unRAID Server release 4.3.1 available

Download.

Patch release 4.3.1 is available.  This fixes yet another bug with "clearing new disks".

unRAID Server 4.3.1 Release Notes
=================================

IMPORTANT: this release includes a critical bug fix.  If you are running 4.3-beta4 or higher, and have added a New disk to an existing array, parity may be incorrect, and you must run a Parity-Check operation.  Note: If Parity-Check detects any parity mismatches, they will be corrected.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Changes from 4.3 to 4.3.1
-------------------------

Big fix: fix yet another "clear new disks" bug.

Changes from 4.3-beta6 to 4.3 (final)
-------------------------------------

Bug fix: correct bug introduced in 4.3-beta4 which could cause New disks added to an existing array to not be cleared(!).

Improvement: added NTP (Network Time Protocol) package.

Improvement: fixed possible shutdown/reboot if user refreshes browser after previous shutdown/reboot.

Improvement: subtle change in 'split-level' value 0.  A value of 0 is now interpreted as "split permissable at all levels".

Bug fix: fix problem if user shares enabled before first disk is formatted, user shares would not show up unless stop/start array executed.

Bug fix: fix problem where new disks added to an existing array were not sent proper spin-down time delay.

Bug fix: retored missing 'ethtool', 'dosfsck', and 'compress/uncompress' commands.

Bug fix: fix problem with ftp being unable to 'cd' into directories.

Bug fix: fix problem where mover 'mv' error messages were not getting into syslog.

Improvement: added the 'dumb' terminal terminfo file.

Changes from 4.3-beta5 to 4.3-beta6
-----------------------------------

Improvement: update to latest Intel network driver (7.6.15.4).

Bug Fix: Correct problem enabling SMART before reading disk temperatures.

Bug Fix: Fix crash that may occur if there is a large number of user shares.

Changes from 4.3-beta4 to 4.3-beta5

Bug Fix: Fix 'hang' that may occur starting syslogd.

Improvement: Add 'sync' as last step in 'mover' script

Changes from 4.3-beta3 to 4.3-beta4

New feature: cache disk support.

Improvement: enable SMART before reading disk temperature.

Improvement: upgrade from linux kernel 2.6.24.3 to 2.6.24.4 (refer to http://lwn.net/Articles/274741).

Improvement: upgrade from Samba 3.0.28 to Samba 3.0.28a (addresses some Vista issues, refer to http://us1.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.28a.html).

Improvement: added back a few more missing libraries needed for certain user customizations.

Bug Fix: Support normal expansion of array when Parity is not installed.

Changes from 4.3-beta2 to 4.3-beta3

Bug fix: Turn off user share filesystem debugging output accidentally left on - doh!

Changes from 4.3-beta1 to 4.3-beta2

Bug fix: Restore missing 'installpkg' script.

Bug fix: Fixed possible user share crash if top-level disk directories contain ordinary files.

Bug fix: Fixed warning message generated by 'find' when searching user shares.

Bug fix: Fixed problem reporting correct hostname to DHCP server.

Changes from 4.2.3 to 4.3-beta1
-------------------------------

Improvement: With user shares enabled, directories/files created directly in a disk share will show up immediately in the correct user share.

Improvement: Included 'vsftpd' server.

Improvement: Upgrade to linux kernel 2.6.24.3.

Improvement: Enable kernel support of up to 4GB of memory.

Tom can i suggest that it is time to start linking to the wiki release page and making a summary annoucement here.

I think it is alot neater since most of these announcement posts are repeated info.

Just a thought :)

p.s. oh and kudos on getting the fix out so quick

Tom can i suggest that it is time to start linking to the wiki release page and making a summary annoucement here.

I think it is alot neater since most of these announcement posts are repeated info.

Just a thought :)

p.s. oh and kudos on getting the fix out so quick

Good idea.  We'll be spending much more time on the documentation and website starting tomorrow.

And to all you fathers: Happy Father's Day!

okay, so that begs the question .... who's the most "experienced" father around here ???  My oldest is 37... :'(

;D

Well, I've been father to a lot of kids because my wife and i are foster carers, but i doubt any of them are a sold as 37 (they would only be a year younger than me). Father's day was a lot of fun - and very hectic.  :)

Looks like the chown command is not properly implemented in the user file system.

My testing shows that this issue still haunts us.  This was originally discussed in the 4.3-beta6 thread.

Fixed in 4.3.2.

Thank you... thank you... thank you..

The ownership issue is killing me with rsync, I had to resort to using the regular disk shares.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the chown command is not properly implemented in the user file system.

My testing shows that this issue still haunts us.  This was originally discussed in the 4.3-beta6 thread.

Fixed in 4.3.2.

YEP!!  Appears to be fixed in 4.3.2.  Thank You!!