Data on USB pen drive corrupted and UnRAID is not booting anymore

When trying to boot I got this message:

Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

After that I plugged the USB pen drive into my laptop and the dirve name was:

-I?a?¶Ko?o?±.5e?1

On the drive there is a file with the same name and two folders: .fseventsd and logs.

What happended? How can I solve this?

I was running UnRAID 4.7.

I see something, like this just preceeded with a lot of similar lines:

ls: ƒ3)N\020î?G.­\030ò: No such file or directory
ls: ƒ3)N\020î?G.­\030ò: No such file or directory
ls: ƒh\021æ\023öª..e\023 : No such file or directory
ls: ƒh\021æ\023öª..e\023 : No such file or directory
ls: ˆ:½èñåºú.òŒ?: No such file or directory
ls: ˆ:½èñåºú.òŒ?: No such file or directory
ls: „Ðÿ˜:Hœ×.²\033(: No such file or directory
ls: „Ðÿ˜:Hœ×.²\033(: No such file or directory
ls: †\032ð’\037\020àå.Þo7: No such file or directory
ls: †\032ð’\037\020àå.Þo7: No such file or directory
ls: †í\001”æe#ˆ.Ë_\024: No such file or directory
ls: †í\001”æe#ˆ.Ë_\024: No such file or directory
ls: ‰Ï¸Sµ\025éº.æ:a: No such file or directory
ls: ‰Ï¸Sµ\025éº.æ:a: No such file or directory
ls: ‰mçÁˆ™å¨.£2j: No such file or directory
ls: ‰mçÁˆ™å¨.£2j: No such file or directory
ls: ›?‹ô±í´V.\031\006ô: No such file or directory
ls: ›?‹ô±í´V.\031\006ô: No such file or directory
total 15833728
-rwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff  4053326135 Jan 21  2075 -Íá¶Kòõ±.5è1
-rwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff  4053326135 Jan 21  2075 -Íá¶Kòõ±.5è1
drwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff       32768 May 29 19:53 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 5 root            admin         170 May 29 19:54 ..
drwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff       32768 May 29 19:53 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 ***  staff       32768 May 29 19:53 .Trashes
-rwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff        4096 May 29 19:53 ._.Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff       32768 May 29 19:53 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwx  1 ***  staff       32768 May 29 18:45 logs

What is there to recover? Sadly I didn't make a backup since my system was not really up and running...

Make a backup of the Key (If you have the plus, or pro version.) your share and user settings/folder, then once you know you have everything that you must have to keep all your current settings, reformat the flash drive to start over. (Taking a screen shot of the webgui with the drive ID,s is a huge help, unless you already have that.) Any and all add ons can be added one by one once you have everything ironed out. (Don't save the add ons, as one of those may be the problem.)

This has saved my system a couple times!

Good luck!

My UnRAID was up an running since a half year. There is a lot to loose...

As I said, there isn't too much to fix since all data on the drive got corrupted. All there is left are the syslogs.

Make a backup of the Key (If you have the plus, or pro version.) your share and user settings/folder, then once you know you have everything that you must have to keep all your current settings, reformat the flash drive to start over. (Taking a screen shot of the webgui with the drive ID,s is a huge help, unless you already have that.) Any and all add ons can be added one by one once you have everything ironed out. (Don't save the add ons, as one of those may be the problem.)

Good luck!

As I said, there isn't too much to fix since all data on the drive got corrupted. All there is left are the syslogs.

If you cannot get a screen-shot of the disk assignment page, usually the list of assigned disks can be found in an old syslog.

If you have one of those, you can figure out how the disks were assigned.

You should use scandisk/checkdisk on windows to see if it can repair the corruption of the flash drive to where you can get to the config folder and save a copy of its files.  It could be that the flash drive has simply died.

In the interim, get a NEW flash drive.  Prepare it as if it is a new unRAID system.  Boot it up, but DO NOT ASSIGN A PARITY DRIVE...  not yet.

You can assign data drives, and get to your data.  It is best to not write to the array, as parity will not be kept in sync.  You can just take some comfort in knowing the data is there.    While the NEW flash drive is booted, get its unique GUID from the settings page.

You'll need to send [email protected] an e-mail describing how your flash drive has failed  and request a replacement .key file.      Until you get it, you'll only be able to get to 2 of your data drives.

Once you get the replacement .key file, copy it to the new flash drive and assign only data drives.  They should ALL be able to be mounted.  If ANY show as un-formatted STOP.  Do not press the format button.  Get help here instead.    (A drive appearing as un-formatted is likely to be your parity drive)

Good luck!

If you cannot get a screen-shot of the disk assignment page, usually the list of assigned disks can be found in an old syslog.

If you have one of those, you can figure out how the disks were assigned.

You should use scandisk/checkdisk on windows to see if it can repair the corruption of the flash drive to where you can get to the config folder and save a copy of its files.  It could be that the flash drive has simply died.

In the interim, get a NEW flash drive.  Prepare it as if it is a new unRAID system.  Boot it up, but DO NOT ASSIGN A PARITY DRIVE...  not yet.

You can assign data drives, and get to your data.  It is best to not write to the array, as parity will not be kept in sync.  You can just take some comfort in knowing the data is there.    While the NEW flash drive is booted, get its unique GUID from the settings page.

