[SOLVED] 4.7 to 5.0rc4 - Too many incorrect drives

Followed upgrade instructions on main rc4 download page.

Started with 5.0-rc4, no drives assigned.  Manually assigned drives correctly (see attached), but too many 'wrong' drives.

Did not change hardware, anything.  Removed all customizations from go before starting.  Re-checked and rebooted, same results as screenshot.

Didn't know what to do, so back to 4.7 (there is a lot of data on my unraid I do not want to lose).

Any thoughts?  I see this thread (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15385.15) but that would preclude me from going backwards, yes?

(Sorry for the lack of syslog.txt, I had already reverted to get my array back online)

unraid5_wrong.jpg.4a0656089b8d1ac9f6b628ea68f6b462.jpg

Followed upgrade instructions on main rc4 download page.

Started with 5.0-rc4, no drives assigned.  Manually assigned drives correctly (see attached), but too many 'wrong' drives.

Did not change hardware, anything.  Removed all customizations from go before starting.  Re-checked and rebooted, same results as screenshot.

Didn't know what to do, so back to 4.7 (there is a lot of data on my unraid I do not want to lose).

Any thoughts?  I see this thread (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15385.15) but that would preclude me from going backwards, yes?

(Sorry for the lack of syslog.txt, I had already reverted to get my array back online)

Since it sounds like you successfully reverted back to 4.7, you must have a complete backup of the config folder?  If so, that's great!  Your data should be safe, so long as you don't try anything from that thread you linked!  That does not apply to you!

The situation is a little confusing, because your pic shows 5 drives still assigned (although badly corrupted), but you said that you "started with 5.0-rc4, no drives assigned".  When it started, did it appear to have no drives assigned?  I believe that normally, when converting from v4 and starting v5, the drive assignments should come across still intact, and all you should have to do is verify each drive, make sure each is assigned correctly and the MBR's show correct alignment.

The easy solution is to go to the new Utils tab and select the New Config tool.  That would throw away the old assignments and start fresh.  However, I don't trust your super.dat and/or disk.cfg files, because of the evident corruption.  After making absolutely sure you have your v4.7 config folder saved, I recommend deleting super.dat and possibly replacing disk.cfg too, both of which are in your config folder on the flash drive.  You would replace disk.cfg by extracting and copying the one from within the v5.0-rc4 distribution.  With no super.dat and a fresh clean disk.cfg, you will appear to be brand new.  You will have only lost a few disk settings, such as spin down values and spin group settings, but I don't trust the current values any way, they may also be corrupt.

It could be very helpful if you would attach a copy of the 4.7 super.dat and disk.cfg, and if you happen to have a copy of the v5 config folder before you reverted back to 4.7 (or try it again and save them), it would be interesting to see a copy of the corrupted v5 super.dat and disk.cfg.  Perhaps Tom will see something he can improve.

The pic shows the 5 drives assigned after I manually assigned them, per the previous list I saved.  To me, it looked like 5.0 did not see the drives the same as 4.7, but I was lost at that point and did not want to risk losing my array.

I have attached the 4.7 files super.dat and disk.cfg.

If I delete them and 'start new' as you suggest, do I risk losing my data, or will unRaid see the data already there?  I think that the worst case would be it would have to rebuild the parity disk, yes?

If I get a chance to re-try later today, I will.  I have a backup of the entire flash drive for 4.7, if I try and fail again, I will be sure to copy the failed 5.0rc4 files for examination.

disk.cfg

super_dat.zip

The pic shows the 5 drives assigned after I manually assigned them, per the previous list I saved.  To me, it looked like 5.0 did not see the drives the same as 4.7, but I was lost at that point and did not want to risk losing my array.

I have attached the 4.7 files super.dat and disk.cfg.

If I delete them and 'start new' as you suggest, do I risk losing my data, or will unRaid see the data already there?  I think that the worst case would be it would have to rebuild the parity disk, yes?

If I get a chance to re-try later today, I will.  I have a backup of the entire flash drive for 4.7, if I try and fail again, I will be sure to copy the failed 5.0rc4 files for examination.

If you set a new configuration all should be recognized.  You can do that on the "Utils" tab, using "New Config"

If ANY drive shows as unformatted, DO NOT FORMAT IT.  It typically indicates the MBR has been incorrectly identified by unRAID. In fact, I'd not start the array until seeking more guidance from lime-tech.

The pic shows the 5 drives assigned after I manually assigned them, per the previous list I saved.

I should have explained better, that the 5 'Wrong's showing in your pic shows that 5 drives were assigned, otherwise it would not know that your new assignments were 'Wrong' (did not match the previous assignments).  If there had been nothing assigned, then nothing could be wrong with the new assignments.

It looks to me as if there was a 4 byte data slide, data being offset by 4 bytes from where it should be.  Your 4.7 disk.cfg and super.dat (in just a quick look) appear to be fine.  So as Joe says, using the New Config should bring you back up.  I was afraid they were corrupted.  Just make sure you check all disk settings, both for the individual disks and the general spin delay and spin group settings.

'New config' worked.

Tested the 'sleep' command found in other threads, it seems to work also, which is important for how I use my unRaid (video/music/file server).

Tentatively solved, I am running Utils/New Permissions which I hope will fix my inability to access some of my shares.  Once that is done, we are good.

[Edit] New permissions (and a Windoze reboot) took care of the problems.