WD20EARX to WDIdle3 or not?

Hi guys...

About to buy a couple of this drives and been searching but I see no clear answer.

I know I did the WDIdle3 on my Ears and Eads and disabled the head parking.

Now do I need to do this on the WD20EARX? Some people say yes some say no...

I appreciate it.  ;D

Cheers...

I would also like to know about this....  Just bought two WD 3TB Greens...  I'm thinking, since unRAID allows you to manage when your drives automatically spin up/down... the intellipark feature on these drives is not needed.  I would like opinions from other unRAID users tho'...

Thanks Beer for the post on this!

I've disabled the timer completely on all of my WD Green drives (11 WD20EARS, 1 WD20EARX).  I did it after I was seeing load_cycle_counts climb into the tens of thousands  (31,000 is the highest).  On the WD20EARX, which was an RMA replacement, I didn't wait and set it before adding it to the array.

One of the WD20EARS was RMA'd and there was no issue with the RMA being approved.

Also, I didn't see any change in performance or power usage either way.

There are lots of threads discussing the pros and cons.  You can just leave it as is and monitor the load_cycle_count or preemptively set it.

• 1 month later...

I have just gotten 2 more WD20EARX,so i now have 6 total,i have disabled idle timer completely on ALL my WD greens which is 20 drives ranging from 10EADS,20EADS,20EARS,20EACS and 20EARX i just wdidled the 2 new EARX as they were also set to a timer of 8 seconds.

However, i got an e-mail from WD´s engineers stating that the EARS is the LAST drive series to have the LCC problem,i just turned off idle for piece of mind,and i would much rather control power saving using software

• 4 weeks later...

I added a WD20EARX to my server which has multiple WD20EARS, couldn't remember whether to run Wdidle3, so tried.

Wdidle3 readily set or changed spin-down intervals on the EARS, but refused to set or change it for EARX.

The EARX has been up for a few days and doesn't have the runaway diskpark issue, so far at least.

We may be able to forget about the need for Wdidle3 on the WD20EARX  :D

• 3 months later...

I added a WD20EARX to my server which has multiple WD20EARS, couldn't remember whether to run Wdidle3, so tried.

Wdidle3 readily set or changed spin-down intervals on the EARS, but refused to set or change it for EARX.

The EARX has been up for a few days and doesn't have the runaway diskpark issue, so far at least.

We may be able to forget about the need for Wdidle3 on the WD20EARX  :D

Sorry to awake the old thread, but how are your stats looking now, a few months into this ?I just got two 2TB drives for my test array. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 WD20EARX drives and they are constantly spinning down. Changing the Windows setting power options has no effect. But you say wdidle3 won't permit changes to your EARX drive? Hmmmm.

My WD30EZRX drives don't have this issue, nor do my WD20EARS drives. Only the WD20EARX ones. I'm tempted to either switch brands or pay the extra money and replace them with WD30EZRX drives.

Decisions, decisions. The life of a computer geek.