Tragik

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I just bought this server and I'll be receiving it on Tuesday and have some questions.

I would like to use this for media storage, and run sab, cp, and sb. As most of my media is in mkv I would like to some try something to transcode and stream to my ps3 and ipad.

It looks like this will run unraid out of the box without any problems.

Should I install the second cpu?

Does the 6 core versions work after bios update?

Will this http://www.ebay.com/itm/320878297846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 work?

Does EXSi work?

Thanks for your help

Yes this runs unRAID out of the box with zero issues.

The second CPU is really your call. I am only running the a single 6 core opteron and it does what I need to do.

Yes the 6 core version works after the bios upgrade.

Those are Barcelona core socket F so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work

ESXi does work however this hardware DOES NOT support hardware passthrough. So its a no go for a desirable unRAID setup with ESXi.

Can't wait to see how they turn out...best of luck!

Here's a few pics of how I made mine work for me...

Brilliant! I just may have to copy your setup. I assume its WAY quieter than before since you don't have the 20mm fans on the power supplies spinning like they're ready for take off? Yes you do lose the power supply redundancy but since myself and probably everyone else here runs a UPS its a non issue. Thanks for sharing.

Finally recieved my second HSF today!  Shipping to Canada SUCKS!!!  I'm going to try installing the second cpu over the weekend....

I have the mobo updated and using one of the new 6 core cpu's successfully... have my unraid up and running well using the one cpu.  part of me is saying to just leave it alone, but i have the second cpu, and the second fan.... so i've got to try it!!!

any last words of advice?  one thing i noticed in the mobo pdf is that is says to separate the ram to support each cpu... it shows the slots to use are the slots which are furthest away from the cpu... maybe this is unimportant, but when i received my server, all four ram sticks were (of course) just supporting one cpu, but they were in the slots 3a,b and 4a,b closest to the cpu... the mobo manual suggests in a dual cpu setup that should put the ram in cpu 1 slot 1a,b and cpu 2 slot 1a, b.

of course i'll do what the manual suggests but i thought it was odd that the system was shipped with slots 1ab and 2ab both empty but with 3ab and 4ab filled?

anyway i appreciate any last words of caution (or encouragement)!!!

The memory split is to help balance out CPU/RAM usage and that one cpu does not have to cross all that silicon on the motherboard to get access to RAM.  Follow the guide and split up the RAM like it says, that's the best solution.

Good luck, let me know if you managed to get the 2nd core going. I have this puppy up and going with 1 cpu and FreeNAS(boo hiss!) and no issues what so ever.  I'll end up slapping more RAM in this thing as ZFS needs more RAM the more I throw at it. Such is the nature of the beast.

Hello,

I just bought this server and I'll be receiving it on Tuesday and have some questions.

I would like to use this for media storage, and run sab, cp, and sb. As most of my media is in mkv I would like to some try something to transcode and stream to my ps3 and ipad.

It looks like this will run unraid out of the box without any problems.

Should I install the second cpu?

Does the 6 core versions work after bios update?

Will this http://www.ebay.com/itm/320878297846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 work?

Does EXSi work?

Thanks for your help

Hi...  The storage possibilities vs. price this provides are huge.  Like brncmp, I'd like to use this is for media storage along with running sab, cp and sb.  I'd also like to run my Plex Media Server from here as well. 

I've run unraid with a lousy celeron and it worked fine (albeit a bit slow) with sab, cp and sb.  But I'm not sure if this has enough power to run the PMS.

Luckily the noise factor isn't a big issue, my 'server room' is in the basement.

Thoughts?

The memory split is to help balance out CPU/RAM usage and that one cpu does not have to cross all that silicon on the motherboard to get access to RAM.  Follow the guide and split up the RAM like it says, that's the best solution.

Good luck, let me know if you managed to get the 2nd core going. I have this puppy up and going with 1 cpu and FreeNAS(boo hiss!) and no issues what so ever.  I'll end up slapping more RAM in this thing as ZFS needs more RAM the more I throw at it. Such is the nature of the beast.

Hi guys, now rockin my 12 cores!  thanks to bigdady, trajik, and everyone else on this thread for their help!

IMG_5192.jpg.12c0923dabf0985f0a009dbe5374f47a.jpg

I got my server and wow is it loud!!!

I ordered some new fans and this power supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020) to help with noise.

