unRAID Server release 4.3.3 available

Download.

The main purpose of this release is to address a problem related to hard drive model numbers.  Starting with release 4.3.2 we used a different method of obtaining hard drive model strings (for identification purposes).  This was necessary as part of another bug fix.

The result of this change was that if a hard drive model string is greater than 16 characters, there was a possibility of the system reporting it as "wrong or missing" when attempting to upgrade from a previous unRAID release.  To our knowledge only certain Western Digital model strings are longer than 16 characters and exhibit this problem.  Also this problem does not happen for "new" unRAID configurations - it can just happen as a result of upgrading from a previous release.

There is a workaround for this problem, but we decided that the best solution is to just fix it and produce a new release.  If you have applied the workaround, then this release will still work for you.

The second issue addressed by this release has to do with spinning up disks.  You would think this should be a fairly straightforward operation, but the algorithms we've used in the past have all proved to be unreliable with various hard drive models.  With this release we implemented yet another attempt at making this reliable.

Normally we would not release non-beta code with these kinds of problems, but they are both related to quirks of hard drives which did not show up in our testing because we don't have those hard drives.  We are thus indebted to the great community of users here who have shown great patience in working with us to solve these problems - thank you!

unRAID Server 4.3.3 Release Notes
=================================

Changes from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3
---------------------------

Bug fix: fixed problem where certain hard drives would be incorrectly seen as "missing".

Improvement: changed hard drive spin-up algorithm in effort to make it more reliable.

Changes from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2
---------------------------

Bug fix: if 16 or more disks connected, depending on the disks, system could improperly identify one or more disks.

Bug fix: transmit correct hostname to dhcp server.

Bug fix: fix problem in user share file system with 'chown' command.

Improvement: provided abilty to manually define up to 3 DNS Servers when DHCP is not being used.

Improvement: prevent mover from moving files in use.

Improvement: added parallel port support.

Improvement: added SiS 900 ethernet driver.  Also supports SiS 7016 and SiS 540/630 chipsets.

Changes from 4.3 to 4.3.1
-------------------------

Bug fix: fix yet another "clear new disks" bug.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Installed and working well, produces a syslog that is essentially identical to v4.3.2, so v4.3.3 could be called v4.3.2a.

I cannot confirm the long model string fix, since mine are short.  I would however mention that some Hitachi drives also have the problem.

I can confirm that, after spinning down my drives, the modified Spin Up button brought up ALL of my drives the first time.  It uses the method discussed in the 'Sluggish Spinup' thread, calling hdparm for each drive, with the parameter to set the currently configured spindown time.  This should be more reliable for most, but the few users who set their own spin down times individually, may not want to use it, since it will reset their spindown times to the configured value.

There is another small side effect of the new Spin Up method (possibly undesirable, but probably does not affect most users), but I will write about it in the 'Sluggish Spinup' thread.  I prefer not to clutter the Announcement thread.

I have NEVER enabled User Shares. On my media server I have only a few shares and except for one they are common across ALL disks. DVD and HD-DVD are common. Upgrade to 4.3.3 and my DVD share shows only the DVDs on disk6. Look and User Shares are ON. Turn that OFF like it was and I no longer have top level shares only disk level shares - that will NOT fly. Turn on User Shares again and I'm back to seeing just the one drive worth  - also not going to fly.

Anyone else seeing this? Had no issues with 4.3.1! Still have 4.3.1 booted on first server but upgraded files, afraid to reboot it now!

Going to 4.3.2 from 4.3.3 produces an invalid config on my first two disks - both WD 1TB units. Lovely! :(

Jul 18 20:23:14 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:14 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:37 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:37 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:51 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:51 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:58 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:23:58 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:24:09 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:24:09 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:24:11 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:24:11 VOID kernel: md1: wrong
Jul 18 20:27:20 VOID kernel: md0: wrong
Jul 18 20:27:20 VOID kernel: md1: wrong

Okay, much thrashing here! Went back to 4.3.3, data intact no config issues blah blah.

Looked over my shares - new disk had shares named "hd-dvd" and "dvd". Other older disks had shares named "HD-DVD" and "DVD". Case sensitive is Linux - mmm! Had no issues previously that I am aware of although I was rebooting because I wasn't seeing files dropped to the new disk in the shares and OBTW upgrading. Not sure how this is best handled except to DUH keep your shares case sensitivity consistent! I was mostly clued in when I saw both DVD and dvd as proposed share names when user shares was turned on - thought that was "odd". Now I know why!

• 3 weeks later...

I just built a new UNRAID server which is up and running using version 4.2.4 and I wish to upgrade to 4.3.3.

Could someone please clarify the upgrade instructions for me.

Do I only need to do the following:

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:

bzimage

bzroot

Or is this step also required:

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

Any help would be appreciated.