[SOLVED] Add another drive but not to the array

Hi,

I have 3 array drives in my server and the flash drive.  I would like add another smallish drive to install programs such as sabnzbd and couch potato on. Not to be part of the array but still show up in the shares in the same way the flash drive does.

How can I do this?

I am currently running 5 beta 14.

Many thanks.

(I tried snap but I could not get it to work.)

I do something similar.  I have two drives in my system that are not part of my array.  One is an SSD that I use for YAMJ (no need to spin up a drive just to browse my Jukebox).  The other is a drive that I use for temporary storage (the cache drive feature of unRAID didn't really meet my needs).  Just hook up the drives as you normally would then you'll need to manually mount them when your system boots.  The drives were both formatted with reiserfs.

In my go script, I added the following lines:

#############################################
# Mount tmp_drive Drive
# The drive is also shared via Samba in the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf file
mkdir /mnt/tmp_drive
mount -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS81201810-part1 /mnt/tmp_drive/
sleep 10

# Mount SSD Drive
# This drive is also exported via NFS
mkdir /mnt/ssd
mount -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_OCZ-VERTEX_JUH5XX1INOZ4SX377AS4-part1 /mnt/ssd/
sleep 10

The sleeps are probably not necessary, but I put them in there anyway.

The tmp_drive I share over Samba.

The SSD drive I export over NFS.

This is my preferred method.  However, there is also an unRAID add-on called snapRAID (or something similar) that can assist with what you want.  I prefer this simple approach over configuring another (albeit much more flexible) plugin. 

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

That was pretty much what I was doing. I had a friend pop over and help me today. It turns out it was my samba share that was wrong. (I forgot to update it) So the server never mounted it on the share.

Thanks for your help

Aaron

• 5 months later...

In my go script, I added the following lines:

# Mount tmp_drive Drive
mkdir /mnt/tmp_drive
mount -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS81201810-part1 /mnt/tmp_drive/
sleep 10

# Mount SSD Drive
# This drive is also exported via NFS
mkdir /mnt/ssd
mount -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_OCZ-VERTEX_JUH5XX1INOZ4SX377AS4-part1 /mnt/ssd/
sleep 10

unRAID kept giving me an error on boot when I used  the /dev/disk/by-id/ method above, but I can't figure out why. As a workaround, I just used the default Linux disk label instead. This may work if unRAID reports "mount point does not exist" (or something similar; I didn't record exact verbiage) on boot.

# Mount tmp_drive Drive
mkdir /mnt/tmp_drive
mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp_drive/
sleep 10

Note that I used "hda1" because I'm mounting an IDE device and unRAID always begins an IDE label with "hd". If you're mounting a SATA device, your label will start with "sd"