unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks - that does explain what it is.  That said, why would we need to install on top of unraid re the new samba?  From the sound of it, I would only need this if I have added other plugins or modules that require PAM.  My question is, does the new samba now require it because of the way share authinication works?  As you can likely tell, I'm nota unix guy.  :)

Or, did you need to isntall it because of a specific plugin you are running?  Just trying to understand why this topic came up.  If it is required strickly because of the new samba, then I will likely wait until it's part of unraid so I don't have to bolt on any extras to make it work.

I would just like to say thank you for including the it87 hardware monitoring module and to please keep it in future builds. I just replaced my unraid server motherboard with an ASUS C60M1-I and I am able to control my fans without much modification (just had to add "modprobe it87 force_id=0x8721" to the go file).

With my previous motherboard I had to compile the module myself for each unraid version so I could control the fan based on hdd temps. This thing sits next to my TV and I want it as quiet as possible without compromising temps too much. By the way, it couldn't hurt to have most of the other monitoring modules built as well just in case someone needs to use one. Just a suggestion.

Again, thank you for this great system.

thanks - that does explain what it is.  That said, why would we need to install on top of unraid re the new samba? 

<snip>

If it is required strictly because of the new samba, then I will likely wait until it's part of unraid so I don't have to bolt on any extras to make it work.

The SAMBA version in rc8a is reported by many to have issues when deleting files.  It was discovered that installing a later version of samba solves the problem.

Two newer versions of SAMBA exist.  The newest of them requires yet another package.

If you do not want to install packages on top of your release, wait for a final release.  Just be patient.  :( :( :( There is no scheduled date.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

This has nothing to do with the SimpleFeatures add-on.

Joe L.

thanks - that does explain what it is.  That said, why would we need to install on top of unraid re the new samba? 

<snip>

If it is required strictly because of the new samba, then I will likely wait until it's part of unraid so I don't have to bolt on any extras to make it work.

The SAMBA version in rc8a is reported by many to have issues when deleting files.  It was discovered that installing a later version of samba solves the problem.

Two newer versions of SAMBA exist.  The newest of them requires yet another package.

If you do not want to install packages on top of your release, wait for a final release.  Just be patient.  :( :( :( There is no scheduled date.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

This has nothing to do with the SimpleFeatures add-on.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, but I already knew that.  As you can read in my sig, I'm running a newer version of samba  because of the issues.  3.6.8 is good for me.  The post you replied to was about samba 4 and why we would need PAM.

I just noticed that when doing a Shutdown, I see a message on my server screen that says ...something about not saving the Syslog file, then I see ...Consider installing Automatically zip Syslog...and then it goes by so fast I can't see exactly what is causing this message.

Is there a add-on or something that should be in my GO file to tell it to zip the current Syslog?

I'm also curious to see what others have in their GO file.  Mine is very small, just starts the webgui and installs the new Samba, that's it.

Anyone?

Really, nobody knows what this is?  I see this on the server screen everytime I shutdown.  Could it be a simple features thing or is this part of core unraid?

However... We are about to announce (finally) a new server product.  This is a 3U rack mount server with a semi-custom designed chassis made for us by iStar.  This server has been designed for low power and low noise (though not silent).  It includes 80+ "bronze" and "gold" power supply options and incorporates 4-pin chassis fans that can be thermally controlled - most of the time they are spinning slow for low noise.  In addition, the chassis is 19" deep in order to fit into many AV racks.

The 'standard' configuration includes 10 tray-less "warm swap" 3.5" drive bays (warm swap means you can add/remove drives with power on, but with array Stopped).  As an option you can order the unit with an additional 4 "warm swap" 2.5" drive bays.

To support additional features of this server, some changes are being made in the software:

- multiple arrays

- multiple ethernet ports

- additional file systems

More later....

Tom,

any news about this new case. price, availability on just the case.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I wanna thank Tom for adding extra array disks to the driver. Thanks Tom! Just noticed it today when i was adding the pro key to my build of older hardware. I want to replace this build mid 2013. So then i need some help to chose my hardware or maybe buy the prebuild server of Limetech...

Hi,

I wanna thank Tom for adding extra array disks to the driver. Thanks Tom! Just noticed it today when i was adding the pro key to my build of older hardware. I want to replace this build mid 2013. So then i need some help to chose my hardware or maybe buy the prebuild server of Limetech...

If you need help with hardware start a thread in that forum section (If you are looking for prebuilt see the link in my sig; Rajahal and myself will build prebuilt servers to any specs you like).

I too was thinking of updating my motherboard, and adding more memory.  I'd like to know what the recommeneded brand / model would be.

If you would like hardware recommendation start a thread in the hardware forum and describe what you plan on using the server for.

But I will say this: unless your looking to gain something specific with the update I suggest not touching anything!  If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I have been running version 4.7 for the longest time, and it is still running. You might want to consider going to virtualized with ESXi if you are considering changing your hardware. I am building mine out right now with an unRAID 5 virtual machine and a Windows Server 2012 Essentials virtual machine that will handle PC backups. It is very flexible. My unRAID 4.7 has been so reliable though it will be tough to retire it.

Hi,

If you need help with hardware start a thread in that forum section (If you are looking for prebuilt see the link in my sig; Rajahal and myself will build prebuilt servers to any specs you like).

I certainly will do that...

You can tweak the "tunable" parameters under 'disk settings'. I have made mine 10 times larger (i.e. add a '0' to each value) as a result parity check went 3 hours faster...

Another month, another parity check.  No where near as good as the first run after adjusting the tunables, but still better than before

Monthly Parity Check with 10x default Tunables

Last checked on Tue Jan 1 08:43:11 2013 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 7 hours, 43 minutes, 9 seconds. Average speed: 72.0 MB/sec

Monthly Parity Check with default Tunables

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 11:26:52 2012 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 10 hours, 26 minutes, 50 seconds. Average speed: 53.2 MB/sec

Forced Parity Check with after changing to 10x default Tunables and running 24hours after Monthly Default.

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 23:09:21 2012 SGT (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 5 hours, 47 minutes, 18 seconds. Average speed: 96.0 MB/sec

You can tweak the "tunable" parameters under 'disk settings'. I have made mine 10 times larger (i.e. add a '0' to each value) as a result parity check went 3 hours faster...

Another month, another parity check.  No where near as good as the first run after adjusting the tunables, but still better than before

Monthly Parity Check with 10x default Tunables

Last checked on Tue Jan 1 08:43:11 2013 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 7 hours, 43 minutes, 9 seconds. Average speed: 72.0 MB/sec

Monthly Parity Check with default Tunables

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 11:26:52 2012 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 10 hours, 26 minutes, 50 seconds. Average speed: 53.2 MB/sec

Forced Parity Check with after changing to 10x default Tunables and running 24hours after Monthly Default.

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 23:09:21 2012 SGT (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 5 hours, 47 minutes, 18 seconds. Average speed: 96.0 MB/sec

10x values (plus a reboot to be 100% sure it took), had zero increase for me, so I'm guessing it's very much system dependent.

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 09:45:02 2012 EST (three days ago), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 9 hours, 45 minutes, 0 seconds. Average speed: 85.5 MB/sec

Last checked on Tue Jan 1 09:49:22 2013 EST (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 9 hours, 49 minutes, 21 seconds. Average speed: 84.9 MB/sec