SuperMicro H8DME-2 Dual 6 Core Opteron?

Tragik

Any big/slow/quiet fan will work. There is a ton of space in these servers. I forget which socket these are.

Of course its worth getting 2 cpus! Will you ever max the system out? Never, but thats not the point :)

Cpus are cheap fans are cheap and youll be able to max out the ram without a problem.

I just order two 6 cores from the states and a socket F heatsink. Should be an easy enough install compared to a pc case.

Just need to order the internal usb header and key, ready for the install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the seller of the sold out AMD 6 core's (2419) has some more listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMD-Opteron-2419-1-8ghz-6-core-processor-OS2419WJS6DGN-/261046796284

Just wondering if there are any other (better) processors that would suit this that are also a decent price. I know, I know, the price is great and it is overkill for a server, I am just wondering.

In other news, I happened to call Tams at just the right time and snagged an AMD server. No, there are no more, they may get some more in the future, just have the 2.0 Xeon's last time I called. Hope everything works out.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread as TAMS has these AMD servers again on ebay, but without caddies.  I still got one, though. The picture indicates v2.01a revision motherboard, but we'll see what shows up.  I bought Supermicro caddies from another vendor for $10 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-SC846TQ-24-Bay-SATA-4U-AMD-2-0GHz-8GB-DDR2-MB-H8DME-2-Server-/150895641247?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item232214c29f

• 4 months later...

Good news for those on the waiting list

TAMSolutions is expecting to receive part of a new order of servers tomorrow that should take care of most.... if not all of the people on the current waiting list!

Jason from TAMS told me that the new shipment of servers should be very similar to the Supermicros mentioned in this thread... He will give me more specifics tomorrow when they arrive.

Jason also told me that the new units will go through the same check in and testing procedures of the past... So a slight delay will be necessary to insure that the units are properly working before they are shipped.

These new units will more than likely be sold just as quickly as previous batches... One customer on the last waiting list purchased 16 units for himself!

I will post more detailed updates just as soon as I receive them.

It's gonna be an early Christmas for a lot people really soon!

• 1 month later...

TAMS has LOTS more of the 24 bay super-micro servers in!  It sounds like it is the largest lot they have ever gotten!  These are from a VERY LARGE data center upgrade!  They have enough to fill all back-order list requests, plus HUNDREDS MORE!  They are going through them as fast as they can, pallet by pallet, so more variations may show up in the lot...  but so far they seem to all be AMD based.

I just picked mine up yesterday and am just starting to look at my new toy!  What I have is the newer H8DME-2 version 2.01 mother-board, w/ 8GB of RAM, and 3 each of the SAT2-MV8 boards!

What I have been told so far... (of the 24-bay super-micro server batch)

All the servers have the SuperMicro SC846 4U rack mount case!

All the available servers have ALL the drive caddies!

All have the dual-power supply redundant configuration hot-swap capable.

SO far they all seem to be Ablecom PWS-902--IR 900 watt models!

All have 8 GB of RAM installed (for the ONE processor installed) - (mine was in 4 each 2GB sticks)

All have 3 each of the SAT2-MV8 PCI-X controllers!

All have one IPMI card - Kira-100 (if you want ot use it...)

The difference is the CPU... the Dual-core equipped (AMD Opteron 2212 HE @ 2Ghz) server is selling for about $50 less than the Quad-core (AMD Opteron 2346 HE @ 1.8Ghz) server.  (I just went with the cheaper one.)

I had "heard" that the fans were loud, that is an understatement!  I really think it might might be possible for one of these servers to move with the air flow if not weighted down, filled with drives, or mounted in a rack... (ok, slight exaggeration, but it does make me keep looking to make sure it has not moved yet - and you may really want to use ear-plugs before plugging it in!)  (getting in the BIOS you can change the fan control from OFF=full speed, to Server=slower, or Workstation=slowest, but still not quiet)

I am not sure, since I have not lots with AMD based boards, but I may have an issue with my CPU fan (4-pin fan and socket).  It is only bumping a little, sits still, then bumps about 30 degrees and stops again...  I think it may be how the temperature settings are in the BIOS or just the way the CPU interacts with the PWM fan.  The heat-sink is cool, so it may not be trying to run the fan much yet.  I did verify the fan works plugged into another (3-pin) socket.

