[SOLVED] How to format a 3TB drive not to be included in the protected array?

See solution at bottom of this post.

How do I format a 3TB drive in an UnRAID server that's not to be included in the protected array?

I'm trying to build an unraid server with 3 x 1.5TB in the protected array and an additional shared 3TB outside the array for non-critical files. Later expanding with another 3TB, including both in the array, at which time I'd like to include the 3TB in question without losing the files on it. The array is coming along nicely, thank you, but the 3TB is giving me ...trouble. [insert frustrated scream of choice here.]

HDD: WDC_WD30EZRX (new).

Mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3 (new).

UnRaid v5.0-rc3 (updated from rc2).

Preclear_disk v1.13.

When I formatted it with UnMenu v1.5 Rev 246 and mounted and shared it with Snap v5.08 it looked like I only got 2TB out of it. I am not sure, though, since I'm a Linux noob (old fart hat with computers and XP, though). When I tried again, fdisk sounded like it didn't understand 3TB and mkreiserfs /f didn't seem to create a partition at all. I have really tried to find the answer to this - and maybe I've stumbled over it without understanding it.

I've precleared it a second time now to erase all my bad efforts before humbly seeking help.

SOLUTION:

[*]Preclear with preclear_disk.sh. (Already done.)

preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdX

[*]Partition with gdisk (included in UnRAID) accepting all defaults.

gdisk /dev/sdX

[*]Format with mkreiserfs accepting all defaults.

mkreiserfs /dev/sdX1

[*]Mount and share with Snap through GUI.

Thank you BRiT for pointing out gdisk for me!

Sorry to say I cannot help you but you might be able to help me.. I am trying to figure out what the use is of sharing a disk outside of the array ?  If you would add the disk to the array but put shares on there that you limit to that one disk, do you not get the exact same situation but with the added parity security ?

I must be missing something..

Two reasons I can come up with:

1) Writing to a drive which is part of the protected array is slower, since the parity drive has to be written too.

2) No data drive which is part of the protected array can be bigger than the parity drive.

In the case of the original poster, the 3TB would have to become parity, and the data drives would all  be 1.5TB.

For the original poster, there is an add-on to do just what you want.  Look at SNAP.

Helmoner, PeterB 2) is correct. I'm trying to grow slow due to economical reasons. I already had 3 x 1.5TB. This way I get +1.5TB space by purchasing 3TB. The next 3TB will again give me +1.5TB space while adding both 3TB to the array. The non-critical data is my DVD collection, so I've got the backup in the shelf, so to speak.

PeterB, I've got Snap, as I wrote, but that does not help with the formatting 3TB as 3TB problem. Snap is actually not needed, as one can mount and share a drive with UnMenu.

Don't have an answer for you regarding the Format.

But for this:

Later expanding with another 3TB, including both in the array, at which time I'd like to include the 3TB in question without losing the files on it.

You won't be able to add a disk to the array and maintain the data on it. It will need to be pre-cleared. Either by using the preclear_disk.sh script or unRaid will do it when you add it to the array. If unRaid does it, your array is unavailable during the entire clearing process which can be lengthy.

Therefore, you would have to either move the files onto an array disk before you wipe the 3TB drive out, or wipe it out and re-rip whatever you had on the 3TB drive. A lot of time/effort potentially.

If I was you, I would go ahead and add the 3TB drive as Parity Drive now, use your current parity drive to expand your data storage. Then as you get new drives in, you don't need to worry about the time/effort of shuffling things around later or re-ripping.

Helmoner, PeterB 2) is correct. I'm trying to grow slow due to economical reasons. I already had 3 x 1.5TB. This way I get +1.5TB space by purchasing 3TB. The next 3TB will again give me +1.5TB space while adding both 3TB to the array. The non-critical data is my DVD collection, so I've got the backup in the shelf, so to speak.

PeterB, I've got Snap, as I wrote, but that does not help with the formatting 3TB as 3TB problem. Snap is actually not needed, as one can mount and share a drive with UnMenu.

I get the economic reasons ! Thanks for explaining.

but the 3TB is giving me ...trouble.

