RC8a Unable to delete files & persistent .tmp files

dalben

Since the upgrade I've noticed that I'm leaving .tmp files around all over the place.  It's tied to the fact that I can't seem to delete files from my windows PC anymore.

If I delete these .tmp files through windows, they appear to delete fine.  Then after a refresh, they appear again.  I can only delete them through an SSH session.

Nothing else has changed on my server except for upgrading to RC8a.

I've tried rebooting my workstation b ut that didn't help.  I ran the fix permissions from the web console as well but it didn't change anything.

Any ideas on what's causing this and/or how to fix it ?

Edit: Just an update on this.

When I delete a file, it gores through the motions as detailed, but then reappears.  When it re-appears I have no rights to delete it / copy over it / rename it. It's CHMOD is 640.  Owner is my login ID.

This is starting to cause me some problems.

You know ... I did notice some weird issues with stuff not seeming to delete when i was playing around with new shares for a Plex media server install.  But I couldn't pin it on unraid since I was really being sloppy with changing names of shares.  But twice I deleted folders I created myself in two cache only shares only to see those folders still in place via the unraid browser UI.  I had to use a shell to delete them and then they were gone for good. [shrug] might be completely unrelated to your issue and might have been my fault for being sloppy with shares.  but it did just seem odd

I had the cache drive issues too but ignored thinking it was my doing.  I was swappong over from some unmenu packages to plugins.

I've been able to replicate the issue.

I open an xlsx file on an unraid share.  Excel creates it's own backup, file name starting with ~.  So far so good.

When I click "save" or Excel autosaves, that's when a .TMP file is created.  That's not an Excel feature that I am aware of. the naming convention of the TMP file is as follows:

BD22BB3C.tmp

It doesn't end there.  This only happens the first time I save the file.  If I go into the SSH shell and delete the temp file, it will be deleted.  If I then save my excel file again (I hadn't closed the file yet), the TMP file DOESN'T reappear.  So it only gets created the first time I save a file.

Now, if I close the excel file and reopen it, it all starts again.  The first save creates a .TMP file that needs to be deleted via shell.  Subsequent saves don't.

I just tried with a MS Word document as well and the symptoms are the same.

Being unable to delete from the cache drive is happening as well.

I just deleted 8 files from a share on the cache drive, all should have the same permissions as the transmission plugins put the files there.  6 deleted fine.  2 keep re-appearing.  I need to go in via SSH to delete the files permanently.

Unless anyone has any ideas, I'm about to roll back to RC6 to see if that fixes these problems.

Yes, I connect with my own login account which has admin rights.

Can you elaborate? In unRAID  click on the "Users" tab, besides "root" are there any other accounts list?

I am still having issues myself, working with files and directories. What I did is remove all accounts from unRAID only keeping "root", ran new permissions. Example, Sab via another device not installed on unRAID, brought down a movie to the cache drive. I cut and pasted that movie (via another device) to another area on the cache drive. Extracted a zip file. When you cut and paste those extract files out to another directory, windows stated files in use. I checked via a utility no access lock on the directory or files. So I created a new directory and cut and pasted the contents of the directory I could now cut and paste into this new directory no problem, then deleted the top level folder and it allowed it. So i though, via console the directory is still there...

drwxrwx--- 2 nobody users      48 2012-09-21 15:34 Dark\ Tide\ (2012)\ (1080p)\ Nl\ Remuxed/

As far as I understand that is correct permissions. So how is it on the original client you cannot see it? Now unless I create a test dummy file in the top level folder it will reappear otherwise I cannot see it. From another client I do see it and if you try to access it, you receive an access denied. Again don't understand how that could be if the permissions are correct. Running into this situation all over the place. Its a disaster to say the least.

Here is one I was deleting altogether, diretory is still there and access deined to any client:

drwxrwx--- 2 nobody users 48 2012-09-21 15:40 SPARTACUS_GOTA_D2/

Update:

Tried to delete a bit differently. I decide to delete the files first then the actual folder to see if there was a difference between deleting all in one shot. I selected 2 files only and deleted them, hit refresh and they reappeared like magic. Rinse and repeat, same thing, they reappear.

Yes, I have other users.  Each family member connects with their own user account.

This is causing me all sorts of problems now so I'm reverting back to RC6 because I only have 1 live system, no test.  During the week if I have time I'll roll forward again if there is anything anyone wants me to try or to test.

Instead of rolling back to a previous version at the moment. I stopped the array and started it back up again. The individual files I last deleted in a directory that keep reappearing and I could see via (ls -l) console, now where gone. The directories with files i attempted to delete now showed the directories with no files, so the files deleted and the directories didnt. But now I was able to delete them. So I started to work off the unRAID cache drive again. Once again this behaviour started all over again.

So it seems to be some sort of dead lock and/or smb issue with RC8a.

Have no choice now but to move back to a previous version. B12a has been the best so far with LSI controllers for me. MUCH faster and accepts multipule clients accessing (read/write) from unRAID. Where RC6test2 and RC8 hang windows explorer alot and with multipule windows explorer windows open, they start refreshing just by browsing directories and you have to wait a long time for the progess bar to finish the refresh. Which doesnt happen in B12a unless you really tax unRAID. I would have to say almost 50% difference in preformance between B12a and RC6test2/RC8. This is real world working with unRAID not based on parity check's etc...

I will look and post shorty, I don't mess with any of those files unless its meantioned in the release notes to do something like that.

Went back to b12a. Everything is instantly perfect with permissions and this behavior, not to mention the performance. Will post that file shortly, dinner with the family at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion, u never know.

