will sy-via-150r be compatible with unraid 4.3

Not sure, but following the manufactures page I found this in case someone else knows

Features

* Chipset: VIA VT6421L

* Only SATA supports RAID

* 2/1/0, and PIO mode 4/3/2/1/0

* Supports PCI Plug and Play.

* PCI interrupt sharing and coexists with main b

After doing some reading, I think there's a chance that both the IDE and SATA ports will work, but it's only $12, so you don't have much to lose if neither works.

Personally, I really prefer this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124027.  It's much faster, fully supported, does not use the PCI bus, provides 2 SATA II ports through the SiI3132 chipset, which supports Port Multipliers, great for the future.  It does require a PCI Express X1 slot (any PCIe slot), and usually has to be re-flashed with a non-RAID firmware though.  It's only $8 more.

thx for the reply guys,

the problem is that my mobo only has pci :(

so will try to give it a shot or end up with this one PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card as I have seen it in a few system,

by the way its there a page with a list of known working cards with unraid, thx again guys,

goog night,

sam

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am currently using a PCI SATA card based on the same chipset with 3 750Gb Seagate drives.

http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=be29

The drives are detected properly and seems to work fine but I am only getting write speeds of 30-35 mb/s even when only 1 drive is connected. I suspect it could be due to this particular line below from the syslog.

[sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

Anyone has a similar problem? More details can be found in this post here. Appreciate any help.

On an unrelated note, one of the hdds makes a squeaking or creaking sound when starting up. No more weird sounds after that. I am told that this is normal for Seagate hdds when it is being detected by the bios and nothing to worry about. Still a bit worried as the other 2 do not make the same sound starting up. Should I be concerned?

Update

[sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

Regarding the above, have enabled the write cache using "hdparm -W 1 /dev/sda" and able to get write speeds of 70-80 mb/s when preclearing. One 750Gb drive now preclears in 10 hours (the norm based on Joe's results) compared to 13 previously. However, I need to re-enable the write cache everytime I do a complete shutdown and bootup of the server. Would it be alright for me to add this line into the go script to be run each time at boot?

As for the squeaky hdd, have replaced it with a new one which doesn't squeaks. No point taking any chances.