One problem I did notice, I HAVE NO SCREWS FOR THE DRIVE BAYS to mount drives!  I would think that TAMS might have them, unless the drives were already removed before they received the servers.  So, if you are going to get one, make sure you ask about screws for the drive bays also!  (it looks like the screws should be about the same as the ones used in the Norco server chassis cases. - at least mine work.)

Links:  for BIOS update for SAT2-MV8 - ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Firmware/AOC-SAT2-MV8/

(mine were already current)

for MB manual - ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-A+NVDA2_1.21_for_A+_nVidia_MCP55_platform/MANUALS/H8DM8(E)-2_1.1a.pdf

Drive Bay Screws:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-MCP45ON

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-mcp-410-00005-0n~4SUP91J0.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-MCP-410-00005-0N-Screw-100PCS-Hotswap/dp/B004P4ZGRO

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Fasteners/718336/Supermicro-MCP-410-00005-0N-Screw

Quieter fans... (you may want to buy 5 of these!)

This case uses 80mm fans, not 60mm like the ones listed earlier in this thread...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999616

NOTE:  These fans are thinner than the original fans.  It does not seem to be a problem with the internal 3 fans, but for the rear two fans, a small piece of tape or something needs to be placed on top of the fan shroud for proper air flow...  These fans are nice in that they change speeds with measured temperatures, staying VERY quite at low temperatures while speeding up if needed, but still at full speed MUCH quieter than the original (jet engines)...

If you are talking about the connector using up one of the slots, and not one of the two on the mother board...  I think you will find it is NOT a normal networking card at all, but a remote management card!

Mine has a Kira-100 IPMI card in the last most slot, NOT the last PCI-X slot, but next to it.  This card is used for a remote IP Management Interface, and has its own CPU and has access to the motherboard bus to monitor, and even due remote shutdown and resets of the server.

My server has two ethernet ports on the mother-board.  The one furthest from the power supplies is the one I am using, it is Gb speed and works quite well in my testing so far.  The other one, I am not sure, but I think it is also Gb, it came disabled in the BIOS, and since I do not need two ports, I have not even tried to enable it yet for testing.

too loud?  :-)  yes they are quite loud, I never really would have believed how loud if I did not have one too.....  If you go into BIOS settings and set the fan control mode to workstation It is the slowest most not so loud setting.  It most probably is currently set to off, so the fans run at FULL speed.  I also have now unplugged the rear case fans from the motherboard, and still have had plenty of air flow to keep things cool.  It is now almost only as loud as my 48 port network switches that live in the basement.

Server gear is almost always LOUD ==> they're designed for COOLING with almost no regard for the noise level.    This is, of course, because they're usually mounted in server rooms with lots of servers; loud air conditioners;  and NO people  :)

I've had quite a few folks with small businesses ask me to PLEASE make their nice new Dell/HP/whoever server QUIETER !!    About all you can do put a thermal controlled fan control unit on; or (better) replace the fans with larger, but slower-speed fans which can still generate enough airflow.

too loud?  :-)  yes they are quite loud, I never really would have believed how loud if I did not have one too.....  If you go into BIOS settings and set the fan control mode to workstation It is the slowest most not so loud setting.  It most probably is currently set to off, so the fans run at FULL speed.  I also have now unplugged the rear case fans from the motherboard, and still have had plenty of air flow to keep things cool.  It is now almost only as loud as my 48 port network switches that live in the basement.

THANKS for the "workstation" mode advice!!!  It made soo much difference.  Also, these new cases require PWM 80mm fans so the vantec mentioned earlier in this thread will not work.

