ASUS P5PE-VM BIOS Settings

Hi Tom,

Since the ASUS P5PE-VM micro ATX motherboard looks like a good replacement for the original Intel micro ATX motherboard, could you possibly review the Asus user guide and recommend BIOS settings and especially for PATA, SATA, and PATA+SATA drive combinations?

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

Right now, I'm only using a couple of old PATA/IDE drives and only in a test configuration (the server is currently off unless I want to test something).  I plan to add a mix of proper SATA and IDE drives soon, so I can expand on those settings when I have done it.

The basic BIOS config (that you have to change or at least check from default) for this board is as follows:

[*] - Note - ensure you have your USB stick plugged in before you start:

1. Main:  -> IDE Configuration:

Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced

Enhanced Mode Support On = SATA

IDE Detect Timeout = 5 (I changed this to the smallest setting to speed up the POST/boot process)

2. Advanced:

Audio AC97 = Disabled

On Board LAN = Enabled (I think this is actually the default but worth double checking :) )

-> USB Configuration:

USB Function = Enabled

Legacy USB = Enabled

USB 2.0 Controller = Enabled

USB 2.0 Controller Mode = HiSpeed

-> USB Mass Storage Device Config:

Device #1 = [the name of your USB stick]  - if this is blank or not there, I guess it hasn't detected your USB device

Emulation Type = Auto

3. Boot

1st Boot Device = [Choose the name of your USB stick]

2nd Boot Device = [i chose the Disabled option here]

User jgs2n has already setup his P5PE-VM system with SATA drives using these same settings so this should be all you need to get going.

HTH,

Matt :)

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in getting back here, but I got busy with other stuff.

Anyway, I've got my BIOS settings for this motherboard - but first a little background info.

I currently have only 3 drives connected to my array - 2 Seagate 500Gb SATA2 drives connected directly to the M/board SATA controller and a 3rd Seagate 500Gb drive connected via a Promise SATA300 TX4 SATA PCI controller card. My USB Flashdrive is a SanDisk U3 Cruzer, so if you're not using that you should see the description of your own device (obviously)

According to the BIOS I am running AMIBIOS version 0604 with a build date of 07/10/06 (this is the default my board arrived with, and this info can be found on the MAIN tab under the System Information heading)

I've deliberately chosen (at this stage) not to have the BIOS set up for WOL as my intention is to have this server running 24x7 - so this will explain the later settings. I may choose to change my mind later!

Anyway, everything seems to work just fine at the moment, including doing full "Power Downs" from the browser console and hitting the Power button again to start again, and doing a Reboot via both the browser console and hitting the server's own front panel reset button.

Finally, I've only listed settings that are, or might be relevant...

Advanced

Onboard Devices Configuration

Onboard AC'97 Audio [Disabled]

Onboard LAN     [Enabled]

Onboard LAN Boot ROM  [Disabled]

Serial Port1 Address     [Disabled]

Parallel Port Address     [Disabled]

USB Configuration

USB Function       [Enabled]

Legacy USB Support        [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Controller       [Enable]

USB 2.0 Controller Mode   [HiSpeed]

USB Mass Storage Device Configuration

USB Mass Storage Reset Delay [20 Sec]

Device #1                 SanDisk U3 Cruzer Mi

Emulation Type     [Hard Disk]

Device #2       SanDisk U3 Cruzer Mi

Emulation Type     [Hard Disk]

Power

Suspend Mode [s1 (POS) only]

ACPI 2.0 Support [No]

ACPI APIC support [Enabled]

APM Configuration

Power Button Mode   [On/Off]

Restore on AC Power Loss [Power Off]

Power On By RTC Alarm [Disabled]

Power On By LAN     [Disabled]

Power On By External Modems  [Disabled]

Power On By PCI Devices [Disabled]

Power On By PS/2 Keyboard      [Disabled]

Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Disabled]

Boot

Boot Device Priority

1st Boot Device [sandisk U3 Cruzer]

2nd Boot Device [Disabled]

Hard Disks

1st Drive [sandisk U3 Cruzer]

2nd Drive [sandisk U3 Cruzer]

3rd Drive [3M-ST3500641NS]

4th Drive [4M-ST3500641AS]

5th Drive [sATA300 TX4 D0]

Boot Settings Configuration

Quick Boot [Enabled]

Full Screen Logo [Enabled]

AddOn ROM Display Mode [Force BIOS]

Bootup Num Lock     [On]

PS/2 Mouse Support     [Auto]

Wait For 'F1'if Error [Disabled]

Hit 'DEL' Message Display    [Enabled]

Interrupt 19 Capture     [Disabled]

The only points I found quite interesting is the setting for 'F1'. If you don't set it to disabled, each time you reboot or go into the BIOS you'll need to hit 'F1' on the keyboard - a bit of a problem if you want to reboot and don't have a keyboard connected!

