Wake on Keyboard or Wake on LAN Both Don't Work

OK, so the Unraid is working awesome. I've stored it in the attic with some other computers to keep it company (don't worry the other computers are jealous but won't hurt the lil' tyke, he's far to big and scary. Now I've got it hooked up to my network with a KVM switch. The only problem is I can't get it to turn on by keyboard or wake on lan. I've tried both and I've set the correct things in the BIOS. I remember years ago trying wake on lan for another computer and never got it working. I've read tutorial after tutorial this weekend but nothing works.

BIG QUESTION: Turning the computer off regular style from the webpage interface is that the way to power down? Some tutorials for WOL say something about soft shutdown or something to that effect, AM I just missing a crucial item but not shutting down to a state where it can wake up? If so what do I do.

As fas as my BIOS I set it to wake on keyboard and set it to "any key". I turn off the unraid by stopping the array and then powering down. I then press any key and nothing happens.

As for my system I'm using an ECS P4M800Pro-M3 mobo, built in LAN, KVM switch with a wireless keyboard and optical mouse (those work fine, well the mouse is useless but the keyboard works at the command prompt in Unraid). I think it's a celeron processor.

Wake on LAN is a hardware thing. Powering down unRAID from the web page "should" allow wake on lan as long as it is enabled in the bios. What program are you using for WOL support?

Something else to consider is how much Standby current your power supply supports.

I believe the min is 2000ma, 500ma for each USB port you have enabled. plus something for your Lan card.

I'm assuming you are using USB for the keyboard.

If so you must have a jumper set on the USB ports (usually the ones for the motherboard) set to enable standby voltage/current.

I would disable this jumper fo rall other USB ports. That would take up about 1000ma leaving some for other devices such as lan card.

I know there are a bunch of power settings have need to be tweaked for it.

One is specific for the lan card. (sometimes jumbled in with modem and ring).

Is your NIC built in? If so it should support WOL.

If not, then there is a 3 wire jumper from card to motherboard that is required.

See also

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008459.htm

http://xlife.zuavra.net/index.php/60/

http://www.hackernotcracker.com/2006-04/wol-wake-on-lan-tutorial-with-bonus-php-script.html

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/oputils/help/network/wake_on_lan_tool.html

Thanks for the reponse, but most of it I know except the voltage part. It is a built in NIC I have it enabled in my BIOS for wake on lan although the modem/ring is not enabled. I used Magic Packet at first then I tried WakeOnLan and that's a little better as it gives confimation of a sent packet and network status. WHen I open it with the unraid IP it says host server unavailable so something's not getting there.

I've never had any luck with WOL and the server is just above me where I already have wires in the wall so I'm just going to run a new cable and switch to replace the switch on the case so I can power it from my office.

Thanks for the reponse, but most of it I know except the voltage part. It is a built in NIC I have it enabled in my BIOS for wake on lan although the modem/ring is not enabled. I used Magic Packet at first then I tried WakeOnLan and that's a little better as it gives confimation of a sent packet and network status. WHen I open it with the unraid IP it says host server unavailable so something's not getting there.

I've never had any luck with WOL and the server is just above me where I already have wires in the wall so I'm just going to run a new cable and switch to replace the switch on the case so I can power it from my office.

Wake on LAN, in my own experience, does not use an IP address.  It uses the MAC address of the network card to send its magic packet.

Perhaps you are invoking the program with the wrong parameters?

Joe L.

• 3 years later...