Need feedback on Complete build - Norco RPC-4224

dexn

I am just wanting some feedback on the system I intend to build. For eg, anything that may not work or bug out from time to time...

UnRAID - 5.0rc5

Case - Norco RPC-4224

PSU - Corsair 800W GS Series GS800 (single 12V rail)

Mobo - Intel S1200BTS

CPU - Intel Core i3 2130 3.40Ghz

RAM - 8GB

SAS Cards - IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-8i in IT Mode (to control 2 backplanes where the parity and cache drives will be to gain as much speed as possible)

2nd IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-8i in IT Mode, dual linked to a Intel RES2SV240  (dual link is to help with speed and will be used to control the remaining 4 backplanes)

HDD - Various 3TB

I will be using the 3 extra HDD's outside the of array...

I do not remember if that board supports I3 CPU or not. it is a c202 so i think it does.

If you do not have that board yet, I would look at a supermicro X9 series with IPMI support (-F boards). the cost is close enough to be worth the upgrade. (also know to work with I3 CPUs for sure)

The Intel 82578DM NIC on that board might not work with unRAID (i do not know if the generic E1000 supports the Intel 82578DM). However, the other NIC will work fine.

keep in mind you will need ECC unbuffered UDIMM's for RAM for any of the C202 or C204 boards.

That PSU will probably not work with that board. the C-Series serverboards need SSI standard power. (this is the same for Intel, supermicro, tyan etc C-boards)

You need to get a pro series PSU not a Gaming series PSU from Corsair. you need the EPS12V to power the CPU.

a TX or HX "should" work. but there are some reports that some TX's dont. The TX750M is an example of one that does NOT Work. i would double check before you buy the PSU. The Seasonic X series is one of the preferred PSU with the sandy-bridge servers and know to work.

For the SAS cards.. honestly, you could run all 24 bays with a single M1015 if you want. run 4 off a single channel and then the other 20 off the expander. otherwise, your plan for dual cards will also work..

in case you missed it; the latest RC6test has 24 drive support to fill the entire server..  (but RC6test DOES NOT work with LSI based cards just yet)

The Intel S1200BTS mainboard has One Gigabit Ethernet device 82574L connect to PCI-E x1 interfaces on the PCH and One Gigabit Ethernet PHY 82579 connected to PCH through PCI-E x1 interface, which both seem to be supported. Also this board has support for one Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 Series or Intel® Core™ Processor i3-2100 Series in FC-LGA 1155 socket package.

I have looked into the power supplies and followed your suggestion. I will be choosing a Seasonic X-850 to power this beauty. This will give about 100W extra power than needed on start-up according to my calculations when using 22 green drives and 2 black drives.

The only reason I considered the second M1015 is purely for performance.

PS - can't wait for them to fix the LSI card issue with RC6beta

So far this is what I am looking at...

UnRAID - 5.0rc5

Case - Norco RPC-4224

PSU - Seasonic X-850

Mobo - Intel S1200BTS (considering Supermicro X9SCM-F with more info)

CPU - Intel Core i3 2130 3.40Ghz

RAM - 8GB

SAS Cards - IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-8i in IT Mode (to control 2 backplanes where the parity and cache drives will be to gain as much speed as possible)

2nd IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-8i in IT Mode, dual linked to a Intel RES2SV240  (dual link is to help with speed and will be used to control the remaining 4 backplanes)

HDD - Various 3TB

Sounds good.

I understand your speed desire. I dont think there would be much impact with a single m1015. That is how I am running mine now.

16 drives on a single channel and 4 on the other channel. I have not yet seen a noticeable speed impact during parity checks.

If you are going to run 2x m1015, you might as well skip the expander all together and pick up a 3rd m1015. that will save you big chunk of change. I have also run that configuration as are many others.

The expander is neat and good idea to a point. that comes to performance vs cost vs number of PCIe slots.

anyway you build it. sounds like you have a good idea of what you are building.

Archived