"Windows cannot access \\TOWER" but I can navigate with tower IP

I just upgraded to 5.0-rc8a and for the most part everything seems to be working. However, when i try to navigate to TOWER (which is what shows up under my Network...Windows 7 machine, just fyi), I get the message "Windows Cannot access \\TOWER...blah blah blah...Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found"

If I type in the server's IP into the explorer, all the disks and shares show up in my Network, and they are all able to be accessed.

tower/ works to browse to the unRaid menu/webpage/whatever-it's-called. Using putty I can telnet into the server using either "tower" or the server's IP.

I feel like I had this issue once before, but I can't for the life of me remember how to fix it. I've run the permissions utility a couple times. I've set the server to local master and rebooted everything. They're both on the same workgroup as well. 

Not sure where to go from here...anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

It might also be worth noting (since I just checked), my HTPC (also a Win7 machine) accesses TOWER just fine, so it seems like there's just something screwy going on with my other computer...again, don't know what to do to fix it though.

On your unRAID server, set 'Local Master'  in 'Settings', 'SMB' to "Yes".  Than try rebooting the Windows machine with the problem. (You might have to reboot your HTPC also and any other windows PC's you have.)  Windows uses its own version of a 'domain name server' to resolve Windows network names which is determined by an election among the samba computers in the workgroup.  It is VERY slow sometimes to get things completely resolved and identify every computer in the Windows workgroup.  If you leave your unRAID server running all (or most) of the time, you want it to become the Local Master as that will minimize problems in resolving computer names. 

By the way, it will eventually fix everything itself if you leave it alone long enough!  That is why you 'think' you know how to 'fix' it when it starts working while you are trying to resolve the problem!

I had this issue when I first set up unRAID.  I tried all these steps and never could solve the issue.

I changed the server name and it all worked fine.  Changed back to Tower and again couldn't browse by server name.

It bothered me I couldn't ever find an explanation, but it wasn't worth the hassle to troubleshoot once changing the server name solved it.

I had this issue when I first set up unRAID.  I tried all these steps and never could solve the issue.

I changed the server name and it all worked fine.  Changed back to Tower and again couldn't browse by server name.

It bothered me I couldn't ever find an explanation, but it wasn't worth the hassle to troubleshoot once changing the server name solved it.

It is things like this that make you think Windows is haunted.  It will probably work right after Halloween!

I'm frightened that if I change the server name my HTPC will stop recognizing it  :P

I would care about it not recognizing the tower name since the IP address works, but it doesn't connect to the IP address automatically (have to actually type it into the explorer, at which point it then shows up un my Network). Is there any way to add the IP address to the Network permanently?

Well, this happened to me yesterday when I upgraded my laptop and htpc to Win 8.

For me, I was basically able to get to unraid server using \\Tower\ only like half of the time.

Actually, it happened to me awhile ago too.. and the fix is disabling IPv6 in the NIC Properties.

I heard something about Samba's name and IPv6 having some problems.

Do this on the machine that you are using to access the unraid machine.

OmIOM.png

To make things easier windows just loves to cache as much as it can, which can backfire. I think this is the main issue here.

Let's face it, windows easy behind the scenes network configurations have never been great at handling networks, it'll get you internet access(most of the time) but anything beyond that can be a gamble as to if it will work well.

To make things easier windows just loves to cache as much as it can, which can backfire. I think this is the main issue here.

Let's face it, windows easy behind the scenes network configurations have never been great at handling networks, it'll get you internet access(most of the time) but anything beyond that can be a gamble as to if it will work well.

Quite true with peer-to-peer--- Especially about the chaching.  The best thing, you can do to help the situation is to set up unRAID to act as the Local Master and leave it active as much as possible.  (This would rule out any of the sleep modes as the Local Master has to be available to any computer in the workgroup that needs network resolution.)  Then shutdown all other computers in the workgroup and leave them off as least overnight.  Bring them up one at a time and allow a hour or two for everything to resolve. 

The reason why I suggest this method is that the periodical 'election' of the Local Master is determined by a polling of all the computers in the workgroup.  MS has never really said how this works but up-time is apparently one of the factors.  If statistically your unRAID server is the computer in the workgroup most likely to be available to serve as and it is the Local Master, it will retain the 'office'.  Then things will normally behave themselves...

well I pretty regularly turn my pc on and off while my server and my htpc are pretty much always on, which is why i've always kept the server as the local master. But whatever, changing to name worked and all that required was remapping my drives, which took all of 30 seconds. c'est la vie.