[solved] Use version 4.7 or 5.0-RC2?

I am currently in the works of building my first unRAID server with the following parts:

MB: Super Micro X7SPA-HF-D525

RAM: Hynix 2x2GB DDR3

Case: Norco RPC-430 old model

Fans: NoiseBlocker NB-Multiframe 2x M12-S1 & 2x M8-P PWM

PSU: Seasonic X400

Parity drive: Hitachi 5K3000 3TB

Cache drive: Hitachi 5K500 500GB

Data drive(s): Hitachi 3K5000 2TB SATA600 32MB Cache

OS drive: After a long hunt I have gotten two Integral Memory Endurance SLC based 4GB and 8GB SD cards and a Kingston MobileLite G2 card reader with a unique UUID / GUID.

Just to mention, I will drive some of the fans directly off the PSU via a BitFenix molex adapter (just to ensure I don't burn off MB because I plug in too many fans). Last but not least, somewhere in the case a pair of Lian Li BS-03 will be mounted with M12-S1 fans in, most likely facing the drive cage.I have decided I will mount parity disc and cache disc in the 5.25 room via a Raidon iS1010-2S-S2B. Just to be sure about noise levels I will swap out the 40x40 fan on the back with a NoiseBlocker BlackSilent XM2.

-----------------------------

My question is, because I have a 3TB drive I want to use as parity - should I either reconfigure the drive as 2.2TB and use v4.7 or should I keep it 3TB and use 5.0-RC2?

What would be the most stable solution?

Personally, I would go with the release candidate.  It appears to be fairly stable and you have already purchased a 3TB drive to use as a parity drive.  Most of the problems have been relatively minor.  Many people have been running the ver 5 beta without problems.  I will caution you that there are some major/minor(?) issues with NFS. 

I am assuming that you had always intended to use ver 5.0 when it was released.  I know you can 'short stroke' the 3TB drive to use ver 4.7  but you didn't buy that 3tb drive so you could do that!  I have not investigate what is involved in removing the short stoke but I would bet that it is not a trivial matter taking only a few minutes to do. 

Plus, it will probably be a couple of weeks until you get your server setup and become familiar with its settings.  That will give you plenty of time to find and address any issues that do come up.  As you are probably aware, you should be very careful about loading up a lot of irreplaceable data on any new server that you just built!  Infant morality of new hardware is, and always has been, a big, big problem.

Personally, I would go with the release candidate.

Exactly.  And I would do so for the same reasons.  The earlier betas were very stable apart from some well identified issues.  And learning once with 5.x has got to be simpler than learning with 4.7 and then again when you switch to 5.  And you avoid the 3TB resizing issue at the same time.

Both my servers are on 5.x  - one on RC2-test and one on 5.0beta14

Nice thread. I too find myself in a similar position. I bought all my components and built a server probably late 2010 going on early 2011. After much deliberating I settled on unraid and bought a licence for Pro and installed 4.7. Gradually over last year 2011 I did little by little improving my case doing everything on a budget and getting my lounge sorted to accomodate it all including a UPS. I started to play around with unraid and do some preclears and familiarize myself.

That is as far as I got...basically 4.7 FINAL installed with some addons like UPS stuff, unmenu etc but NOT data copied accross yet. I am now in a place where I think I want to move onto the 5.0 RC2/RC2Final/RC3 or 5.0-Final. I am not sure what the best way to do this is and what implications there are for me "upgrading". Do I need to do all my preclears again? Most of the wiki documentation is probably written based on 4.7 FINAL so I am not sure how much of it does not apply to version 5.0 ?

Nice thread. I too find myself in a similar position. I bought all my components and built a server probably late 2010 going on early 2011. After much deliberating I settled on unraid and bought a licence for Pro and installed 4.7. Gradually over last year 2011 I did little by little improving my case doing everything on a budget and getting my lounge sorted to accomodate it all including a UPS. I started to play around with unraid and do some preclears and familiarize myself.

That is as far as I got...basically 4.7 FINAL installed with some addons like UPS stuff, unmenu etc but NOT data copied accross yet. I am now in a place where I think I want to move onto the 5.0 RC2/RC2Final/RC3 or 5.0-Final. I am not sure what the best way to do this is and what implications there are for me "upgrading". Do I need to do all my preclears again? Most of the wiki documentation is probably written based on 4.7 FINAL so I am not sure how much of it does not apply to version 5.0 ?

Follow the release note for the upgrade instructions.

Basically, all your disks can stay as they are.  You only need replace two files (bzimage and bzroot) on the flash drive from those in the new distribution and reboot.

Personally, I would go with the release candidate.

Exactly.  And I would do so for the same reasons.  The earlier betas were very stable apart from some well identified issues.  And learning once with 5.x has got to be simpler than learning with 4.7 and then again when you switch to 5.  And you avoid the 3TB resizing issue at the same time.

That settles it then, I will use the newest version 5 there is when I am done building. Thanks guys :)