{SOLVED} Recommendation for cheap PCI or PCIe x1 (not PCIe x16) Video Card?

Alas, I am having to move from several  SIL3132 dual-port controllers (all PCI Express x1 based) over to a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (PCI Express x4) card -- due to issues discovered with the SIL3132s.

My motherboard does not have onboard video.  I've been using a PCI Express x16 video card -- and the Supermicro controller needs to go in that slot -- my only x4 or larger slot.

So I need a video card that will go into one of the old-style PCI slots, or into an PCI Express x1 slot.  Everything I've looked at is like $50 or more. 

(Yes, I've looked at eBay also)  {Update: Have posted a 'wanted' on my local Craigslist}

That's putting me half-way to a new motherboard...  ugh...  all for a stupid video card.  As an alternative, I would consider replacing the motherboard with one having on-board video, if I could re-use my DDR3 memory and processor (AMD AM3 socket)...

Recommendations?

{FYI -- am using a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard with an AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor}

In the same vein, look for a local shop that still builds and repairs computers.  They often end up with computers that can't be repaired and are left when the shop sells the previous owner a new computer.  The shop will often 'recycle' the usable parts and you can often find items like PCI video cards for $10 to $15.

In the same vein, look for a local shop that still builds and repairs computers.  They often end up with computers that can't be repaired and are left when the shop sells the previous owner a new computer.  The shop will often 'recycle' the usable parts and you can often find items like PCI video cards for $10 to $15.

search craigslist for a local deal.

I have 3 PCI video cards and a few other random parts I got for $10-$15.

I'll check into those. 

Meanwhile, a friend sent me this:  :o  Modding an x16 card to run in an x1 slot.

Use a PCI card and save the PCI-e slot for drive expansion.

I could make that argument.  But to go past my current # of drives (10 in two 5x3 cages) -- I'd more likely replace the motherboard to accommodate another Supermicro card...

Or, even more likely, build another Unraid server {I have the 2nd key already purchased}

But that's philosophy.  But for any practical purpose,  it doesn't immediately matter to me whether it's x1 or traditional PCI -- anything to get me off the x16.

Right now, my immediate concern is to use anything but an x16 video card.  I'm checking to see what's available/option.

That's putting me half-way to a new motherboard...  ugh...  all for a stupid video card.  As an alternative, I would consider replacing the motherboard with one having on-board video, if I could re-use my DDR3 memory and processor (AMD AM3 socket)...

Recommendations?

I have an Asus M5A78L-M LX (AM3+, onboard Vid, 2x PCI-E x1, 1x PCI-E x16, 6 SATA ports and 2 slots for RAM) $64 at Amazon.

Oh my goodness, here is one that is even cheaper!

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Rage-8MB-Video-Card/dp/B000G6U2W4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Probably not suitable for modern graphics requirements but it should work fine for the text only display that unRAID uses

If your lucky enough to live near a electronics recycler or a large institution (university, government etc) that has a public property distribution you should check it out.

I've seen a whole bin of ATI Rage video cards pulled from retired servers for $1 each a year a two ago. Got one and is living happily in an old P4 winxp knock about machine. :)

can't you put a 16x card in a 1x slot and let it run on one channel? bulky and not ideal, but the bios should accept it

You can if the end of the slot is opened, most aren't but some are. Or if you cut the end out(hard) or cut a slot in the video card.

Meanwhile, a friend sent me this:  :o  Modding an x16 card to run in an x1 slot.

Yea, I thought that last link was a bit extreme.  But the other part of the "x16 card in an x1 slot" is how they laid out the motherboard.

In my case, there are various caps, bumps, etc past all the X1 slots -- they "designed" the path behind the X1 slots "knowing" that nothing "longer" would be going in there.

So for me, this nixed "field modification" of the Video Card or of an X1 slot {I confess - I looked  ;D}

Thanks everybody,  I'm going to mark this "solved".

I ordered, via Amazon, a used PCI card that had a DVI out (with another VGA out).

I didn't post about it, but I looked closer at my monitor in my study, and I am already using the VGA from another system that does only VGA.  And I needed DVI or HDMI {or a new monitor}...  The monitor has only one VGA and one HDMI.

That reduced the pool of cards that could be used, for my particular case...

I settled on "ATI Radeon 7000 64MB PCI DVI VGA"

...Chuck

P.S. Somebody's going to point out that there are VGA to HDMI (or DVI) cables.  True, but works only if the VGA is able to output appropriate digital signals.  Since I couldn't figure that out of the cards offered, I didn't risk it.