1st time setup problem

I'm trying to setup my unRAID server for the 1st time however I'm running into some problems.  I'm trying to setup the server without being connected to the internet.  I'm able to boot from my flash drive and control the server from a connected screen and keyboard, however I'm trying to access my server from another computer that is connected to the unRAID system (IPMI port) from a CAT5 cable.  So the cable goes from my server to a laptop I have and neither are connected to the internet.  Is this even possible?  I have a supermicro X9SCM-F mobo.  When I type in 'ifconfig eht0' into 'root@Tower:~#' it returns:

Link encap: Ethernet    HWaddr

and a bunch of other stuff

And when I type //tower into my laptop it just returns a could not connect page.

Your dedicated IPMI port is not going to be able to access unRAID. You need to use the LAN1 port, which can also use IPMI. In some cases unRAID will force itself to use LAN2 on those boards and if this happens you have to change a jumper on the board if you want to use LAN1/IPMI.

So here's the steps I had to take this this board:

1) Connect ethernet to LAN1

2) Restart unRAID

3) Try to connect

3a) You can connect. Your done.

3b) Still can't connect.

4) Connect ethernet to LAN2

5) Restart unRAID

6) Try to connect

7) If you can connect now, you need to switch the jumper on your board to disable LAN2 so you can use LAN1 (There are 3 jumpers right under LAN2 port, it's the middle one you want to switch).

You have to restart unRAID when you swap ethernet ports, i've found no way around this. unRAID will only use the first LAN it detects.

Archived