WebGUI unreachable after Headphones sets cookies

Elysium

I recently upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0-rc8a and began troubleshooting an issue in which I would lose access to unRAID's webGUI anytime I would install and use Headphones for a short amount of time.

This problem initially confused the hell out of me because it would persist after reboots, after disabling all plugins, and even after wiping the contents from the flash to a backup copy I made before I even installed Headphones. It wasn't until I decided to load the webGUI from a different browser (where Headphones had not yet set cookies to) that I noticed that it was still accessible.

The issue can be reproduced by viewing both the 'home' and 'logs' pages on Headphones and then refreshing unRAID's webGUI afterwards. Access is restored back to the webGUI after deleting these two cookies: SpryMedia_DataTables_artist_table_home, SpryMedia_DataTables_log_table_logs. The content of both of these cookies are fairly long.

I thought I'd post this here in case others are experiencing the same problem.

So are you able to use headphones or does it keep causing problems with the unraid webgui everytime it loads?

The problem will keep returning whenever you view the Headphone pages that are setting those specific cookies. A temporary solution would be to either set your browser to block cookies from your unRAID server, or to simply use a different browser when using Headphones (this is what I'm doing).

I have found another workaround besides using a different web browser. Use a different web server!

If you are running SimpleFeatures webserver, put a page on that web that redirects to your headphones page.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Headphones</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://10.0.0.11:8084/home"></HEAD>
<BODY>
Redirecting to Headphones
</BODY>
</HTML>

Where I have

url=http://10.0.0.11:8084/home

put whatever url you have for your headphones setup. Then you can just bookmark the redirect page.

• 1 month later...

No solution that is easily deployable on our end. Its something with how the data tables are set. I suppose we could ask the dev to add an option to disable the cookies, as far as I can tell they are only used to remember the sorting of the tables.

I worked around the issue by disabling cookies for tower:8098 (what headphones listens on). I also disabled cookies for my server ip:8098

i'm already in contact with the dev.

the funny thing is, it only happens, after three cookies are set. with only two of those cookies, unraid works fine. (maybe there is simply too much data in the cookies and the unraid webgui can't handle it)

i guess, i could add a big warning text in the plugin, so the user knows, he has to disable cookies for the used port...

If you check the cookies that are set, if the total size is above 4KB then they won't work. Another workaround would be for the dev to set the cookies to the full path instead of root.

So instead of setting to "tower/" set it to "tower/headphones". That should work around the 4KB limit if one of the cookies are set by unraid, which I believe is the case.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No solution that is easily deployable on our end. Its something with how the data tables are set. I suppose we could ask the dev to add an option to disable the cookies, as far as I can tell they are only used to remember the sorting of the tables.

I worked around the issue by disabling cookies for tower:8098 (what headphones listens on). I also disabled cookies for my server ip:8098

How did yo disable cookies on tower:8098?  I'd like to run headphones and this looks like a great work around.

Archived