unRAID Server release 4.3.2 available

Download.

Another set of bug fixes, as well as a few minor improvements, most notable of which is a new control on the Settings page which enables you to define up to 3 DNS servers, the IP addresses of which will be put into the

/etc/resolv.conf

file when DHCP is not being used (i.e., when you are using a static IP for your server).

unRAID Server 4.3.2 Release Notes
=================================

Changes from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2
---------------------------

Bug fix: if 16 or more disks connected, depending on the disks, system could improperly identify one or more disks.

Bug fix: transmit correct hostname to dhcp server.

Bug fix: fix problem in user share file system with 'chown' command.

Improvement: provided abilty to manually define up to 3 DNS Servers when DHCP is not being used.

Improvement: prevent mover from moving files in use.

Improvement: added parallel port support.

Improvement: added SiS 900 ethernet driver.  Also supports SiS 7016 and SiS 540/630 chipsets.

Changes from 4.3 to 4.3.1
-------------------------

Bug fix: fix yet another "clear new disks" bug.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Installed and working well.

• Tiny increase in memory requirement (40 - 48K less available, initially), probably for new drivers included
  • lp driver installed - parallel port support?
  • hiddev added (usbhid already was available), for UPS support?
  • In LimeTech Downloads folder is latest version of syslinux.exe, in syslinux 3.63.zip

In order to try out the new version of unRAID, and revert back if needed, try this alternative upgrade method, using Joe's alteration of syslinux.cfg:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel bzimage
  append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10
label unRAID 4.3.1
  kernel bzimage.431
  append initrd=bzroot.431 rootdelay=10
label Memtest86+
  kernel memtest

• Rename bzroot to bzroot.431
  • Rename bzimage to bzimage.431
  • Extract bzroot and bzimage from unRAID Server 4.3.2.zip to flash drive
  • Edit syslinux.cfg on flash to use 4.3.1 part above (3 lines), or copy the whole and paste into new copy of syslinux.cfg
  • Stop array and reboot
  • At unRAID boot menu, use Down arrow to select desired version of unRAID or Memtest, or allow it to default to latest version

It's always recommended to backup your flash drive regularly, and before major changes such as an upgrade.

Edited:  changed bzroot431 to bzroot.431, and bzimage431 to bzimage.431, because syslinux requires file names that obey DOS 8.3 naming rules.  (Thanks Joe!)

Hmmm... It changed my WD drives Model/Serial Number displays. This is safe to start back up right? I can just record the new disk positions?

Yes.  It appears as if the prior versions of unRAID allocated less space to store the model numbers of the disk drives.  The newer version stores the entire length of the model numbers.  Full length <> truncated length, so mismatches occur.  So far, it seems only Western Digital drives have these longer model numbers.

So, before pressing "Start" to record the newer longer model numbers, MAKE SURE THE DRIVES ARE ALL IN THE SAME POSITIONS AS PREVIOUS.  Most CRITICAL is the PARITY DRIVE.  If you have everything in the same slots as before, check the checkbox below "Start" and click on the "Start" button.

Joe L.

Umm?  Do you mean click the box under the "Restore" button and click "Restore"???  I don't see a box under the "Start" button and the "Start" button isn't lighting up.  My unraid box consists of 4 WD drives and the model numbers do appear to be longer after upgradeing.

Umm?  Do you mean click the box under the "Restore" button and click "Restore"???  I don't see a box under the "Start" button and the "Start" button isn't lighting up.  My unraid box consists of 4 WD drives and the model numbers do appear to be longer after upgradeing.

You are correct... If you had a parity drive with a shorter model name (< 20 characters) your parity drive would still be valid and unRAID would give you the checkbox under the start button.

You have a WD parity drive (Where was I when the sale was on?) in any case, your only choice is the "restore" button, or revert to the older release of unRAID and wait for Tom to work out a fix.  Before you press the "restore" button, make certain the parity drive's serial numbers match. (old and new)

Pressing restore will immediately start the process of calculating parity on your entire set of assigned disks.  You will not be protected from a subsequent failure until it completes, so do not stop it.

Edit: Tom described a series of steps that will not invalidate your parity while it is being re-verified.  It is described here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2191.msg16518#msg16518 

Before doing the upgrade to 4.3.2, make note of the disk models/serial numbers assigned to the slots in your array.  It will be very important to ensure they are assigned the same slots after the upgrade.  It is also a really good idea to do a full parity check BEFORE doing the upgrade.  It will give you a chance to detect any marginal disk errors before the disks become involved in the upgrade process.

Joe L.

I still recommend booting with the old version of unRAID and running a parity check BEFORE doing this procedure of hitting the restore button under 4.3.2.  This will make sure that your disks are healthy before a new parity build. 

Although the chances of a problem without doing the parity check first are low, the chances of a problem after running a parity check first are REALLY low. 

Your call ...

For new users and existing users upgrading from older (than any 4.3) versions, it seems to do a better job of preparing a bootable flash that works with the Linux kernel in the 4.3 versions.  I don't know of any advantage for anyone already booting any 4.3 version.

I've been tempted to try it on my flash, to see if it would allow me to boot without the noapic boot option that I have to use now.

For new users and existing users upgrading from older (than any 4.3) versions, it seems to do a better job of preparing a bootable flash that works with the Linux kernel in the 4.3 versions.  I don't know of any advantage for anyone already booting any 4.3 version.

I've been tempted to try it on my flash, to see if it would allow me to boot without the noapic boot option that I have to use now.

Thanks,

Funny how many of us with currently working systems get curious about these things! ;D

Mark.