Seagate unveils world's first 1.5TB desktop drive

Equilibrium

I wonder when these be available at a good price point?  ($250 would be about 0.17 per gig)  Will likely take til xmas I expect.

This will probably push 1T drive prices a bit lower.  I'd love to see them drop to $100 each on sale from time to time!

Will be interesting to see how long it takes WD to follow suit.  They seem to be lagging behind, opting for lower RPM drives, and odd sizes (e.g., 640G).

I read somewhere that 4T drives would be out by 2009 (from Hitachi if I remember right)!  Guess we'll have to see.  Nice to see some healthy competition among the vendors.

I wonder when these be available at a good price point?  ($250 would be about 0.17 per gig)  Will likely take til xmas I expect.

This will probably push 1T drive prices a bit lower.  I'd love to see them drop to $100 each on sale from time to time!

Will be interesting to see how long it takes WD to follow suit.  They seem to be lagging behind, opting for lower RPM drives, and odd sizes (e.g., 640G).

I read somewhere that 4T drives would be out by 2009 (from Hitachi if I remember right)!  Guess we'll have to see.  Nice to see some healthy competition among the vendors.

I agree that if the 1TB can drop a little, might be time to start replacing some of the older 300/400GB's in the unRAID now... And I'm guessing that we will see a 2 TB announcement before the end of the Year... the Technology is more or less the same at the 1tb and 1.5tb... I think Seagate is still trying to find the right "market" since other than a few of us tweakers and some gamers and stuff, the "masses" are still buying smaller drives... OEM's are still buying 200-300 GB for a majority of the systems they are selling, at least to business customers.

Granted once I get more involved with Bluray I'm sure I'll need the space  8) 

Ehe, yup, there goes my delema.  ;D

I am averaging around 33 movies per WD TB drive. This is a mixture between HD and Bluray disc. So far I have ~3.3 TB full from my 4 TB data drives.  ???  I have a new drive waiting to be installed shortly, hopefully prices will drop a bit more before my next purchase, currently Newegg has the WD's for 179.99 with free shipping...

I am averaging around 33 movies per WD TB drive. This is a mixture between HD and Bluray disc.

A little off topic but do you keep the entire disk or just the movie?  If just the movie what process do you use?

Thanks

Erik

I am getting the entire disk. From what I have seen, the process for getting just the movie involves many steps that I feel is not worth my time...

Time involved to get just the feature isn't too bad, much of the processing is done by the computer so you can be off doing other things. My HD movies average under 14Gig each when compressed with H.264 so that's saying something. I'd also point out that in order to play complete movies you have to do all sorts of crap to play them back - starting with running Windows. The software manufacturers are trying hard to keep people from playing images form disk and they keep tweaking the DRM crap too.

I've written up how to rip the movies and compress them elsewhere, it's not that bad IMO.

In my blu-ray collection I just keep the main movie and nothing else (no trailers or special features). It averages around 20-25GBytes per movie. I'm not recompressing them at all though, keeping the 1080P and 7.1 uncompressed audio. Its really not much harder than ripping dvds and isn't very cpu-intensive because I'm not reencoding anything. There are a few guides on slysoft's anydvd hd forum on how to do it if your interested.

• 1 month later...

I am averaging around 33 movies per WD TB drive. This is a mixture between HD and Bluray disc.

A little off topic but do you keep the entire disk or just the movie?  If just the movie what process do you use?

Thanks

Erik

An easy way to get "just the movie" is to back up the Disc.  Then go to the

"movie name" => BDMV => Stream folder

Once there, look for the largest .m2ts folder its generally the movie.

Then use media player classic to check if it is the movie stream.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=4251&s=134

Also, I think you will need MatroskaSplitter installed, but you don't use it for anything.

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe

• 2 weeks later...

eac3to will tell you which is the main movie. It will also extract the movie, the soundtrack, the subtitles, and the chapters. At that point you can mux them all together with mkvmerge or compress the movie and then mux together. Actually, not sure how you handle subtitles other than forced ones but others on the Doom9 forums could tell you. I find that compressing saves a great deal of space...