Works: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H only w/Single Core CPU

SlowNIC

Gigabyte  GA-MA78G-DS3H Mainboard AM2+ 6 port SATA      QTY 1 $62.99 = $63 newegg.com

Syba        SD-SA2PEX-2IR  PCIe 2 port SATA                      QTY 5 $14.50 = $87 iwin2win.com

AMD        LE-1640            Athlon 64 45W 2.6GHz 1MB L2    QTY 1 $42.00 = $42 mwave.com

Generic    Dual 1GB DDR2  2 sticks 1GB memory                  QTY 1 $40.00 = $40 yourFavoriteStore

$232 before shipping gets you 16 PCIe sata ports.  Seems like an okay deal.  I'm sure some have done better, but I wanted to share.

Of course, make sure you pick a suitable enclosure with proper airflow and most importantly a power supply that has sufficient 12V current for disk spin-up (typically 1.75A - 2.5A per drive - check the drive specs).  I happen to have an attraction to the CM Stacker 810 cases that I can't seem to get over, even though they have become quite expensive.

The mainboard has built-in video, so get the 2GB so that the shared video memory does not eat into the 1GB range that Unraid uses.

I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I did flash the Syba boards with the latest Non-Raid version of the BIOS.  Some posts in this forum had suggested it.

THIS SETUP WILL NOT WORK WITH A DUAL PROCESSOR - it will reboot on Unraid 4.3.3.  See my other post titled "

Unraid 4.3.3 kernel + Athlon 64 x2 + Sil3132 = REBOOT on write", if you must, for the details...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2310.msg17736#msg17736

HTH