Release Information

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom, maybe including (at least for Beta/RC's) dumping syslogs every reboot and ever so often, for easier pickup and posting? I remember there was a plugin via unmenu I believe that did just that and zipped it up as well. But no one should be running plugins (lost cause, clearly by the posts), so if you added that, it should be a big help for all. Ex. every half hour, so should it hang and no means of access, everyone would know to wait half hour at least and then cold reboot. There by having a syslog dump upon boot up available. No excuses, couldn't, don't know how, forgot, etc...

As a secondary though, would there also be a way to add to the log, the contains of the go file and file names of files in the extra directory, should the folder exist? I believe this would not require explanation as to why you would want such info :)

Last though (as a joke) encrypt the log, so that it can only be decrypted by you.

all plugins i am running are working fine in 5rc3

sab

couch1

couch2

sickbeard

Headphones

plex

ssh

mysql

traktscrobbler

powerdown script

simple features

SF cache dirs

SF disk stat

SF active streams

SF disk Health

SF System info

SNAP (always been quirky but it does the most important automount a few disks :PTILL WE GET 24 disks in UNRAID ;)

none give me any issues...

And I realize the HW config must be relevant but... I built this machine with so many leftovers that I am not sure what is in there :)

Let me check...

This is a log after booting with stopping the array in WebUI and choosing the shutdown option:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/992303/

...and this is a log after playing a video, stopping the video and shutting down via shutdown button:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/992308/

I copied the bzroot and bzimage from the 4.7 and rebooted. Server came up but just the FLASH shows and when I try to login as ROOT with the password I have always used it does not let me log in. So I can't telnet into the box or see the GUI. Anyone recommend what I should do at this point? If I copy back the RC3 bzroot/bzimage files will I be able to get back into the system?

I copied the bzroot and bzimage from the 4.7 and rebooted. Server came up but just the FLASH shows and when I try to login as ROOT with the password I have always used it does not let me log in. So I can't telnet into the box or see the GUI. Anyone recommend what I should do at this point? If I copy back the RC3 bzroot/bzimage files will I be able to get back into the system?

The default password should be blank (no password). Did you try rebooting the client PC as well?

That didn't work. To be safe I copied the RC3 bzroot/bzimage back to the flash and rebooted. Server came back up with the shares looking ok. I'll have to find the correct procedure to downgrade. I have a feeling it is not easy, and may have to undo all those file permissions I did when I first started with RC3. Everything works fine, except random issues with Sabnzbd (working off another computer) and quick freezes when accessing the server with multiple connections. I wish I could run some kind of monitor type program to see what's really going on.

That didn't work. To be safe I copied the RC3 bzroot/bzimage back to the flash and rebooted. Server came back up with the shares looking ok. I'll have to find the correct procedure to downgrade. I have a feeling it is not easy, and may have to undo all those file permissions I did when I first started with RC3. Everything works fine, except random issues with Sabnzbd (working off another computer) and quick freezes when accessing the server with multiple connections. I wish I could run some kind of monitor type program to see what's really going on.

you probably need to delete the config/passwd, config/shadow, config/smbpasswd files.  Then, you'll need to re-define your users when you revert to the 4.7 version.    If you plan to go back and forth you can just rename the files to passwd.old, smbpasswd.old, shadow.old.  Rename them back if you go back to the 5.0 release.

Possible Issue:

I precleared a disk a few days ago. Added it to the array at bout 4:30 in the AM. Ran out the door to work without "formatting the drive"

When I got home (12ish?). I proceeded to format it via the webGUI (the disk was spun up and about 27c).

It updated the webGUI to say "formatting".

30 Min later (my default timer), the drive spun down while it was still "formatting" in the gui.

Several hours later... (3TB drive is usually a 20Min or less format)

WebGUI is still hung at "Formatting"

the drive is still spun down (#12)

i can still read from the array

I can not write to the array because it looks like my cache drive is stuck in "resizing"..

I honestly did not notice if that happened before or after I attempted the format.

I had written to it since its last reboot.

Syslog and screen shot attached.

VvEE1m.png

PS.

reminder. this is not a clean install.

there are minimal addons and it is virtualized.

I am just reporting it in case someone else has a problem similar to this also.

EDIT:

I noticed this. not sure if it relates.