HDD: WDC_WD30EZRX (new).

Mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3 (new).

UnRaid v5.0-rc3 (updated from rc2).

Preclear_disk v1.13.

fdisk sounded like it didn't understand 3TB and mkreiserfs /f didn't seem to create a partition at all

I do not know if fdisk can use disks larger than 2.2TB in size. Look into using "gdisk". It's located in 5.0rc3 as /sbin/gdisk, so it should be in your path. To find docs on it search google for "man gdisk". For drives larger than 2.2TB unRAID uses 'sgdisk' which is a scriptable interface to 'gdisk'.

If that doesn't see the drive as larger than 2.2TB then it could easily be a limitation of your motherboard/bios/sata controller combination.

Thank you very, very much indeed, BRiT! That was exactly the answer I so desperately needed.

Preclear + gdisk + mkreiserfs + Snap = A shared 3TB drive in my UnRAID server outside the protected array. Exactly the way I wanted.

As I'm writing this I'm copying files like there's no tomorrow. Then some testing. When I've verified that all is honey in the beehive I'll add 'SOLVED' to the subject and add a step-by-step how-to in the first post.

graywolf, thank you for your suggestion.

You won't be able to add a disk to the array and maintain the data on it. It will need to be pre-cleared.

I see. But I think that's ok. When I eventually get another 3TB disk, I'll

0) pay for an UnRAID Plus registration key.

1) remove my current 1.5TB parity disk,

2) add the new 3TB disk to the array,

3) move all files from my current 3TB to the new 3TB,

4) add my old 1.5TB parity disk to the array as a data disk,

5) assign current 3TB to be the new parity disk.

I would go ahead and add the 3TB drive as Parity Drive now, use your current parity drive to expand your data storage.

Ah yes, but I currently have no parity drive - yet. I embarked on this journey with 3 chock full 1.5TB disks in Windows XP. This way I get 3TB in the protected array + 3TB unprotected in a single server. That's +1.5TB total storage now, and another +1.5TB when I add another 3TB. And since BRiT told me about 'gdisk' (see my previous post) I think it'll work.

graywolf, thank you for your suggestion.

You won't be able to add a disk to the array and maintain the data on it. It will need to be pre-cleared.

I see. But I think that's ok. When I eventually get another 3TB disk, I'll

0) pay for an UnRAID Plus registration key.

1) remove my current 1.5TB parity disk,

2) add the new 3TB disk to the array,

3) move all files from my current 3TB to the new 3TB,

4) add my old 1.5TB parity disk to the array as a data disk,

5) assign current 3TB to be the new parity disk.

I would go ahead and add the 3TB drive as Parity Drive now, use your current parity drive to expand your data storage.

Ah yes, but I currently have no parity drive - yet. I embarked on this journey with 3 chock full 1.5TB disks in Windows XP. This way I get 3TB in the protected array + 3TB unprotected in a single server. That's +1.5TB total storage now, and another +1.5TB when I add another 3TB. And since BRiT told me about 'gdisk' (see my previous post) I think it'll work.

OK. So currently you are running unRaid basic with 3x 1.5TB data drives (filled with data), no parity. Therefore currently unprotected.

After you format the 3TB, you will move data from one of the 1.5TB drives to the 3TB drive.

Then you will use that 1.5TB drive and assign it as a parity drive so you will get at least protection on the other 2x 1.5TB drives and have a 3TB drive which is outside (unprotected) of the array.

Then when you get another 3TB drive, you will continue with the other steps to have a 3TB drive parity drive and have the other drives all in the array

Do I understand correctly now?

LOTTO, graywolf! (I'm so darn old I can't get me head 'round this newfangled "bingo" stuff.)

Well, actually I'm currently running unraid basic with just 2 x 1.5TB data, waiting for the third 1.5TB soon to be parity, currently in my Windows XP, dumping its files on the glorious newly partitioned, formatted, mounted and shared 3TB (outside the array).

I don't think you can run unraid basic with 3 data drives. Only 2 supported + parity. At least that's what it looks like in my GUI.