Custom Xeon Dual Core 24 Bay SATA Ebay Server

jochs

If you purchased the $200 or $225 version of this server: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150813402842?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1957wt_1396

This is the troubleshooting thread.

Current Issues to address:

• USB Flash Drive boot. (Solved: Push X to activate the USB flash drive in the bios, Then Shift+ to move it to top then disable everything else in the boot.)
  • Very loud fans..good alternative fans?
  • Remote Access via SuperMicro's IPMI working?

If you purchased the $200 or $225 version of this server: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150813402842?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1957wt_1396

I am having issues getting the motherboard to boot off a flash drive. Anyone having any success?

Anyone tested 3TB/4TB drives with the controller cards?

They've been tested with 3TB drives.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11183.msg109527#msg109527

Mine just arrived. The corner was bent (UPS didnt like it much). With a little work I got all the trays out. So far it powers on. Some new fans are probably in order, but I think just getting it up and running is first.

Probably going to load ubuntu usb version and run some various utilities. 

Current Issues to address:

• USB Flash Drive boot. (Solved: Push X to activate the USB flash drive in the bios, Then Shift+ to move it to top)
  • Very loud fans..good alternative fans?

I'm still having trouble getting this to boot off usb, but I did install ubuntu on a spare sata HD and got it up and running. So far things seem to be working fine. It is quite loud with those turbines.

I got it to boot off of USB no problem. You need to enter the board BIOS and change the boot options. I actually turned off and removed all options other than my USB flash drive. It is also important to note that you can have the USB drive set as a option, but also have it "Disabled". Make sure that once you have it in position 1, there is not a little arrow like icon next to it. I had accidentally disabled the device and then set it as priority 1. Once I corrected that, bam....No issues.

Thanks, that did it. I'm thinking get the unraid server running, then something about the noise....

The thread about the amd servers had some good ideas.

These units are loud primarily because of the PSU fans. The 60mm fans are actually not that bad. They force tons of air, and could easily be replaced with other 60mm or even some 80mm's using the adapters.

If you can get past the PSU fan noise, you can easily modify a Norco 120MM fan plate in without any modification at all. The mid wall plate fits almost perfectly, it is pretty nice.

I was thinking that with some decent 120mm's the heat from the HDD's would get forced to the rear and the slot fans on the sides, along with the rear 60/80mm fans, would force it out.

Although the modifications that other users have done are awesome, I am in no hurry to purchase a PSU, the Norco rear case housing, and also put in the work to remove and remount all the components.

I am going to disconnect the 60mm fans tonight and see how loud the PSU fans are on their own. I think I can live with the noise as this server will be in a rack in my garage, but I need to get the cooling correct.

Anyone have recommendations on 120mm fans that are relatively thin and will force a good amount of air? What about the best overall noise/air flow ratio?

OK, so I'm a new unraid user. This is the troubleshooting thread (though more oriented to hardware than this).

I got unraid up and running, and have been following the configuration tutorial. However, I can't access via telnet or //tower or //192.168.1.150. The connection times out. Both computers are connected via wired ethernet with a apple airport extreme base station in the middle. It's probably something simple. If there is a thread that my search didnt return, let me know. syslog attached.

syslog.txt

Just got my box today...thing's built like a tank!  I still need to fire it up but I'm guessing most people are going to eventually upgrade the dual core to either one or two xeon quads.  I'm new to unraid so is there any reason to get a faster quad (more wattage) vs a slightly slower quad (one of the L versions that uses less wattage)?  Still thinking of what else I do with this box besides streaming movies from it and what kind of horsepower I might need.

Thanks

So it looks like the fans from the PSU' are tolerable if this thing is going to be in the garage, but the 60mm fans are on a  whole other level. I am tempted to keep those fans on there though, because the amount of air they push is insane.

I am still concerned that the stock cooling scheme will not be sufficient unless inside a server room, but I may have to give it a go with the trial version of unraid and as many drives as are supported.

Going to search out some 120mm fans this weekend and still look at retrofitting in the norco fan plate.

I unhooked the back 2 fans and my drives are staying around 90F. Still to loud though.

How many drives do you have, what is your ambient temp. The slot fans don't seem to move enough air to cool down drives by themselves. Unless you are in a really cool climate I expect those drives will get hot fast once spun up.

I have the amd version of this server - took 10 days to make it over the pond but made it with just a bent corner. A few hits with a copper hammer and its all fine.

Already updated the bios, got the dual 6 core processers installed and got it booted. My unraid key has got stuck in customs so been waiting for that for a while - fingers crossed it will be here in the next couple of weeks.

I've unplugged the 60mm fans to see the reduction of noise and while it helped, the two radial fans on each side of the case helped a lot more.

Just need to learn the system now and see how to get all the add ons and packages installed.

I have the amd version of this server - took 10 days to make it over the pond but made it with just a bent corner. A few hits with a copper hammer and its all fine.

Already updated the bios, got the dual 6 core processers installed and got it booted. My unraid key has got stuck in customs so been waiting for that for a while - fingers crossed it will be here in the next couple of weeks.

I've unplugged the 60mm fans to see the reduction of noise and while it helped, the two radial fans on each side of the case helped a lot more.

Just need to learn the system now and see how to get all the add ons and packages installed.

Hmm, I did not even check the two slot fans for their sound levels. You are saying those were louder than the 60mm fans?

What CPU did you go with? With Plex transcoding, Sickbeard indexing, and Sab extracting things tend to get laggy.

I haven't read this entire thread. So forgive me if this has been covered.

Have you adjusted the BIOS setting for fan speeds and selected the type of fans, how many pins 3 or 4, to reduce speeds. Hence less noise?

This board gives you the option of full blast or pick a profile.