unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

Download | Release Notes

Please post issues in the unRAID OS 5.0-rc Board

EDIT: download link now points to -rc8a

This is a "roll up" release, that incorporates all the changes from -rc5, -rc6, -rc6-xxx, -rc7, and using the latest 3.4.x series kernel (3.4.11) that includes fixes for mpt2sas disk spin up/down issue.

What's left for 5.0 "final"?  Basically some bug fixed and a Plugin Manager.

However... We are about to announce (finally) a new server product.  This is a 3U rack mount server with a semi-custom designed chassis made for us by iStar.  This server has been designed for low power and low noise (though not silent).  It includes 80+ "bronze" and "gold" power supply options and incorporates 4-pin chassis fans that can be thermally controlled - most of the time they are spinning slow for low noise.  In addition, the chassis is 19" deep in order to fit into many AV racks.

The 'standard' configuration includes 10 tray-less "warm swap" 3.5" drive bays (warm swap means you can add/remove drives with power on, but with array Stopped).  As an option you can order the unit with an additional 4 "warm swap" 2.5" drive bays.

To support additional features of this server, some changes are being made in the software:

- multiple arrays

- multiple ethernet ports

- additional file systems

More later....

DSC_0411.JPG.0ee23c520f324480d4cfe614a9bef135.JPG

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to be working, only problem is the same as the last RC (and the test builds) and that's parity sync is a lot slower than earlier 5.0 builds and 4.7. Tunable (md_sync_window) is set to 512 as you suggested.

Parity build = 90MB/s to 110MB/s

Parity sync = 40MB/s to 65MB/s (this is way too slow, ~24 hour parity syncs every month, if anything sync should be faster than a build)

If I downgrade to B12a, I get much faster speeds but then I get SAS2LP errors. I'll keep using RC8 but I hope this is fixable.

However... We are about to announce (finally) a new server product.  This is a 3U rack mount server with a semi-custom designed chassis made for us by iStar.  This server has been designed for low power and low noise (though not silent).  It includes 80+ "bronze" and "gold" power supply options and incorporates 4-pin chassis fans that can be thermally controlled - most of the time they are spinning slow for low noise.  In addition, the chassis is 19" deep in order to fit into many AV racks.

The 'standard' configuration includes 10 tray-less "warm swap" 3.5" drive bays (warm swap means you can add/remove drives with power on, but with array Stopped).  As an option you can order the unit with an additional 4 "warm swap" 2.5" drive bays.

Which motherboard and controller cards are you standardizing on for this iteration?

Tom, you mention RC7, where is that release located. Dont see an announcement for it?

Where no other posted bugs fixed, that were posted in the 5.0-rc board? Don't see any meantion to them in the release notes.

Question on "To support additional features of this server, some changes are being made in the software:", does that mean only that hardware will come with the additional software changes, or included for all in RC8 to try out?

Seems to be working, only problem is the same as the last RC (and the test builds) and that's parity sync is a lot slower than earlier 5.0 builds and 4.7. Tunable (md_sync_window) is set to 512 as you suggested.

Parity build = 90MB/s to 110MB/s

Parity sync = 40MB/s to 65MB/s (this is way too slow, ~24 hour parity syncs every month, if anything sync should be faster than a build)

If I downgrade to B12a, I get much faster speeds but then I get SAS2LP errors. I'll keep using RC8 but I hope this is fixable.

Do you mean "Parity check" is slower?  (Parity sync to me is same thing as parity build.)  What's your h/w config?

Multiple arrays - yeah! I'm looking forward to being able to have a backup of my media in the same box :)

Is this a few weeks away? Or are we talking next year? Should I order another parity drive yet?

Going to try rc8 when I get home tonight.

Whiteatom

I hope that feature waits for 5.1

So far as I am concerned we need to squash bugs in 5.0 and then call it final.  Stop adding more features.  We need to leave the plugin manager and multi-array stuff for 5.1

I hope that feature waits for 5.1

So far as I am concerned we need to squash bugs in 5.0 and then call it final.  Stop adding more features.  We need to leave the plugin manager and multi-array stuff for 5.1

Agree. Though I'd love to see a plugin manager with the 5.0 final I think we just need a barebones stable build to make 5.0 live.

It sounds like with the MV8 issue resolved there aren't going to be many more changes to 5.0. You all know as well as I do that the name of the thing isn't going to make any difference. If you are happy with the stability of the 5.0rc's as I am, then run it and don't worry about the name - I'm happy to call this one 5.0 final in my head if I don't see any controller errors. There are going to be bug fixes and changes regardless of if this current release was called 5.0-final or 5.0-rc8a.

I agree that it would be nice for all the 4.7 people to see something with "final" on it, but in practice, it's just a name. I'm looking forward to multiple arrays regardless of what the version is called. Look at Plex (version 0.9 for the last 20 odd releases) or SB (alpha even thought it's pretty much perfect now); all of these are stable enough for our home use, even if they aren't called final. I promise I'm not just stirring the pot... but people seem to get so caught up in the versioning when really its about functionality.

Anyway, my $0.02. Thanks for showing us some major progress Tom :)

whiteatom

We need to leave the plugin manager and multi-array stuff for 5.1

I 1000% agree.  That is a great roadmap for 5.1  (for the plugin-manager) and 5.2 (for multi-array), leaving the kernel and network drivers the same as 5.0-final.

In any case, I loaded this rc8 release on my C2SEE based server, rebooted, and lost connectivity with it.   

(currently running headless, will have to connect a monitor to see why...  Possibly the missing network driver??)

Joe L.

Edit: to correct release I had loaded. (it was rc8)

Joe are you sure you installed 8a as 8 had the Ethernet driver issue?

No,  I installed rc8 last night.  I could not connect once I rebooted, but I left the server run overnight.

I now need to take the server apart later to get to the flash drive to load 8a. 

(it is mounted internally)  It is not as bad as it seems,  as the C2SEE based server is a backup of my older server.

(which is still online)

Joe L.

@Tom, can we see update of following part in the next build?

Netatalk to version 3.0

Samba to version 3.6.8

//Peter

Would also like to see Netatalk V3.0.

Plugin manager would be nice but I'm willing to wait for 5.1 to see that.

Installed rc8a on a HP N40L. No problems so far.

Thx

Joe are you sure you installed 8a as 8 had the Ethernet driver issue?

No,  I installed rc8 last night.  I could not connect once I rebooted, but I left the server run overnight.

I now need to take the server apart later to get to the flash drive to load 8a. 

(it is mounted internally)  It is not as bad as it seems,  as the C2SEE based server is a backup of my older server.

(which is still online)

Joe L.

bah im so lazy id plug another flash drive in and copy it over to /boot and reboot it