Asgard

Originally I had a HTPC with 3 drives in a RAID-5 that I used that worked pretty well until I ran out of space...

parts.jpg

OS at time of building: unRaid 4.7

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Processor

AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O Motherboard

ASUS M3N78-VM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM (PC3 10600) KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 SDRAM (PC2 6400) TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Case: AZZA Helios 910 CSAZ-910 Mid-Tower Case (Black)

Drive Cage(s): 3x Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack

Power Supply: Corsair 750-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply - CMPSU-750AX

SATA Expansion Card(s): 3x SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4

Cables: 3x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable

Fans:

Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm

Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm

2x Noctua NF-B9-1600 92mm

Parity Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632

Data Drives: 5x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632

2x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB

Cache Drive: SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1TB 7200RPM

Total Drive Capacity: 12TB

Primary Use: Media steaming, file storage

Dislikes: Wish the case door didn't have a fan on it, especially one with an LED.

Add Ons Used: None yet.

Future Plans: I'd also like to get Plex and PS3 Media Server setup on the box, as well as MySQL, Squeeze Box, and Transmission...

Later this year I'll start looking for a 24 drive case when drive prices are hopefully better.

Boot (peak): 180w

Idle (avg): 80w

Active (avg): 130w

Light use (avg): 110w

internals.jpg

Old internals

lights.jpg

Old Front

Nice build.  8) I like the flexibility of the Azza case, but wish it had a little more room on the back-side for cable management.

How do you like the Noctua fans?  Looking to quiet my build a little...or maybe just an excuse to do something UCD.

Some have gotten APC upsd to work with Cyberpower, but some have had problems. 

Nice!..

I like!

I had looked at a similar setup with an I3.

I didnt get it in the end.. as you mentioned the side fan, that was what killed it for me..

that and Raj aimed me at the prom-9.

had i gone the azza route, i would have prolly removed the side fan and plexied over it or something?

How do you like the Noctua fans?  Looking to quiet my build a little...or maybe just an excuse to do something UCD.

Shop around for them, or wait for the egg to have their sales. they just had a 20% off last week.

I have picked some up for less then 1/2 the price of newegg elsewhere and they only charged me the shipping for 1 fan unlike newegg.

I just picked up a bunch of the 92MM one for my supermicro 5in3 bays at last weeks sale and put them in today.

also my norcos use the 120's for the fan walls. I could not be happier (other then the sticker shock).

all of my Servers are about as silent as possible and maintain very cool temps.

Nice build.  8) I like the flexibility of the Azza case, but wish it had a little more room on the back-side for cable management.

Some have gotten APC upsd to work with Cyberpower, but some have had problems.

Yea, cable management wasn't ideal in the Azza case, but it works.

The case fans were probably fine, but the fans on the drive cages were WAY too loud. With the Noctua I have silence and good temps...I'll post those up when I get home. Wish they weren't so ugly though. True, I only see them when the case is open, but still...

I had the UPS laying around for a while, so hopefully I'm one of those that can get APC upsd to work :D

had i gone the azza route, i would have prolly removed the side fan and plexied over it or something?

I might end up doing that. Right now the case is up against a wall so I don't have to see it, and air flow is fine as is. Also, I plan on upgrading to a larger case later this year and almost every case mod project I start goes horribly horribly wrong. :-\

• 1 month later...

I've upgraded to an i3-2100 with a MBD-X9SCM-F-O mobo and 8GB memory... and also added another MV8 and the final 5-3 drive cage 8) Forgot to take a picture of the front though, I'll get one when I get home tonight.

Getting the last 5-3 into the case was beyond difficult. I don't know if it was just my case, but it's about half a centimeter too short to fit 3 :o. Plus, the first MV8 was DOA ::) Been running rock solid on the new config for two weeks :D