WD AAKS spin down hangs unRAID

NAS

I am not saying this will be true for everyone but for certain on my setup both WD AAKS 500Gig drives are the source of many problems i have been seeing.

It seems as if in some circumstances spin down of these drives hangs unRAID completely with zero logs created to inform you of what went wrong.

I have no clue why this is although there are google references to spindown on these drives being problematic (look hard enough on google you find anything though so dont take this as certain).

I post this here just for info incase anyone later has a similar problem.

I have the same problem. If I enable the setting for drives to sleep then unRaid will stop responding. Completely dead. It happens anywhere between 24 hours and 4 days. Somewhere it will always hang. I just leave my drives spinning 24/7 and have no problems. It would be nice if we could put the drives to sleep to save power.

Phil

WeeboTech thats right up there now on my todo list as it seems one of them can be spun down (purchased later i think).

Alternatively I may just replace them and stick them in my desktop machine which is being used or is off.

Update: I have ordered a couple of Supermicro controllers to use incase its the Promise TX4 150 in conjuntion with the SATA II drive thats the issue

I run the Supermicro controller in my case. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

Update: I just rebooted my unRAID box & noticed that my WD AAKS drive is on the motherboard sata controller. Should I move it to the Supermicro card?