No space increase on user share after adding new disk.

I'm on 5.0b12a and just added a new 1 TB disk to my server. The disk was added in an empty slot (disk6) and after the array was started the disk was formatted. It now shows a Free space of 1 TB. So far so good, I think. I then selected the user share "videos" under shares and added disk6 to the included disk(s) box. But I don't the 1TB space added to the user share. Not when I check the space on this share from windows and not when I click compute under shares, I don't even see disk6 listed when I click compute. What should I do to get the the free disk space added to the user share? Syslog is attached

tower_syslog-2012-04-01.zip

• 1 month later...

The problem still exists in 5.0b14.  I thought I was going crazy - my new drives were in the array, working fine, etc, but I could not move a file to the share because it was out of space.

Stopping & starting the array after formatting worked.

Cheers, Carl.

I'm wondering if there are potential issues here if, to 'fix the bug', Tom were to simply stop and restart the User Share system after a drive was added to a Share.  If files were open, either by current file transfers or by addons or external applications that are using User Share disk space, then file handles might be unexpectedly closed.

Option 1:  Tom adds a 'Restart User Shares' button after a drive is assigned to an existing User Share, with a warning that the drive space is not available until after the User Shares have been restarted, and that any addons or external applications tied to User Share space should be stopped, and restarted after the User Share system has been restarted.

Option 2:  Tom adds a warning after a drive is assigned to an existing User Share, that the UnRAID system should be rebooted (or the array stopped and restarted) before the drive space will be available within that User Share.  In other words, no real change to the current behavior, but the user is better informed.

The docs should also be updated.  (Disclaimer:  I still don't use User Shares myself, so I may be off base.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm having a similar yet different issue.  I'm on RC3, and the user share free space is accurately calculated, but despite my having a minimum free space setting, one of the disks in my user share is getting completely maxxed out, and the mover is not looking to the other disk assigned in that user share. 

Not sure what to do at this point.  My log is getting slammed every few seconds with dupe warnings.

Not sure what to do at this point.  My log is getting slammed every few seconds with dupe warnings.

Post screen shots of how you have the share configured.  In nearly every case, it is doing exactly what you've requested.  We have no idea what disks you've included or excluded, what exact value you have in your min-free field (post the EXACT string you entered, or a screen shot) and what allocation method you've elected.

The dupe-warnings are an entirely different issue.  Open a second thread in the general support forum.  They have nothing to do with the rc3 release, or with space allocation.  Oh yes, attach a zipped copy of your syslog.

Joe L.

Thanks for your reply, Joe.  The dupe issue is related to one of the 2 assigned disks maxing out and not copying files over to the free drive, so zero byte files were created on the disk shares, but the actual files remained on the cache drive. 

Unfortunately in an attempt to see if I could fix the issue, I manually moved a sizable amount of data from the maxed out drive to the other (empty) drive in the user share.  After I ran the mover, the dupe warnings disappeared (as the files were finally able to get moved from the cache drive).  Unfortunately, unRAID just started using the newly created free space on the (previously) maxed drive, ignoring the minimum free space setting assigned to the user share.

I am attaching screen shots of my main unRAID screen, the TV user share (the share with the problem), and the Movie user share (which works absolutely as intended).  You'll notice that my configuration settings between the two shares are identical, except the Movie user share has an additional drive (added at the same time as the other drive for the TV share).  Minimum free space is set to 40000000, which should equate to around 35 GB, no?  I'm also attaching my syslog, though I'm not sure if that will be telling since the drive is no longer maxed out.

Thanks!

Main unRAID Screen

TV Share (the one with the issue)

Movie Share (no issue)

Edit: Now after I typed this, I wonder if this is a split issue, since most of my shows are existing, and thus it would keep the Seasons together... hmmm....

Edit2: But wouldn't the user share still respect the minimum free space?

syslog-2012-05-22.zip

Probably the split level. You didn't give info on the storage structure so it's impossible to know for sure. However, the typical TV storage stucture would mean level 2 keeps each season together and you run out of space with the new seasons.

Also, you are using "Fill-up" so of course unRAID keeps trying to fill that first drive. Change it to "Most Free" or "High Water" and your issue would at least be partly solved. Putting a new TV season or TV series onto the most free drive would help with it later filling the drive. Don't try to fill each disk unless you fully understand how your chosen split level will affect moving data once the disk is full.

Have you read the shares section of the unofficial manual? There are some examples given there.