when Sabnzbd tries to create a folder or something is will error out

I'm also having write issues. All of a sudden when Sabnzbd tries to create a folder or something is will error out and not be able to create it. I've done the file permissions "fix" and I'm doing it again right now. Hopefully that's what it is.

I'm also having write issues. All of a sudden when Sabnzbd tries to create a folder or something is will error out and not be able to create it. I've done the file permissions "fix" and I'm doing it again right now. Hopefully that's what it is.

You have been very vocal about the length of time it has taken for 5 to go final. I assume you have sabnzbd running as a unraid addon? If so then how about doing as you are asked and not running any addons!

Please post a full copy of your syslog if you want to be helped.

You have been very vocal about the length of time it has taken for 5 to go final. I assume you have sabnzbd running as a unraid addon? If so then how about doing as you are asked and not running any addons!

I'm not running Sabnzbd on the unraid box. I never said I was.

How full is the filesystem you are writing to?

I've found that when the filesystem has allot of files, it can take a long time to open a new file. So long in fact that the smb connection times out.

How full is the filesystem you are writing to?

I've found that when the filesystem has allot of files, it can take a long time to open a new file. So long in fact that the smb connection times out.

Entire filesystem is about %60-%70 full. I mean that's why people use unraid, to fill up a filesystem. If it cannot perform normally when there are a lot of files then some thing is wrong. My sabnzbd program uses SMB and my media players use NFS. Ever since I switched to 5RC3 weird write errors. For some reason I had to re-run the permissions fix twice....and it may look like I need to run it again. Can someone throw those commands in a text file so I can just run it via the console instead of the web gui? Right now I'm sticking with it, but if the weirdness continues I'll just switch back to 4.7, that's all.

It's the same deal with most filesystems (more accurately, filesystems on rotating media). Anything beyond 99% usage on a single disk and it'll slow down. I stick to 95% fill rate for each of my disks, never had a problem with filesystems.

Anything copying to SMB shouldn't have a problem - would be interesting to see which end has the problem  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

When Sabnzbd or Sickbeard tries to create folder/files on my unraid box their logs don't say much if the write/create fails. That's why it has been a tough battle. Anyway, I removed ALL add-ons and plugins I had and the server does seem to run a little quicker and does have less "weird" errors. Sabnzbd and Sickbeard have had less problems but once in a while I'll still get write errors and create errors. My Sickbeard uses post processing. So it basically creates a folder on the unraid box which it unpacks everything then when it tries to move/rename the final file it fails out. Now, this happens only about %20 of the time. Post processing on other downloads have worked just fine. That's why it has been hard for me to explain and find anything in the logs. My Sickbeard and Sab installs run on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

When Sabnzbd or Sickbeard tries to create folder/files on my unraid box their logs don't say much if the write/create fails. That's why it has been a tough battle. Anyway, I removed ALL add-ons and plugins I had and the server does seem to run a little quicker and does have less "weird" errors. Sabnzbd and Sickbeard have had less problems but once in a while I'll still get write errors and create errors. My Sickbeard uses post processing. So it basically creates a folder on the unraid box which it unpacks everything then when it tries to move/rename the final file it fails out. Now, this happens only about %20 of the time. Post processing on other downloads have worked just fine. That's why it has been hard for me to explain and find anything in the logs. My Sickbeard and Sab installs run on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

As a test, can you set up your configuration so that your application access only disk shares directly?

Also, earlier you mentioned needing to run 'New Permissions' script multiple times - why did you do this?  Can you get your server into a state where running the script would fix it?  If so, get it into that state, and then leave it that way so we can troubleshoot what's going on.

There may be two separate issues, or symptoms of the same issue.

As a test, can you set up your configuration so that your application access only disk shares directly?

Also, earlier you mentioned needing to run 'New Permissions' script multiple times - why did you do this?  Can you get your server into a state where running the script would fix it?  If so, get it into that state, and then leave it that way so we can troubleshoot what's going on.

There may be two separate issues, or symptoms of the same issue.

Ok, I will do that. Give me a day or two to set it all up, since I have to change folder locations and all that. I'll just use the most empty disk I have and see how that works out.

Having to run the permissions multiple times "possibly" could have been after a Linux install of Sabnzbd has the option to what you want the default file/folder permissions to be set as. Windows Sabnzbd does not have this option and I was unaware of that, so I left the Linux option blank. This may have been contributing to creating folder with the wrong permissions, hence me having to run the permissions fix multiple times. I can also put that to rest while I'm testing out above.

Thanks,

Michael

I've done more testing and have found out that unraid is holding or using the folders it creates longer then it should. For example when my Sickbeard program copies the unpack folder to my unraid share, the permissions are fine. Soon as the Sickbeard program tries to move/rename the folder it will fail at this point. BUT it does not happen %100 of the time. This is the same issue I get when I try to delete some folders from my Windows machine and it tells me I do not have the access but soon as I hit TRY AGAIN it will remove the folder. Somehow unraid has a lock/hold on these folders and once Windows sees anything like that it will usually fail. This type of behavior did not happen in 4.7 version, hence me never seeing these type of problems. It does make sense to me and all the symptoms I've been having can point to the folders being held or at least being held for milliseconds before an operation is done to them.