of course then you won't fill out the connection-details, because you could also use Putty for other computers.

After that, when you start Putty, you can doubleclick 'Unraid' to start it, or click it and click Load to load the settings to change them.

I'm not sure why there is a difference between Unraid 4.7 and 5.0, I think it has to do with it using a different slackware-version as base, or just a different setting that Tom chose.

It could also just be something to do with Putty choosing a windows-characterset that uses less characters, and that happens to be compatible with Unraid 4.7.

But whatever the problem, UTF-8 seems to resolve it, I haven't used 4.7 for a while, but I think you don't have to alter it back in putty if you go back to use 4.7, but if you do, you know now where to find it (and why it isn't always best to alter the Putty default settings)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

In your Putty-configuration, go to Window->Translation and set Remote Character Set to something like UTF-8

By the way, if you change the active session, you may have to restart MC for changes to show up.

Thanks Wody, that solved it. Can this setting made permanent in Putty or saved for a Unraid session.

Makes me wonder: Why didn't I have to do this in 4.7?

same problem here resolved, thanks..!