How to update firmware on an already flashed M1015?

I flashed my M1015s with madburgs files (P11). I want to update to P14. Can I just follow madburgs 5 steps replacing the 2118it.bin with the new one or is there an even easier method?

Just treat it as a normal LSI card, now - it's no longer treated as cross-flashing.

Can it be done on the unraid server where the cards are in now?

If you look back at the LSI controller f/w updates thread, you will see that I started flashing on the unRAID server, using the linux version of sas2flash. Just stop the array (or bring it up in maintenance mode?) before you flash, or you risk data corruption.

...flashing an M1015 to a 9211-8i (cross-flash) has 5 steps.

Now, since you HAVE FLASHED it sucessfully, there are less steps involved.

Look into the package for the LSI2008 in the link I gave....madburg's package for this only contains 4 steps.

The numbering of steps is not consistent throughout all packages in that thread.

Step 3 in this case will flash the card:

sas2flash -l FlashLog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Yes, I flashed with BIOS, since I am using staggered spin-up...my current PSU has two 12V rails, so I am shifting the load ;-)

• 1 month later...

So, if I were coming from a stock M1015 and wanted to use madburg's method of flashing, would I download the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11), and then replace the 2118ir, it, and mptsas2.rom files with the ones I pulled from LSI's P14 zip? Then just run through the steps as if nothing were different?

Would I also have to replace the updated sas2flsh.exe file from the LSI zip?

• 1 month later...

So, if I were coming from a stock M1015 and wanted to use madburg's method of flashing, would I download the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11), and then replace the 2118ir, it, and mptsas2.rom files with the ones I pulled from LSI's P14 zip? Then just run through the steps as if nothing were different?

Would I also have to replace the updated sas2flsh.exe file from the LSI zip?

That looks like an approach that should work fine from my point of view, but why bother?

Since (Cross-)Flashing process is taking away approx 2-5mins from your life, I'd flash using

the package provided and once flashed to IT use normal update procedure again..

P15 is out I believe...did see it mentioned somewhere at servethehome forums...

...and yes, I would always use the sas2flash program provided/paired by LSI with the binary firmware.

I would also like an answer to zeros question. I have 2 M1015's that have been flashed to p9 but would like to go to p14. Can the files just be replaced and then start at step 5?

...if already flashed to IT, then it is step 3 from the other package.

See my earlier post above...the command is listed there...just use the files from the package provided by LSI with it.