I don't have a "smb-extra.conf" file.

Per release notes:

Changes from 5.0-rc3 to 5.0-rc4

-------------------------------

- linux: use kernel version 3.0.33

- linux: add "AMD Family 10h+ temperature sensor" driver (k10temp)

- linux: add "AMD Family 15h processor power" driver (fam15h_power)

- linux: add "Intel 10GbE PCI Express" driver (ixgbe)

- linux: add "SCSI generic support" (sg)

- shfs: fix NFS stale file handle problems

- samba (SMB protocol): put 'root' in 'invalid users' list in /etc/samba/smb.conf

- samba (SMB protocol): set 'max protocol = SMB2' in /etc/samba/smb.conf instead of in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba

- emhttp: when user deleted, purge user from all access lists

- emhttp: improve start/stop array operations

Checking RC8a, it does contain:

# misc.
max protocol = SMB2

and

# hook for user-defined samba config
include = /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

So I don't require a "smb-extra.conf" file, looks like Tom added the ability to have users test thing on the fly by reading a "smb-extra.conf" file should one exist. Now I am wondering if you guys have dupe entries as he has added that to the conf (as of RC4) and you have it set in the "smb-extra.conf" file as well...

Per notes for Samba, 3.6.0 introduced SMB2 support (not on by default) using "max protocol = SMB2", and Tom added 3.6.1 in Beta13, and meationed:

Right.  To enable SMB2, create a file in the 'config' directory on the flash called 'smb-extra.conf'.  Inside this file, add this line:

max protocol = SMB2

Then Stop/Start array.

He probably should have mentioned in RC4 to have you guys remove that file from you /boot/config folder.

dalben, correct me if I am wrong, we both are using domain based/joined computers and accessing unRAID with them, yes?

Assuming many users of unRAID have windows devices are not domain based/joined...?

I also found Samba 3.6.8 - Fix crash bug in smbd caused by a blocking lock followed by close bug #9084.

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9084

A timed brlock with 2 locks comes in and the second one blocks,

file is closed. smbd_cancel_pending_lock_requests_by_fid sets

blr->fsp to NULL. reply_lockingX_error (called via

MSG_SMB_BLOCKING_LOCK_CANCEL) deferences blr->fsp because

blr->lock_num==1 (the second one blocked).

OK, more research: Exactly what dalben is experiencing:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-August/168781.html

Which let me to this: https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9058

So clearly, RC6 had Samba 3.6.5 running hence no problem for dalben, RC8 when to 3.6.7 (bug is in 3.6.6 & 3.6.7)

So seems like we need to be on Samba 3.6.8.

dalben, correct me if I am wrong, we both are using domain based/joined computers and accessing unRAID with them, yes?

Assuming many users of unRAID have windows devices are not domain based/joined...?

No domain here, just all part of the same workgroup.

OK, more research: Exactly what dalben is experiencing:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-August/168781.html

Which let me to this: https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9058

So clearly, RC6 had Samba 3.6.5 running hence no problem for dalben, RC8 when to 3.6.7 (bug is in 3.6.6 & 3.6.7)

So seems like we need to be on Samba 3.6.8.

I'm assuming this is part of the kernel and nothing me can change ourselves ?  If that's the case then I'll need to stay off RC8 until samba is upgraded or downgraded.

Yes, that seems to be the case here, for anyone experiencing/hitting the bug.

I know there are people who know how to compile this stuff, but it would be a lost cause.

Say u took RC8 and upgraded samba to 3.6.8 and all was well. Tom could decide to downgrade the next RC back to using 3.6.5, or vice versa you downgrade RC8 to 3.6.5 and Tom decides to upgrade samba to 3.6.8 in the next release.

I would probably do it for fun if I knew how, but short on time to learn how to do something like this on my own.

Hi, I'm also having trouble deleting folders in 5.0-rc8a.

I use my Win7 PC to access my files on the server.

If I press delete on a folder it doesn't delete. When I press delete again it says something like not found or no permission.

I have to then reboot the server and when I browse back to the folder it's still there but empty and it then allows me to delete the empty folder.

Just trying to delete a folder now crashed my server and I had to do a hard reset because I couldn't even access it via telnet or //tower

Will have to roll back to previous version until 5.0-rc9 is out. :(

Keep in mind sometimes when you try to delete a directory from windows it doesn't let you because windows LOVES to make thumb files in media directories and holds the file open to show a preview. Annoying as hell.

Not saying there isn't a samba issue, but not every instance will be resolved by the samba fix

Keep in mind sometimes when you try to delete a directory from windows it doesn't let you because windows LOVES to make thumb files in media directories and holds the file open to show a preview. Annoying as hell.

Not saying there isn't a samba issue, but not every instance will be resolved by the samba fix

That is true.

However it was happening every time with RC8 and unfortunately I had so many problems with it being unresponsive, not deleting, infinite "retry unmount drives", not being able to stop the array to be able to shut it down etc.

Since going back to RC5 no problems :D

I can second that. I had same type issues and solved it by loading Samba 3.6.8

So far all looks good.

Unraid 5bld rc8a.    pro

Quad amid CPU

4gig mem

Plugins ..Sab, Sick beard, Air video, Plex,  team speak, APC, UTSERVER,Maraschino, webserver

Joe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

Just to update this thread.  These issues, at least for me, are now resolved by downloading and installing the latest samba package.

Details and instructions are in the RC8 announcement thread.

I'm having the same trouble and cannot find a post with details on this... If someone could point this out to me, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: I think this is it, or at least the start of the relevant information. Also, apparently 3.6.9 is the new hotness.

Archived