It is true that that the mother board would not have control of the speed with the Vantec fans.  But, you could still connect the one wire 3-pin connector on the Vantec to the mother board fan connector to monitor the fan speeds.  The Vantec fans are thermally controlled, and have temperature sensors built into the fans.  The are powered via the larger 4-pin molex power connectors, like on CD-ROM drives.  There is one such connector available for use with an internal drive next to the power supplies.  What I plan to do, is to buy a power splitter(s), and run three replacement fans and possibly also replace the two rear fans and power them also from the available connector.

This is the fan I found that some other people have been using on other forums, and they seem to be very happy with the change.

I am not sure how fast I will try it, because I am now thinking that with the rear two case fans unhooked, and the others running at "workstation" setting, it is not too bad.  If I do decide to replace the case fans, I think I will do something about the power supply fans first since they are loud enough that making changes without also doing something with the power supplies, may not really be worth it.

I just got my unit from TAM today. All I can say is holy crap those fans are L-O-U-D. Even in a server environment, you almost need earplugs to work next to this thing. I know lots of people have been saying this, but, until you actually hear it, you won't understand just how loud it is.

First thing I did was buy some Noctua 80mm fans. They're a bit spendy, but, virtually silent and well worth it.

I also had an extra HX650W Corsiar PSU, so, I decided to rip out the dual power supply units. See the thread at AVSForum for complete instructions. It's far from perfect -- there's a gaping hole in the back of the unit -- and it's clear this case was not meant for a standard PC fan. But, all of the mods were done with a single screwdriver and can easily be reversed.

The upshot of all of this is that the unit is now completely and entirely silent.

I'm waiting for a kill-a-watt to see what the power load is like. I'm probably going to get a Opteron 2419 EE processor to bump the performance and reduce power consumption some.

Even with the excessive noise, this is a great system with lots of potential. Just don't expect you can use it as-is. There's no way this thing can be used in your house un-modded.

:-)  SInce I now have one, I can't help but smile when people have the same reaction I had when I turned mine on...  LOL...  I wish there was a word louder than loud...  I personnaly have never heard a server in a server farm as loud as this one.  But is is a great unit, and is very well built!  And on the secondhand market, you just can't beat the price!

I also had looked at the power supply mod, to a standard unit, but I really like the redundant power supplies...  :-(

You can always try to get the "quiet" version -- PWS-920P-SQ. They look to be around $200 per, so, you'd more than double the cost of your system for quiet redundancy.

I definitely like the idea of redundancy, but, I couldn't find anything definitive on just how quiet these are [plus, they're bloody expensive]. That's really why I opted for a standard PSU.

If you find reasonable replacement fans [even though they appear to be soldered onto the PSU] update the thread as I'd definitely be interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my server from TAMs last week.

just had time to drop it in the basement and play with it for an hour or so.

IT IS LOUD  ;D ;D ;D

after reading this and other boards on mode

got my self 3 120mm fans to replace the wall. thinking to just drop the fans in with no wall modifications, it might work but will see.

will be updating the BIOS to 3.x version soon.

and getting a pair of 6-cores as well.

what do you guys think of using a passive heat-sink on this baby.

I have found couple coper passive units that are used in 1U and 2U chassis on ebay.

don't have a link now will try to post it when get home.

want to try ESXi setup first as this baby was intended to run couple of VMs in addition to unRaid to split tasks and easy maintanace.

I do not like to load things in unRaid as  it tends to screw up the build and give me a headache.

@vl1969: please keep us posted on your ESXi progress! I, too, feel that all these cores will be for naught if you only run unraid on the whole system.

As for passive heatsink: I think this case is perfect for such setup due to the fanwall + rackmount design.

@vl1969: please keep us posted on your ESXi progress! I, too, feel that all these cores will be for naught if you only run unraid on the whole system.

