Download repository advice

limetech

Dear Community,

We have the next release, 4.3.2, ready to upload; however there's a bit of a problem.  We are already close to our allotment of 40GB/month bandwidth, and if we post 4.3.2, this will put us over the top and result in the entire website, forums, and wiki getting "bandwidth exceeded" page  >:(

Obviously we need to move to a dedicated server or something, but in the meantime... does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere we can host our download page?

Cheers,

Tom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Community,

We have the next release, 4.3.2, ready to upload; however there's a bit of a problem.  We are already close to our allotment of 40GB/month bandwidth, and if we post 4.3.2, this will put us over the top and result in the entire website, forums, and wiki getting "bandwidth exceeded" page  >:(

Obviously we need to move to a dedicated server or something, but in the meantime... does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere we can host our download page?

Cheers,

Tom

Something like this might work for short term:

http://www.mediafire.com/index.php  Up to 100Meg per file, no registration, no fees (yes... free)

Something like the "4th of July special" (valid for 9 days more) at this web-host might do for long term. 

Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space, if you prepay for 5 years, $5 per month.

www.site5.com & http://www.site5.com/hosting/

(I have one website on their original $5 plan http://www.site5.com/hosting/legacy.php

I'm limited to 5000GB per month, and 55000GB of storage )

Hey Tom,

If you make enough money, I'd definitely opt for a dedicated server.

If you want to go the cheaper route you can host the files off-site at something like megaupload.com. Just link to them from your download page.

If you go the cheaper route it won't look that great for Lime-Tech's image. Since this is generally a pay product you should be hosting the download from your own site and not force paying users to jump through hoops for downloading.

Torrents are generally a bad idea... not everyone uses torrents and most people don't even know what a torrent is.

Perhaps you could have the download page list the current unRAID release for anyone to download. Then you can host the beta off-site or on a torrent for the more "hardcore" unRAID users to play around with.

If your hosting company cuts of your website once you exceed your monthly transfer limit I'd dump them right away. Any decent hosting company should give you the option of paying for data over your limit (like $5 for every 5GB you go over your monthly limit). But like I said... if it's within budget get a dedicated server.

Torrents are generally a bad idea... not everyone uses torrents and most people don't even know what a torrent is.

Torrents are very commonly used to distribute linux distributions. Not exactly far removed from this situation.

It's also common to see download pages link to several off-site mirrors, as well as perhaps a torrent.

How much bandwidth do you think you'd be expecting? I can mirror for a while if need be.

Hey Tom....

Agreed.. As a pay product it should support itself.

my though was you're trying to save the burden for this month which is so near to an end.

Still.... having a torrent and a tracker for us hard cores would be helpful.

We could host the betas, addon packages, scripts via torrent. and the sanctioned packages and final release on limetech itself.

I can seed indefinitely too.

(erm... I mean a torrent)

I'd give you space in an owned server too, but things have changed quite a bit the last year (off topic - won't go into it).

I am not sure I'd follow the advice of the guys and host Lime-Technology in an "in house" server though. Mostly because it needs involvement you cannot give right now (and in fact because we need your involvement to be purely on updating/evolving unRAID - until you hire some nice co-devs).

With another hat on I run an open source project that has large bandwidth needs. For years I went the ftp and http mirror route. It was a pain. Mirrors constantly died without warning and that meant manual work to change the list. Then there was the problem with making sure they were all in sync via email debates with the hosts.

Then on day i said frak it im using torrent. Never looked back. Now i make a torrent. Upload the torrent to the tracker. Seed it a few times and linux users being nice guys seed it for me.

I would recommend getting an account at one of the linux trackers for 3 reasons:

1. You will get access to stats (public trackers tend to throw away stats for privacy reasons).

2. Most linux trackers have auto-seeds to help you.

3. You are still in control of the distribution. If a version has a bad bug you can immediately take it offline.

Getting people to host your files is also an option but its alot more man hour intensive and not really a slick long term solution. Using torrent distribution is a both a quick fix and long term solution at the same time.

Also based on the reposnses it looks like lots of well known members here are happy to use torrent meaning seeds will come on quick and stay on.

Use torrent you wont look back trust me.

...then maybe he'll add torrent client on unRAID :D

It would be a perfect time for someone who has already put a simple command-line torrent client on the unRAID system (they know who they are) to bundle up an add-on-package available for existing users getting ready to upgrade.  It would add value and also reduce subsequent bandwidth requirements on Tom's server.

Joe L.

I would recommend getting an account at one of the linux trackers for 3 reasons:

Which one?

I can provide a ctorrent package which is a simple command line torrent client.

I've compiled it statically so it "could" be included in unRAID if desired.

What I would really love to see is an upgrade button on the emhttp front end.

Both ReadyNAS and Thecus have this. Press a button, it checks for updates, downloads and installs if you choose.

But that's another topic....  ;D

One serious consideration of using torrent for distribution should be addressing.

It is a relatively easy task to harvest IP addresses of the swarm. Should unRAID have publicly addressable ports through a addon or a users disregarding the policy of using unRAID internally and a vulnerabilty is found you have an instant attack list.

Theres alot of ifs there but it something to keep in mind.

ya know.. maybe some of the bandwidth is chewed up by freaking bots.

I use the Who is online function allot.

I always notice there are tons of Guest's viewing user profiles or "printing" the text of messages.

(I see allot of printing messges too, but this is what I captured moments ago).

Guest  11:11:10 AM  Viewing bjp999's profile.

Guest 11:10:56 AM Viewing KeithUR's profile.

Guest 11:04:50 AM Viewing erikatcuse's profile.

Guest 11:01:52 AM Viewing dstroot's profile.

Guest 11:00:06 AM Viewing dstroot's profile.

I know a ton of bots hit my blog constantly driving my bandwidth usage way up when I don't even post new topics.

Maybe there's something that could be put in or disabled that hides some of these features if you are not a registered user.

Tom, I have my own server room with unlimited bandwidth  (OK, not unlimited, as it can max out on bps, but no cap, so effectively several TB a month)

I can host it for you.

Torrents are a little seedy, this sounds like a MUCH better option.

Torrents are a little seedy, this sounds like a MUCH better option.

Seedy? Please explain...

For the record, with the right software on unRAID, it could be done pretty easily with curl/wget and ctorrent.

The other thing is it lets some of the developers publish tools/enhancements without the burden of hosting.

I would have to agree that hosting commercial software on the web serer is appropriate. (and preferable)

But I also don't oppose taking some of the burden off the webserver by using a torrent mechanism as long as it's easy for the user.

My company is exploring this for our own internal network and software/data files we have to distribute among machines.