Perc 5/i HELP!!!

Hello all...

after many days of trying to get things to work, changing motherboards, video cards, network cards, flash drives, and everything else in between, I FINALLY have my Perc 5/i cards being seen by the computer, and from what I know, and can tell, they are set up properly, but unRaid still does not see the drives.

IN the Perc 5/i config utility, I have created each drive as its own virtual disk, so currently, there are 3 drives on it, with 3 VD's, and things seem to be fine.

Booting into unRaid, (version 5rc3), nothing shows up in the boot screen, or in the menu screen about any disks.

From what I know/read, these cards are supposed to work, but so far, all I can do is see them once they 'appear' to be initialized on the raid bios post screen.

Does anyone know what else I am to do?  what else should make this work?  am I just wasting my time with these cards?

any help, please... PLEASE!!!

Steve.

You need to flash the Perc5/i down to IT mode and not do any configuration within that card. Do not use IR mode or setup.  Let the card pass through the drives as if they're JBOD. You will also need to be running unRAID 5.0 RC3 or NEWER version.

Ok, so we have flashed the Perc 5/i with the 7.0.1-0083 LSI firmware to bring it up to date. There still is no recognition of the attached discs in unRAID (5rc3). We can get into the BIOS of the card, and it sees drives attached to it, but unRAID still cannot seem to recognize the controller (or the drives). Someone mentioned flashing it to IT mode, but we are not sure how to do that...

Any more ideas? We appreciate the help, these are decent cards, just can't figure out how to get them to to work with unRAID :(

@dgaschk:  I am using the perc 5/i, which I don't see in that list.  I have flashed it with a newer bios version, and I have tried following the steps for the megaraid lsi card, but that doesn't work, because it is hte perc 5/i card, not the megaraid.

I have spent countless hours on this, and I am no further ahead than when I started...  can you maybe hopefully point me into a more clearer/defined direction?

I am pulling out my hair here... and based on my father, and his brothers, I shouldn't be doing this as there wont be much left soon!

thanks in advance!

Steve.

As others have mentioned, what you want for unRaid is a flash into HBA/IT (Initiator Target) mode - according to LSI, this mode of firmware does not exist for this card.  Below is a response someone got direct from LSI.  I've also scoured their file repository and can't see an IT firmware for this card.

http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?291-LSI-8480E-with-3TB-drives-and-or-IT-mode

SNIP:

Well, I emailed LSI Support with these questions. Their terse but succinct response was:

- You will not be able to see the entire capacity of your 3TB drives if you connect them to the 8480E. If they do show you will only see 2TB of the total size.

- The Megaraid 8480E is a hardware controller card and there is no initiator target firmware available for it.

My recommendation would be to do as you stated - put the 5i's up on ebay and get some M1015's instead! :)