Ibm m1015 or SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

skank

So, I just went through a halcious amount of time with MV8 vs. M1015.  I have two working MV8s and was having a very hard time adding a third.  I finally added a M1015 instead.  I have no idea why I balked at using the M1015 out of the gate - flashing it is inconvenient.

But, I can tell you that I have two MV8s and 1 M1015 and at least in my setup (x9scm-f-o, esxi, unraid as virtual machine) the M1015 is faster.  I get consistent 120 m/sec vs. 65-80 m/sec out of the MV8s.  If I had it to do over again I would have gone M1015 + SaS Expander. 

I'm trying to make the same decision myself. I had all but settled on the MV8 after reading of so many people using it successfully on here, and it being mentioned in the unRAID Hardware wiki.

Recently I have been reading into ESXi, where I see lots of people are using the M1015.  Though I notice this card is not mentioned in the wiki.

As I'm yet to complete my first unRAID build, please forgive me for what may be a stupid question... will a M1015 + SAS Expander work with unRAID, outside of an ESXi environment?

EDIT: Just want to be sure before I part with any cash!!

I'm trying to make the same decision myself. I had all but settled on the MV8 after reading of so many people using it successfully on here, and it being mentioned in the unRAID Hardware wiki.

Recently I have been reading into ESXi, where I see lots of people are using the M1015.  Though I notice this card is not mentioned in the wiki.

As I'm yet to complete my first unRAID build, please forgive me for what may be a stupid question... will a M1015 + SAS Expander work with unRAID, when it isn't being run from an ESXi VM?

ESXi is virtualization software made by VMware.

It's being used by a fair few members of the forum to host multiple instances of server operating systems on a single physical server.

Eg. You can have a Windows Home Server, unRAID & Ubuntu Server all running simultaneously, on the same hardware. Except they are not aware of the presence of one another as they each run in what is called a VM (Virtual Machine).

I'm just not sure if passing the M1015 and an expander through ESXi to unRAID, is presenting it in a different manner to if it were done without the ESXi layer.

Hoping someone out there is using an M1015 + expander without ESXi and can confirm one way or the other. As I'm no unRAID expert, and even less of an ESXi expert!! Have some a few forum searches but not found anyone who uses this setup.

Hope that demystifies my post somewhat!!

Also apologies for asking a slightly off topic question in your thread, it just looked the best place to ask, especially as the other two replies above mentioned ESXi in relation to this card!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

ESXi is virtualization software made by VMware.

It's being used by a fair few members of the forum to host multiple instances of server operating systems on a single physical server.

Eg. You can have a Windows Home Server, unRAID & Ubuntu Server all running simultaneously, on the same hardware. Except they are not aware of the presence of one another as they each run in what is called a VM (Virtual Machine).

Why would you want to run 3 different server software at the same time?

Save electricity + hardware costs - instead of running three physical servers for each O/S, you just run one!

I love the idea personally, but think I'd be going a bit out of my depth trying to learn that and unRAID at the same time ;)

Save electricity + hardware costs - instead of running three physical servers for each O/S, you just run one!

I love the idea personally, but think I'd be going a bit out of my depth trying to learn that and unRAID at the same time ;)

Yeah but why do you need servers for each O/S, what point is there?

Sorry, I misread your question there!

You could want to use the servers I  mentioned in my above example for these purposes:

unRAID - Media/Document Storage

WHS - Manage PC Backups

Ubuntu Server - Run Plex & TVHeadend.

Some people also prefer to separate the software used in unRAID plugins onto separate servers so they can run more recent versions of the software and/or avoid having a situation where their unRAID array will not start due to a problem with a plugin.

Hope that makes sense!

Just in case anyone else is interested, I got an answer to my question in an ESXi related thread.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.msg209973.msg#209973

Since a M1015 + expander will work without ESXi, my vote in relation to the OP's question also goes to M1015. Definitely gives more options for further expansion in the future over the MV8.

Will be getting one myself :)

Hoping someone out there is using an M1015 + expander without ESXi and can confirm one way or the other. As I'm no unRAID expert, and even less of an ESXi expert!! Have some a few forum searches but not found anyone who uses this setup.

I am using an M1015, flashed with the V14 firmware for an LSI9210-8I in IT mode. IT mode is necessary--it removes the software-RAID that is built into the IR versions of this firmware.

It requires a late versiono of UnRAID. I'm not sure exactly which of the betas or release candidates incorporated it, but 5.0-rc8a provides the necessary driver for the LSI controller. 4.7 does not.

Rick "who crossed this bridge last week" Denney

• 2 months later...

Archived