How do I power the drive cage with this supply? There are only 8 molex plugs and the drive cage has 12 connections. Can I use "Y" adapters, or are some connections for the redundant supplies and don't need to be connected?

Thanks

Rail kit is found here:

http://www.aicipc.com/Accessory.aspx?ref=FRR-FR28-TW-AR

That's the make and model number. I found this for purchase here of all places:

http://www.macmall.com/p/Advanced-Industrial-Computer-Racks-Enclosures-&-Arrays/product~dpno~7995914~pdp.fjhhfba

$40 rack mount kit, can't buy it from the company directly. The case I found it is about $1500 on it's own. I'm tempted to get the Xeon model for giggles. Why? Because I can :D

Bigdady92... Check before you buy.  I purchased the AMD version yesterday and was informed this morning that there was a problem, the didn't have any available.  They are supposed to be sending the dual Intel Xeon 2.0 ghz model instead.  We'll have to wait and see if that's what I really get or not.  I'll have to settle for a dual quad core Xeon server i guess.  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks... I spoke with someone at Tamsolutions on Friday... no more AMDs... but I was curious... do these servers have drive activity lights?

Someone from Tamsolutions replied to my email inquiry by saying :

We have these with 2 different types of tray styles, the style that is not pictured does have activity lights on them.  These tray styles are available in both the 1.86ghz and the 2.0 ghz

Does anyone have pictures of what the drive bays look like that have activity lights?

So it looks like I am going to have to go with one of the Xeon models... since this server will only be used to serve DVD/BD/Flac data to my Dune Media Player... is there any reason to go with the 2.0 over the 1.86?

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried using 4TB drives... like the new Seagate GoFlex 4TB?

Thanks... I am excited to get one of these!

I have one of the Xeon 2ghz models.  My trays have power and activity lights, but only the power appears to function.

Thanks for getting back to me... interesting that the activity lights don't work.

Did you have to do anything other than pop your drives in to get unRAID working?

Tweak the bios to boot from the USB port and that was about it.

Noise is an issue on these machines, be warned.

I switched out the 60mm case fans which helped a bit.  There are two blowers, one on each rear corner, that push a lot of air and aren't too bad.  But as someone stated earlier in the thread, the power supply fans are LOUD.  There are 3 - 500w PSU's.  Right now, I'm running on one PSU, i just hit the alarm reset button (red) on power up.  Plenty of power for me, I'm still on the freebie license. 

But I will be looking to dump the redundent PSU's and do as Mikejp did and put in a ATX PSU.  I'll also put in the Norco fan bracket (about 1/2" narrower than the case) and fans at the same time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the inspiration of and from Mikejp...

I finally got my ebay server to the volume and layout I was hoping for.

This was all made possible by ordering the Fan Wall and Back Window from Norco Direct.

With these parts and a new PSU and Case Fans... I was able to completely gut the older server case... eliminating the extremely noisy PSUs, 60mm fans, and side fans. I also had to remove the motherboard from its mounting tray, take out all the wiring for the redundant PSUs and unscrew the original back window.

Brass standoffs where used to hold the motherboard in its new location...

The modifications took me about 90 minutes and about $130 in additional hardware.

I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Let me know if you have any questions...

John

Here are some pics:

Before:

serverbefore.jpg

After:

server1.jpg

server2.jpg

server3.jpg

server4.jpg

server5.jpg

server6.jpg

server7.jpg

server8.jpg

server9.jpg

server10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get one through a friend - just need to work out the shipping to the UK when he gets it.

Any recommendation on fan replacements? I'm planning for this to go in the loft but also don't want it to be too noisy up there.

Also debating if it is worth an additional process or not. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Any big/slow/quiet fan will work. There is a ton of space in these servers. I forget which socket these are.

Of course its worth getting 2 cpus! Will you ever max the system out? Never, but thats not the point :)

Cpus are cheap fans are cheap and youll be able to max out the ram without a problem.

I am thinking about getting this as well.  I have sent them an email to see if they have any of the AMD ones left.  I am assuming that the PCI-e slots are worth going with the opteron if available, no?  If not, then I just have to decide on whether I want to go with the xeon, without the PCI-e slots.  The price, for what you get, seems to be hard to beat.

I have been doing research on a norco 4220 build, but the case alone is more than this whole thing.  So if this really does work as well as it sounds, this is awfully hard to pass up.  Especially if you can make it quieter by doing the mods.