IBM ServeRAID M1015 vs SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

I am currently running a 3Ware 9650se-24m8 in a Norco 4224 case.  Performance is terrible running 15 WD 2TB Blacks, drives were constantly falling out of the array while using the card for raid 6 and running windows 2008r2

i have decided to use unRAID.  I have just received 1 (of 3 planned) IBM ServeRAID M1015 to replace the 9650 with.  I have flashed it with the LSI IT mode firmware according to Madburg's thread.

i have had my eye on SuperMicro's AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 also.

Does anyone have experience with both cards?  What is the success rate with each while using unRAID?  I would like to know before i but the remainder of the cards and make sure i don't want to switch to the SuperMicro variant.

Thanks

Good read here - http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10

M1015 is based on the LSI SAS2008 and its current support (and future support) is probably going to be better.

M1015 has price advantage if one is patient enough to look around for a deal and is located in USA (you may be able to buy 2 and perhaps even three M1015 for the same price as a single SM card)

If you are going to reuse these 15 2TB black HDs and have already chosen Unraid 100% you can get the job done with the previous generation cards - such as BR10i as I suspect one can find cards like this for $25-30. These are SATA2, PCIe 1.0 and limited to 2.2TB hard drives capacity.

Does either of these cards work with UnRAID v4.4.2 or do I need to upgrade? I really would like to stick with v4.4.2 but would need a replacement (and expansion room) for my two Sil3132 2-port SATA cards. I'm planning to attach 2TB drives only atm to the new card if it makes a difference.

If these are not supported is my best option is to get the 1st generation Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8?

M1015 only works with v5. I know the saslp-mv8 works in 4.7 not sure on 4.4x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I justs noticed that I answered the question for the SASLP-MV8 not the SAS2LP-MV8..

The SAS2LP-MV8 does not work in unraid until V5Beta10 or something like that..

• 4 weeks later...