New unRAID user's questions about: plugins, SSH, rsync, filesystems, USB3 & more

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I installed unRAID 5.0-rc5 (basic). My test so far went very well. I'm thinking to make unRAID my primary media storage. But before that I have to come up with good backup method. I spend quite a bit time browsing through the forum and wiki an here is my plan:

1. Install SSH. I found two posts explaining how to do it. The first post is linked directly from the wiki page [1], but it appears to applicable only for 4.x version. Looks like 5.0 will use OpenSSH plugin [2]. So, what method I should use?

2. rsync: Looks like rsync is per-installed on unRAID, but is there some kind of GUI/Pluging that will help monitoring the process.

3. As first level of backup I am planning to use number of external HDDs. I would like to create script that will recognize when the HDD is plugged in and also will identify witch disk is plugged in and start correct rsync session to backup correct data set. My questions are:

3.1 Is unRAID going to work with USB3.0 external HDD?

3.2 Currently my backup HDDs are formatted with NTFS (I am backing up Windows PCs as well). Is NTFS supported by unRAID?

3.3 If I end up reformatting my backup HDDs what FS would be recommended by experienced unRAID users? (EXT3?)

4. Is there any work going on about plugin that will simplify backup management to local HDD (detection, auto-backup, notifications, ejecting the HDD and etc)?

Best regards,

SAL-e

[1] http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3159

[2] http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20848.0

1. Install SSH. I found two posts explaining how to do it. The first post is linked directly from the wiki page [1], but it appears to applicable only for 4.x version. Looks like 5.0 will use OpenSSH plugin [2]. So, what method I should use?

Use the plug-in if it works. The unmenu packages have been lees trouble though.

2. rsync: Looks like rsync is per-installed on unRAID, but is there some kind of GUI/Pluging that will help monitoring the process.

Set up the rsync server: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13432.msg127686#msg127686

There are rsync messages in the syslog.

3. As first level of backup I am planning to use number of external HDDs. I would like to create script that will recognize when the HDD is plugged in and also will identify witch disk is plugged in and start correct rsync session to backup correct data set. My questions are:

Why not backup directly to the server?

3.1 Is unRAID going to work with USB3.0 external HDD?

Yes.

3.2 Currently my backup HDDs are formatted with NTFS (I am backing up Windows PCs as well). Is NTFS supported by unRAID?

Yes. As a non-array disk.

3.3 If I end up reformatting my backup HDDs what FS would be recommended by experienced unRAID users? (EXT3?)

unRAID will format the disks if they're added to the array. It uses reiserfs and is very particular. There is no point in trying to do it yourself.

4. Is there any work going on about plugin that will simplify backup management to local HDD (detection, auto-backup, notifications, ejecting the HDD and etc)?

Search for SNAP in user customizations.

RE #2: I don't think I need rsync server for now. Because unRAID supports USB3 and NTFS for non-array disks, I am going to connect the backup disk directly to unRAID server and run rsync from disk-array to external disk. But thank you for the info, it will come useful later when I start backing up other devices to my unRAID server.

RE #3:

Why not backup directly to the server?

I need off-site backup in case of fire, flood or other disaster. At this point it is unpractical for me to have second unRAID server. The main problem is secure location with adequate network connection. Next summer, I hope, I will solve this problem. For now I'll keep the backup drives off-site and rotate them on weekly basis.

RE #3.3:

I was asking about external backup USB disks connected directly to unRAID server. Those disks will not participate in array. Sorry for confusion. I should have been more clear.

RE #4:

Search for SNAP in user customizations.

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed.