My First UnRaid Server!!! UPDATE

Here's my low cost and 1st UnRaid set up:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core

Mobo: Biostar A760G M2

Cooler: Thermaltake Copper AMD RX K8

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 1066 Dual Channel F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus

HDD: 1 X Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DL003 (PARITY DRIVE)

2 X Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 5900RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive ST320005N4A1AS-RK-Retail Kit

PICS:

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Approximately 2 days ago, I got lucky and found a new Icy Dock MB455SPF-B 5 in 3 SATA for sale on LimeTech by one of our members.  I had to do some modifications to the case due to having individual drive tabs, and the icy dock would not fit.  Since, I didn't have the right tools, and it was too late to go to the store to get the right tools, I used my air grinder and grind down the tabs.  Worked like a charm.

Here's a pic:

IMG_4796.jpg

Note: I will be installing another drive in the Icy Dock, and I will be buying the plus UnRaid license as well.  I will take some internal pictures, and post them up.

So, far I am very happy with my server.  I use it mainly for storing and streaming all of my movies via Dune D1 and AIOS media player.  I can't believe I waited this long to build one.

Looks very nice. Congrats on getting it up and running and I do agree what took you so long. ;)

$$$....I had to convinced my wife to let me build it lol.  After buying a Dune D1, AIOS and 3 2tb hard drive, it was pretty difficult to convince her.  Got to keep her happy first.

Looks nice!  Solid basis for a 15 Drive server...

Thanks.  I just installed a 3x5 Icy Dock, and I am having some higher than what I used to have HDD temp.  I did some mods to the case, and now I am getting Parity low 40's C.  I'm probably going to have to sell the Icy Dock if I continue to have higher temps than 40 C while on full load.

Thanks.  I just installed a 3x5 Icy Dock, and I am having some higher than what I used to have HDD temp.  I did some mods to the case, and now I am getting Parity low 30's C.  I'm probably going to have to sell the Icy Dock if I continue to have higher temps than 40 C while on full load.

40C under load is not horrible.  If the drives were running 45C during normal use then there would be something to worry about

I have a couple drives that get to just south of 45C when doing a parity check.  I only do parity checks and use all disks very rarely so I don't worry about it all that much.

Thanks.  I just installed a 3x5 Icy Dock, and I am having some higher than what I used to have HDD temp.  I did some mods to the case, and now I am getting Parity low 30's C.  I'm probably going to have to sell the Icy Dock if I continue to have higher temps than 40 C while on full load.

40C under load is not horrible.  If the drives were running 45C during normal use then there would be something to worry about

I have a couple drives that get to just south of 45C when doing a parity check.  I only do parity checks and use all disks very rarely so I don't worry about it all that much.

I was streaming a couple of movies today.  One in the living room and the other one in the master bedroom, and I notice only one drive was being use.  I guess both movies were on the drive, and the temp. was 30 C.  After that I spinned all drives just to see how hot they would get, and the highest temp was 32 C.

So, I think I should be okay since I won't be using all 3 drives at one time unless performing the parity check.  I will be adding another drive tomorrow.  I'm still waiting for the sata cable to get here.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Icy Box was removed and sold.  After talking with Icy Box tech, they couldn't figure out why my temps were getting so high.  I didn't want to take chance of any of my drives getting damage over time.  I ended up ordering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129CDGC/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817996019

I like them both.  The xigmatek did not come with any hardware.  Not screws or anything, but the drives fit in pretty tight with the build-in rubber grommets that screws are not need it.  I am using my stock 4x3 cage, and the Xigmatec 4x3 cages right now.  The only thing I don't really like is that Xigmatek fan is light orange lol.  So, I've got a blue and orange fan set up emitting from the front of the case.

I took a pair of snippers and cut the leads to my LED's so they spin with no light. As well on my Cooler Masters fans I did the 7volt mod so they spin a little slower and I can't even really hear them at all even when I'm in the same room sitting 10 feet away. As well I've not noticed any changes in Temp, but gained a little piece in quite. Worse case I remove the Y-Splitter I modded and my fans again spin at 12volts. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

For the record I'm running 3 Cooler Master Cages. They are a pain in the butt to add/remove drives, but it is what it is. ;)

LOL, some how I wouldn't doubt it my kids would like the night lights too. As well the fan is kinda sooothing.......... zzzzzzz

I know there is a post somewhere here where somebody took the same case you have and blocked the side fan to force more cross flow from the front to the back. I have that case I built for a friend, but haven't done any drive or temp tests to conclude anything. have you tried that as of yet?

LOL, some how I wouldn't doubt it my kids would like the night lights too. As well the fan is kinda sooothing.......... zzzzzzz

I know there is a post somewhere here where somebody took the same case you have and blocked the side fan to force more cross flow from the front to the back. I have that case I built for a friend, but haven't done any drive or temp tests to conclude anything. have you tried that as of yet?

I installed two drive in the ICY BOX, and conducted preclear on one of them to see how hot it would get, and it went up to 48C.  This was installed in the middle bay.  The other drives were 35C's.  I didn't want to run the preclear on the other drive because I didn't want the drives to get too hot.  I placed a fan in front of the Icy Dock to aid with air flow.

After the preclear was completed, I precleared the 2nd drive and this one ran a little bit cooler 43C, which was located in the outside bay.

I did a couple temp. test when I had the ICY BOX installed running parity.  I ran parity checks, and three out of the five drives (middle ones) temperatures went 45C.  I ended up putting a fan in front of the ICY BOX to get the temps down.

I ran a parity check twice two days ago.  This is with the Icy Box removed, and I've got drive in the 4x3 stock cage, and the Xigmatek 4x3 installed.  The stock cage has 4 drive, 1 parity, 3 data, and the xigmatek has one data drive.  The hottest any drive got was 36 C with the fan disconnected from the cages.  I forgot to reconnect the molex power thingie lol.

I re-connected the power to the fans, and the temps went down to 28C to 31C.  The 4x3 cages have more spacing between the drives, and better air flow so the temps have been greatly reduced.

I am still thinking of getting a 3x5 cage.  I'm thinking of getting the Norco SS-500 just because they are on sale now for $89.99.  I was actually thinking of getting the Supermicro first.  SM has a bigger fan, which I believe will be better for hdd cooling, and the fan is easier to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my server.  I've got 6 drives now, with 1 Parity drive.  The pics only show 5 drives.  I installed the 6th drive a couple of days later, and I just didn't feel like taking the server apart to take pics lol.  Anyhow, I do not have the Icy Dock 5x3 unit anymore.  I sold it.  I ended up buying a Cooler Master 4x3 cage, and I am also using the stock 4x3 cage that came with the case.  I am thinking of either getting another Cooler Master 4x3 cage...or save up for some Supermicros 5x3's.

SAM_7760.jpg

SAM_7761.jpg

SAM_7759.jpg

• 2 months later...

If you want you can pull the fronts off the Cooler master Case and snap back on the Azza Front panels. That way it looks the same from top to bottom. I did it because on my Cooler Master 590 I used one of those Cage Fans and wanted to keep the stock appearance.

Other than that I think you put together a pretty good build.

If you want you can pull the fronts off the Cooler master Case and snap back on the Azza Front panels. That way it looks the same from top to bottom. I did it because on my Cooler Master 590 I used one of those Cage Fans and wanted to keep the stock appearance.

Other than that I think you put together a pretty good build.

Thank you.  I was going to get the thirds Cooler Maser 4x3 cage, but I am waiting to fill up my current drive storage.

• 3 weeks later...