So, can I use an Xbox with XBMC with this?

twitami

I just booted my older modded box and the hard drive was dead  ::)  Now the process of tracking down Slayer's Evox and getting XBMC installed. I haven't used this in almost 2 years and I was shocked to see how far XBMC has come and that it is still being developed... I wish the 360 would take some ideas from XBMC  :-\

So, if using an Xbox, how do you get all the movies onto the unRAID? DO you burn them using the Xbox drive, or still use a PC ?

I use SlySofts AnyDVD running in the background to decrypt my DVDs. I then use DVDShrink to rip them to a local drive on my PC as VOB files (VideoTS etc.). I remove the foreign languages etc. with DVDShrink and I shrink everything EXCEPT the main movie so as to maintain max quality. Once it's ripped I MOVE the directory it was ripped to over to my array in a DVD directory while the next is being ripped. I do this on multiple machines at once and have done about 350 movies so far.

On the XBMC side I go into the movies area, use the white button to edit or add a source, look for SMB share, find my DVD directory, use it, and then sort through the movies with the XBMC movie tool to get the movie data\icons\etc. when I want to play one I select it and fire it up, the array spins the drive up (takes a sec), I get the DVD menu, and away we go jut as if the DVD was in my drive.

Works nice :-) I'll admit I've not had time to watch many movies but those I have worked well and had DTS sound etc. so nothing is lost near as I can tell. I do not have an HD setup YET...

On the XBOX side of things i just highlight the folder that i ripped the dvd movie to and let XBMC play it! No need to drill down.

Umm, my DVD folders each have like 100 movies in it. I have setup XBMC such that all of the movies are in it's catalog and that is how I play mine rather than having to judge by the folder name WTF is in it <shrug> I'm only drilling down as far as the movie's folder.

On the XBOX side of things i just highlight the folder that i ripped the dvd movie to and let XBMC play it! No need to drill down.

Umm, my DVD folders each have like 100 movies in it. I have setup XBMC such that all of the movies are in it's catalog and that is how I play mine rather than having to judge by the folder name WTF is in it <shrug> I'm only drilling down as far as the movie's folder.

Sorry wasnt trying to say anything bad here about the way you do it. Just thats the way mine are setup.  Should have stated that. Btw i dont have to guess whats in mine either, the folders are named for each DVD.