You'll need to send [email protected] an e-mail describing how your flash drive has failed  and request a replacement .key file.      Until you get it, you'll only be able to get to 2 of your data drives.

Once you get the replacement .key file, copy it to the new flash drive and assign only data drives.  They should ALL be able to be mounted.  If ANY show as un-formatted STOP.  Do not press the format button.  Get help here instead.    (A drive appearing as un-formatted is likely to be your parity drive)

Thank you for your answer.

I will try scandisk. Isn't there an alternative on Mac?

It doesn't work...

Verify and Repair volume “UNRAID”
Checking file systemVolume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

The data is lost, right?

How can I build UnRAID from scratch that my data won't get lost?

Follow Joe's advice. You can reformat the existing flash drive and and reinstall unRAID with the proper key, if any. The data drives should be recognized and the data unaffected.

And... you should be aware there is an outstanding bug in 4.7.  It shows itself in your specific case, when re-building a bad flash drive.

The bug is this.  Your existing data drives were probably all partitioned to start the first partition on sector 63. (I'm assuming you've had your array for a while)

If you set the preference to 4k-aligned in the 4.7 version of unRAID and have some older un-alligned disks, they will not be correctly identified, the MBR will be written as if they were 4k-aligned, and they are not.  The end result is they will show as un-formatted in the web-interface.  They are actually formatted, but your partition pointer is pointing to the wrong start.  The same can happen is there are 4k-aligned disks, but the preference when you load the new 4.7 version of unRAID on the flash drive is set to un-aligned. 

The fix is easy, a small script I wrote long ago can fix the partition pointer in a few seconds.. (as long as you do not press the FORMAT button, no damage will happen to your files.)  so if you see un-formatted disks, let us know and we'll confirm the partitioning and get you to supply some data to ensure you can see the existing partitions properly.

You can read through this thread and see what will need to be checked to confirm the partitioning...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15385.0

I have a dance lesson this evening, but will check back later, after my wife and I get back home.

Joe L.

Thank you! I will do that. I know that I have a WD EARS harddrive installed that needs to be precleared specially. The other data drive is a samsung. I will report back as soon as I know more.

This is incorrect. All disks should be pre-cleared in the exact same manner (including EARS). The only exception is an existing EARS drive that was installed with a jumper in versions previous to 4.7. Do you have an EARS drive that was installed with a jumper? If not, then treat the drive as if it were any other drive.

Thank you! I will do that. I know that I have a WD EARS harddrive installed that needs to be precleared specially. The other data drive is a samsung. I will report back as soon as I know more.

Just be aware... you should NOT clear any drives...  All we need to do is make sure you do not accidentally FORMAT any drive, and if you keep from clicking on a "Format" button, that is not an issue... Alsoneed to keep you from assigning a current data drive as a parity drive, as that would overwrite it. 

If you refrain from initially assigning ANY parity drive, that will not be an issue.

If you only assign the data drives, and none show as un-formatted, then you can assign the remaining drive as the parity drive.  If ANY show as un-formatted, seek help here.

Since you have an EARS drive, if you can check (or remember) if it has the jumper installed to have it electrically add 1 to the requested sector, that information will also help.

The data is lost, right?

I've had help repair an unRAID server for a customer that literally snapped the flash drive in half, the same afternoon I finished getting everything working. If you have a record of your disk assignments or physically labelled the drives then you can be up and running again pretty much as quick as it takes to get a new key from Tom. Luckily in his case I had a screenshot of the devices page. I personally wouldn't risk using that flash drive again (at least for your unRAID boot drive) considering how cheap they are to replace.

I have a dance lesson this evening, but will check back later, after my wife and I get back home.

Joe L.

I don't know why, but for some reason this is the LAST thing I ever expected to hear you say Joe ;D

Thank you all for the support!

Ok, so here is what I'll do:

[*]Install UnRAID on a new flash drive

[*]Check what the status is

[*]Report back what I see

Do I have to preclear my drives again? Obviously I will move the data before I will do that. I started with UnRAID 4.7. None of my drives have jumpers. If I rember that correclty, I did format it with that special EARS option. I followed this tutorial:

Since there wil be a 5.x release some time would you suggest immediately switching or is there a way to make the migration less complicated when setting up 4.7?

Do I have to preclear my drives again?

No
I started with UnRAID 4.7. None of my drives have jumpers. If I rember that correclty, I did format it with that special EARS option.
In that case, set unRAID for 4k-aligned before you assign your drives (I think 5.0 is distributed that way,  but not sure of 4.7 default...  )

Since there wil be a 5.x release some time would you suggest immediately switching or is there a way to make the migration less complicated when setting up 4.7?

It might complicate your life a bit less going to 5.0 now.  There is supposed to be a release today/really soon of 5.0-rc4.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

How far away is a stable release?

Nobody knows. Tom was really active here for a couple weeks, gathering information and addressing issues. Now he seems to have gone underground again, presumably working on some of the issues that didn't have quick fixes. I really wouldn't hold my breath, it could be anywhere from weeks to months until 5 goes completely stable. Nobody here but Tom can say, and he doesn't usually give forecasts.

How far away is a stable release?

Nobody here but Tom can say, and he doesn't usually give forecasts.

I like to think that LimeTech is a lot like Blizzard. They don't announce release dates, they don't make too many promises but when the final product does get released, it was worth the wait.

Archived