Secondly, I don't know why my USB drive shows up TWICE - but it seems to do this in Windows as well.

Anyway, I hope these settings are useful to those using this board.

Any comments are welcome.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Well i have been lurking around for a while back when this was first talked about on AVS. I have waited for SATA and a different board solutions. Well I built my system this weekend. budget was a concern so I went this way

ASUS P5PE-VM, 3.06 Celeron D (all I could get in Canada) less then 100$, 256 DDR x 2, sata 2 WD 250GB 8 Mb - 85$ each to start, Kingston 512 data traveler flash, And a 400W PSU and rebuilt one of my server towers that was lying around I can put 5 drives inside and 5 cages in the 5.25 bays. All for 510$ CDN including our 14% tax in Ont. A not on the drives - they both went in no problem and no errors as one being smaller for Parity, I saw this in another post.

The system went together OK. One big point, If you have not installed a celeron "d" processor in one of these boards before be careful the tension from the Intel heatsink puts a huge bend in the board at the processor. I found some old stick on edge supports that I had and put some support in the middle of the upper two screws. This to me is a flaw waiting to happen down the road but I checked with my supplier and he showed me a system or two they built and they are all the same. I am using the two sata ports on the board for now.

No on to the bios, I spent about 1hr trying to get it too boot from the flash, this is an 0704 bios rev current shipping I guess. It was frustrating, one thing I found is I would change then save and go back my settings would be different. I ended up resetting to original settings and then just setting the data traveler to first Removeable device and then setting it to the 1st boot priority.

It would not boot as a hard drive for me. I do have it emulated as one though.

My setting are similar to what is listed in other posts, I had to set the USB to Auto emulation, it will not boot when forced to hard drive. I have been able to disable the floppy controller, serial and parallel ports audio. but I did this by changing one thing at a time in the bios and trying it. I can now get it to boot everytime.

overall not a bad experience, when compared with setting up a 2000 and Notes servers.

After that - I got it up and running then went to set up my drives, Is there NO way to refresh Automatically - my drive was mounted for the length of watching a movie, then I noticed the refresh button, I hit it and it was running, NOW! how long did the mount take, I do not know for sure. The refresh thing really bugs me is there no way to view it live other then the console or to update on it;s own..

Anyhow now to rip some disc's, I remember back sometime in another post, what is the average size of a complete ripped DVD, the whole disc.

In other light, I really wanted to try this with an AMD setup. It would have cut cost by 50$ or another Hard drive almost. The Semprons are really cheap up here, but to find a 754 board that would support what has been tested would have been more money and then you needed a VGA card. 

Thanks for the hardwork Tom, great product and I cannot wait to get all my movies and music onto this thing.

crankbearing,

Did you follow the instructions that came with the processor?

If you bought a boxed (retail) Intel processor there are instructions that tell you how to mount the heatsink/fan on the motherboard.

They specifically tell you to mount the heatsink/fan on the motherboard after the motherboard is securely mounted in the pc chassis.

I just recently put together a P5PE-VM motherboard and a retail Celeron 2.66GHz cpu for evaluation in an intermediate size tower case.

When I installed the heatsink/fan, I had no problems with the motherboard warping because it was securely mounted to the chassis.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

Hi TCIII

Yes, I checked it a couple times and it was secured in the case very well. That is why I was so surprised. I even followed Asus rec as to secure two pins in a criss cross manner and yes this is a retail boxed cpu. I looked at a few systems over the last couple days that were built in retail stores for demo and they all have a little bend in the board at the processor.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

in the settings listed above it says the following:

Boot

Boot Device Priority

1st Boot Device      [sandisk U3 Cruzer]

2nd Boot Device      [Disabled]

i have my 1st boot device set to my sony stick, but the 2ndand 3rd boot devices are set to my other hard drives, there seems to be no way to sed 2nd and 3rd boot device to Disabled.  how do i do that?