Novice new build advice

silent

hi all

i have been steered towards unraid setup and find the benefits to be good.  my server will be this and i will use unraid 5.XX newest.

is that visable.

i'm a complete novice but i have this lot so far:

Fractal design R3 case

coolermaster silent pro 500wt modular psu

Asus m45tl-m motherboard AM3+

sempron 145 processor

4 gig of ddr3 1333 mhz ram

dvd-rw

1.5 TB HDD

3 x 1 tb HDD

i understand that the biggest will be a cache drive which may change to a 2tb i have in a nas drive now but i need to transfer the data unless it keeps it on the drive and doesn't delete it if i add to the array?

i can also add an SSD if this adds any benefits to the cache side of things.

i also don't want to be on 24 seven.  can you access the server frontend - unraid - from another PC and control it?

is there add on's that will benefit me.

sorry for all the questions, i'm a complete novice and have learnt that the people on here are top.

I would save money on the case if your not getting a deal. Also change the power supply to anything but cooler master. I had a power supply that burned up which was ultimately a defective unit. I will never buy anything cooler master again. Their service was absolutely the worst.

i have brought all the stuff, i've never had issue with coolermaster psu's, these are newest gen.

i have downloaded newest beta unraid, should i use a different one.

if i add drives to the array in the future, does it format the drives?

i have brought all the stuff, i've never had issue with coolermaster psu's, these are newest gen.

It will format the drive when you added to your array.  However, pretty much everyone who uses UnRaid will advised you to pre-clear the drive first.  That's what I did with all my drives.  I'm using the latest beta unraid right now without any issues.  However, I don't have much addons to it.  I've got monthly parity check on, and that's about it.  I mainly use my server for storage and streaming purposes.

It will format the drive when you added to your array.  However, pretty much everyone who uses UnRaid will advised you to pre-clear the drive first.  That's what I did with all my drives.  I'm using the latest beta unraid right now without any issues.  However, I don't have much addons to it.  I've got monthly parity check on, and that's about it.  I mainly use my server for storage and streaming purposes.

thanks, i will need to back mine up first then onto my other spare NAS drive or ext hdd.  then format them all before adding.  most are clear, just a new one coming and my other 2 tb.  will adding an SSD cache speed things up?

Archived