supermicro X9SAE-V

Any one an idea if the supermicro X9SAE-V is any good for unRaid ?

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C216/X9SAE-V.cfm

it has for Expansion slots:

1 PCI-32 bit,

2 (x4) PCI-E 2.0,

2 (x1) PCI-E 2.0,

2 (x8) PCI-E 3.0 in x16

2 SATA3 (6Gbps),

4 SATA2 (3Gbps)

Intel® 82574L + 82579LM GbE LAN (not so great combination i guess)

I have Xeon 1265L v2 left over from my 2nd built (where i dod not read the supermicro warning closely enough) and i am tempted to replace my 1st server which has the X7SPA Atom mainbord.

Supermicro confirmed this mainbord supports the 12x5 Xeon CPU's

I am quoted 188 euro for the mainbord, and i need additional memory.

The atom can be promoted to preclear/test box i guess.

That really looks to be more of a workstation board then a server board.

It has a lot of thinks that are not needed like audio and multiple HDMI outputs and tons of USB.

when you start adding more "features" you can also take away from solid stability. In addition, the "5" series Video would be wasted in such a build with unraid as it is just text output.

I have never personally used it myself. so I cant confirm.

you might also consider looking at something like a X9SCM-iiF. that should support the V2 Ivybridge CPU (although your onboard video is wasted). I am not sure if anyone is using the X9SCM-iiF yet or not for unraid. I saw people talking about ordering them. I am not sure if they ever bit the bullet.

the older and proven X9SCM-F "should" run that CPU if it has a V2+ bios upgrade. Nothing is certain though when tying to make something backwards compatible. People are mentioning some mixed results with V2 chips on bios upgraded V1 boards.

If you are just trying to build a server because you have the chip, you might be best off just best off putting it on ebay for $250-$300 as barely used or "open box tested ok" or something and calling it a day. you then save the cost of another server that it sounds like you don't need. and saves you a headache of building a questionable build around it.

If you're a mac guy, you might be able to build a killer hac out of that CPU.

I own the x9scm-f mainbord, have the newest bios, but experienced strange slowdows while moving data. I understoond from posts on the supermicro discussion board that the c204 intel chip is not intended to work with xeon e3 12x5 series cpu's? (so also the x9scm-fii will not work better)

The X9SAE board uses the intel c216 chipset, which supports the 12x5 chips.

I understand your point of view about the extra hardware will not help to make it more stable. The audio can be switched off with a jumper?

The video is via the xeon, but will not get heavy use with a command line only..

I intend to replace the x7spa mainbord. That runs stable, but does not like concurent jobs that much ( preclear multiple hdds and copy data for example)

Selling this 1265l-v2 will not be easy i think, also a possible buyer might run into the same issues and come back to cancel they sale etc.

The x9sae-v is 220 euro including tax, memory is like 180 for 16GB.

This leaves me with a z7spa test setup on which i can pre clear new hdds so the server can either stay down or be used to view movies withouth interuptions etc.

Thanks for your input.

Does the X9SAE have IPMI?

If ever you wanna sell the X7SPA I am interested. PM me if you want.

I also experience slowdowns on a X9SCM-F (no IIF), with an E3-1240. Also V2 BIOS. I use a flashed M1015 and Areca 1200 controller. I experience it mostly when I'm heavy downloading and unpacking in SABNZBD

the X9SAE comes in 2 flavors. Neither one has IPMI. You usually only see that on their server boards that are designated with an "-F".

The X9SAE is considered a "workstation" board with enhanced video capabilities. IPMI would not be compatible. I doubt there will ever be an -F model.

• 4 weeks later...

Speedfan controle works ok with this mainboard.

The control is again not as i expected, the Manual and the text printed on the mainbord seems not in line with the info you get back from the command: sensors

There seems to be 3 x PWM controls, but i think that only PWM1 and PWM2 works.

PWM1 controls the connector on the mainbord: FANA, reads out with sensors as fan1:

PWM2 controls the connectors on the mainbord/manual listed as: (1) and read out with the sensors command as: (2)

(1)      (2)

FAN4 - fan2:

FAN1 - fan3:

FAN2 - fan4:

FAN3 - fan5:

You need to load the driver with:

modprobe w83627ehf

This is the only sensor device i could detect/recognise, and is in the speedfan script (you can remove the IPMI and the other one that scriot has per default as it was made on a X7ASPA mainbord.

The script changes:

# Load chip drivers:

modprobe w83627ehf

ARRAY_FAN=/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/pwm2 # Power (speed) setting

ARRAY_FAN_INPUT=/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/fan4_input # Used to track actual rpm values

* read above, as fan4 in the script maps to FAN2 on the mainbord, and you need to attach a PWM fan there.

It seems to work pretty well:

Dec 26 11:58:00 Tower2 emhttp_event: svcs_restarted

Dec 26 11:58:06 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Highest disk drive temp is: 36C

Dec 26 11:58:06 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Changing disk drive fan speed from: [FULL (100% @ 1443 rpm) ] to: [149 (74% @ 901 rpm) ]

Dec 26 12:00:04 Tower2 in.telnetd[3968]: connect from 192.168.2.193 (192.168.2.193)

Dec 26 12:00:08 Tower2 login[3969]: ROOT LOGIN  on '/dev/pts/0' from '192.168.2.193'

Dec 26 12:04:21 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Highest disk drive temp is: 37C

Dec 26 12:04:21 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Changing disk drive fan speed from: [149 (74% @ 892 rpm) ] to: [153 (76% @ 914 rpm) ]

Dec 26 12:19:50 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Highest disk drive temp is: 38C

Dec 26 12:19:50 Tower2 fan_speed.sh: Changing disk drive fan speed from: [153 (76% @ 931 rpm) ] to: [157 (78% @ 936 rpm) ]