(from /usr/bin/lsof /dev/md*)

COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE      SIZE/OFF   NODE NAME
mkreiserf 8364 root    1u   BLK   9,12 0x2baa0001000 905022 /dev/md12
mkreiserf 8364 root    3u   BLK   9,12    0t33632256 905022 /dev/md12

syslog-2012-05-18.zip

I've been running RC3 for the past 4-5 days, and it seems pretty solid. I don't use the affected cards so I can't comment on that.

Only issue I have is one that I don't believe will go away, and its nothing to do with unRAID. The Atheros 8131 still drops out quite frequently, usually once an hour. My workaround script to check the network + added to cron takes care of that, I'll get a new NIC to fix this problem...

Haven't experienced any of the other issues. Overall very happy with RC3!

Strange, strange. After going back to a CLEAN RC3 boot with no add-ons or unmenu installed the RC3 boot seems to work better now. I don't see any random freezes like I use to and my media player accesses the user shares much quicker.

What is the easiest way to install add-ons with V5?

I guess this is as good of a place as any, seeing as its for an RC meaning more users will be switching over to V5 and the plug-in architecture. For anyone using a conf for a add-on, and you'd like to see a plug-in, make a request in the plug-ins board so that I or another author can have a look at it. As PeterB pointed out, its the "approved" way, so it'd be good to get the essentials available for everyone.

As I said, the confs work just as good, but I believe users should use one or the other, using both may cause problems(different version packages, etc). Lime-tech could(and IMO should) implement some way of keeping track of what packages are being installed, and if a newer version is installed/being installed, use that instead of the older version. Right now two versions can be installed, which can cause problems.

What is the easiest way to install add-ons with V5?

V5 (from b11 onwards) implements a plugin protocol and this is now the 'approved' method of installing add-ons.  Look here.

There is no plug-in manager yet though, so the process of installing a plug-in is not as easy as the unMENU package manager, but it will get there eventually.  The process of tying the add-ons into the events is evolving, so some add-ons stop themselves, others need to be stopped manually before the array can be stopped.

...using both may cause problems(different version packages, etc). Lime-tech could(and IMO should) implement some way of keeping track of what packages are being installed, and if a newer version is installed/being installed, use that instead of the older version. Right now two versions can be installed, which can cause problems.

Perhaps the plugin system should force unRAID itself to manage the packages/dependencies/programs/versions, and the plugins just call for the dependency/package to unRAID, which gives/installs/runs the one version it has.

i.e. the current/updated couchpotato plugin explicitly calls for python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz, but the former plugins call for python-2.6.4-i486-1.txz.  I suggest they should both call for Python-latest version, or Python-minimum version or higher, or something similar.  Then each can/will function on the same version as all other plugins, since they will all get the same version from the unRAID plugin manager system.  This helps avoid the fragmentation that's been mentioned in the plugin threads.  If each plugin calls for a specific version, something isn't going to get what it wants, or everyone must constantly update everything to stay current.  Pointing to the plugin manager should always work without intervention.

When the plug-in calls for a package, it doesn't "look" for it after installation, it only calls for the package on installation because whatever program it installs needs that package.

Having unraid manage the packages would be undesirable, as an update would be required to get new packages if/when needed. Having the plug-ins call for the package and give the download URL works fine, we just need the plug-in manager to keep track of what packages are being used, and use the latest package. I have messaged Lime-tech about this, with the suggestion to add version and package name as parts of the <FILE> tag in the plug-ins. This would allow unraid to put these in a database and when another plug-in is installed, reference the DB to see if the package is installed, and if the version is equal to or greater than the one requested. If less than, install the new package, if equal or greater, do nothing.

Anyway, off topic for this thread, discussion should be taken elsewhere, :) (ironic I say this as I'm the main culprit here)

A very simple ajax-based webinterface for selecting the priorities of the PLGs would be enough imho, so one can determine the order of installation.

But I guess that is possible just by renaming the filenames as desired. Eg: 01_screen.plg, 02_unrar.plg, 03_sabnzbd.plg, whatevs.

I have installed Sabnzbd using the plug-in and the program operates fine but there is an issue. It seems sabnzbd can create folders, but it can't delete/remove any of them. All my post processing fails because of this. It seems the default permissions are set wrong and there is no way to control this, is there? Even when I try to access some of the folders that sabnzbd creates it tells me "access denied". How can I set the default permissions on RC3 to anything that is written that everyone can access or delete or whatever? This issue has plagued me from the start...and I've had to run that file permissions utility like 3 or 4 times already.