As for passive heatsink: I think this case is perfect for such setup due to the fanwall + rackmount design.

well it is not for naught as you can run some other stuff with in unraid,

I just don't like to do that as it creates an additional complexity in unRaid setup and can bring down the server.

if all else fails I will do the PSU mod and not buy the new CPU/RAM, sell the parts to recoup some damages. and be done with it.  :-)

I figure I can get some bills for 2 PSU  and a fan wall with fans... maybe even enough to get a pro license.

...what do you guys think of using a passive heat-sink on this baby.

I have found couple coper passive units that are used in 1U and 2U chassis on ebay.

don't have a link now will try to post it when get home.

I was running mine with NO CPU fan till I got a replacement for my bad one.  I was watching the temperatures closely at first.  I was doing 3 pre-clears when I noticed the fan was not working...  With the nice air flow in the case, the CPU never got warm.  I think that was before I set the fan speed down to workstation mode, not sure.  I did more tests after slowing down the fans, and even after unplugging the rear fans also, the CPU still had plenty of cooling.  I have since put a fan on the CPU again, I just feel safer, even though I never got it warm, even to the touch, without it.  That was with the supplied CPU, not sure what it would be like with an upgraded CPU.

I have a couple of questions for SM H8DME-2 board that some one here might just know :-).

1. How do you find the BIOS version for this board.

I have check the PCB and its 2.01a

I have download the BIOS update files from SM webpage "http://www.supermicro.com/support/bios/"

H8DM8-2

H8DME-2 DM82 BIOS R 3.5a DM82A229.zip DM82A229.exe CHP-0232L-8Mb

run it form USB stick and it seam to update but I do not see any difference.

how do I know I have updated BIOS?

I just ordered some RAM and new CPU

seller says it Hyn-- something but I heard it was a good brand

Server RAM 16GB 4@4GB PC2-5300P FIT HP xw9400 ECC REG DDR2 667 240pin Memory

Lot of 2 New AMD OS2431WJS6DGN 64-bit Opteron Hexa-core 2431 2.4GHz Processor

2 - Passive Heatsink CPU Cooler For AMD Socket F / 940 Opteron Used in 1U 2U servers

what do you think? am I in trouble :-)

P.S.  I do love IPMI.  I was playing with the server yesterday

it is empty and all but I got the IPMI view from SM and it is soooo cool.

I was able to see /reboot the whole machine.

attach the ISO of XCP as a remote drive and even start the install. did not get very far as the machine have no drives at all to install XCP to but still cool.

ok, I am still waiting for my CPU and RAM orders,

but a have been playing with the chassis a little.

maybe some people will find it helpful info.

the chassis are loud.

but since I do not want to make a lot of changes, and my server is in the basement

I did this so far:

1 - disconnect one of the PSU (just remove the power cord  and pull out a little from the frame so it disconnect from the MB.)

removed all the wall fains(I actually remove the back from the whole fan wall with all the fans. plan to install 3 140mm or 120mm fans instead)

2 - replace both 80mm fan from the back of the chassis with silent types. even though the connectors no the oem holders are 4 pin they only use 3 pins as MB connectors are 3 pins.

so far the only noise I have is from PSU but I can leave with it as it is barely noticeable from the basement.

before you go crazy MODing the  case for regular PSU see if you can use it as is. with only minimal changes. all and all I expect total cost of reducing the noise MOD to be about $50 (yes I did not by top of the line fans and just got some no brand from local MicroCenter) 3- 120mm for $10.00 ea. and 2-80mm for $3.00 ea.

the 120mm even come with blade guard screens.

ok, got my CPU and RAM

however after installing all the machine will not boot.

I can see the main prompt with all RAM and CPU identified than it's hangs for a bit on IPMI load and than screen goes dark and all LDS exept one on the MB is off and it looks like it went in standby mode..

any ideas anyone :-)

P.S.  I tried booting with only orignal RAM split to both CPU

only original CPU with new RAM in first bank , same things all the time.