[SOLVED] Help for new build for unRaid v5

dheg

Hi guys,

Now that unRaid v5 is finally taking shape I have decided to upgrade my server. I could use my current box, but funny as it might be, my current server is more powerful that my desktop ;D  computer, so I thought of upgrading my desktop with my current server components and build a new one.

What I’m looking for is expandability so I have decided to go with the norco 4224. Other components are:

• Server: unRaid 5- RC2 / final
  • Case: Norco 4224
  • MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F
  • CPU:  intel i3 2100
  • RAM: not decided but I’ll go with 8GB, I’m planning on using SAB, CP, SB, HP, CP and VB
  • Sata card: AOC-SAS2LP-MV8
  • PSU: I really need help with this…

I haven’t decided yet on the PSU because my current one gave me some issues with S3 wake up. I have the Corsair TX650 V2 and the issue was that if the server was in S3 state for a minute or so, it woke up with no issues. However after 1-2 minutes, it never woke up and had to manually switch on the server. After much fiddling and reading through the forums I go to the conclusion that it was the PSU (sorry I can get to find the thread)

What do you think? Any advice will be much appreciated it!

Dan

It is rather hard to specify a power supply without drive count and type. You'll find the Seasonic X-750W used in many similar builds. I would recommend that if your drive count warrants it. The other factor is power supply rated efficiency, and you'll want that to be in the upper ranges. The Seasonic X series is 80 Plus Gold, only thing better is Platinum.

The big power supply thread has drives at 3amps each. That's 36W each, so for all 24 drives, 864W, you'll need bigger (or so they say).

It is rather hard to specify a power supply without drive count and type. You'll find the Seasonic X-750W used in many similar builds. I would recommend that if your drive count warrants it. The other factor is power supply rated efficiency, and you'll want that to be in the upper ranges. The Seasonic X series is 80 Plus Gold, only thing better is Platinum.

The big power supply thread has drives at 3amps each. That's 36W each, so for all 24 drives, 864W, you'll need bigger (or so they say).

Correct.  We use the Corsair 850W for 22 drive servers filled with 7200 RPM drives (remember that unRAID doesn't support 24 drives yet).  If you prefer to use green drives, then the Corsair 650W will work just fine.  The 750W is really only appropriate if you mix and match the drive types and figure out that the 750W offers a sweet spot not met by the other options.

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned this. I'm planning a server for the next few years, so the psu should be able to support 24 drives. I usually use green drives, but for a few extra bucks, and if it's worth it, but I wouldn't mind a larger psu. I don't feel really ok with the corsair 650.. That's the one I have and I haven't been able to wake the system from s3.. Could this be mb related?