unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc2 Available

Download | Release Notes

Main change here is to "revert" to linux kernel 3.0.30 where LSI disk controller chipset support is stable.  When I get an LSI card in-house I'll test with it before moving along with later kernels.

Also, you may notice the download size is half as large as previous versions.  This is no mistake - hat tip to forum user elkay14 who suggested using LZMA2 compression instead of LZ77 used by gzip.  Thank you!

Finally, I have not been able to duplicate NFS issues using Ubuntu running in a VirtualBox VM, so I think I need to set up a "real" system running it - this will need to wait for -rc3.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks, Tom.  I was wearing out my F5 key in anticipation of this.  Once installed I'll run a parity check on a known good array.  I'm running a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, so I can't offer any help regarding LSI cards, but I figure one more test on established hardware can't hurt.  I'm also running Virtualbox, so I'll update that and report back in regards to its functionality after the update.

Installed and running OK, was previously running B12.

Getting these in log, anything to worry about?

May 5 18:01:27 NAS kernel: hdparm: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

May 5 18:01:27 NAS kernel: smartctl: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

Installed and running OK, was previously running B12.

Getting these in log, anything to worry about?

May 5 18:01:27 NAS kernel: smartctl: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

Nothing to worry about:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19819.msg176314#msg176314

Hopefully it'll be suppressed sooner rather than later, the frequency of them suggests that some syslogs might get quite large!

Just downloaded and installed to my flashdrive. I am running Simplefeatures with all plugins. I have not disabled them.

After reboot the array could be started right away, no errors whatsoever.

I have not enabled any plugins at this time and am not using the array actively at this point.

Parity check started to check its speed: approx 30-35 Mb/sec. Would take approx 1 day for my 16TB array with 3TB parity disk (and 8 2TB data drives). No idea if that is a normal speed though.

Started dropbox, itunes and transmission. No active transfers in transmission.

Parity check speeds remains the same.

I have enabled some torrents, parity check speed drops as a result of the torrent transfer to approx 20-25 Mb/sec.

Parity is finding no errors (as expected so I will cancell it and have it run a full run at a better time)

Copying from the array to my windows box gets speeds of 6 to 7 Mb/Sec.

I am not noticing anything out of the ordinary, all seems to work a-ok. I have attached my syslog just in case someone wants to have a look.

syslog.zip

Still getting NFS stale handle errors.

In some folders I can only see the contents when I connect via NFS.

Basically I had a folder full of a ridiculous amount of music, so I made folders in it called A, B, C, D, etc etc, and moved each artist to the relevant folder.  Since then, I can only view the contents of A, B, C etc via NFS (haven't tried AFP yet, gives me permission denied).  If I open up the folder via SMB it shows as empty. 

I'm suspecting it is a split level issue?

Split level is set to 4. Allocation method is high water. 

For those looking to install this into a full Slackware distro or do their own custom development, the command to unbzroot is now:

xzcat bzroot | cpio -m -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames

Updated: For those with a RC2Test system, the following files were updated:

/etc/unraid-version

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp

/usr/local/sbin/shfs

The Kernel .Config option changes are only in the compression level used to be LZMA2 instead of LZ77:

-CONFIG_KERNEL_GZIP=y

+# CONFIG_KERNEL_GZIP is not set

# CONFIG_KERNEL_BZIP2 is not set

-# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA is not set

+CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA=y

I still have the issue when the Apcupsd plugin is installed on boot up, the log gets stuck in a constant refresh when I try to view it.  Installing the plugin manually does not produce the problem until a reboot.

Can anyone suggest how I can track this down?  I don't know if it is an unraid issue or a plugin issue, or my configuration.

As a work around I renamed the plugin to .plug and install it with installplg in the go file.  While this works, it's probably masking an underlying issue with plugins in general or this particular plugin.

As a side, when I copy the plugin to the flash drive when it has not been installed before and re-boot, the plugin does not install.  I have to manually install it with installplg.

I still have the issue when the Apcupsd plugin is installed on boot up, the log gets stuck in a constant refresh when I try to view it.  Installing the plugin manually does not produce the problem until a reboot.

What other plugins are you running?  I'm running the following without any issues so far:

Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

mysql-5.1.66-i468-6atv-renbysimon.plg

couchpotato-0.5-i468-bw.plg

sabnzbd-0.4c-i468-bw.plg

drive_mount-0.2-noarch-1bw.plg

sickbeard-0.4a-i468-1bw.plg

headphones-0.1b-influenced.plg

What other plugins are you running?  I'm running the following without any issues so far:

Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

mysql-5.1.66-i468-6atv-renbysimon.plg

couchpotato-0.5-i468-bw.plg

sabnzbd-0.4c-i468-bw.plg

drive_mount-0.2-noarch-1bw.plg

sickbeard-0.4a-i468-1bw.plg

headphones-0.1b-influenced.plg

I strip everything out down to the bare unraid distro, install Apcupsd and all is good.  When I reboot and try to view the log, it constantly recycles.

You can see my configuration in my signature.  I am using IE9, which I don't think would have anything to do with it.

I strip everything out down to the bare unraid distro, install Apcupsd and all is good.  When I reboot and try to view the log, it constantly recycles.

Then don't install apcupsd until the author of that plug-in fixes it.  report it to them..., or if inclined, fix it yourself if you have the knowledge.

Joe L.

PS. The version from unMENU works fine, and does nothing to the syslog... use it in the interim.

Then don't install apcupsd until the author of that plug-in fixes it.  report it to them..., or if inclined, fix it yourself if you have the knowledge.

Joe L.

PS. The version from unMENU works fine, and does nothing to the syslog... use it in the interim.

Thanks for the feedback.  I wasn't sure where to look.  I'll take a look at the plugin and see what I can dig up.

Like I said, it's a minor issue, but I would rather not have to kludge a fix.

ya the kernel: smartctl: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition! is gonna make logs large

Myk

Turn off the email notifications in Simple Features and they will stop.

It is a bug in SimpleFeatures.  It should not be attempting to use smartctl on a disk partition.  Report it to its developer, or fix it yourself if you have the programming skills.