Quite Possibly the best complement* to an unRaid server

rfusz84

I started backing up my Blue ray discs to see how they would stream over the network, while

googleing around I came across this:   http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=

Anyways its a network media player that handles, what seems like anything u throw at it.

I ordered mine and it's on the way.

I report back with the end user experience of streaming an HD m2ts from a MD-1500 to a A-110

(Currently using a ZIOVA Clearstream™ CS615 w/ less than stellar results, better yet terrible results)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to buy one in the stores in Florida last week and no one had a clue what i was talking about. Based on my reading turn around is related mostly to batch production. The site is generally sold out non stop and all are pre-order. Some places in the EU have them but at almost double the cost when converted to dollars.

The problem with the PCH (which is also one of its biggest upsides) is that what you heard last month might not be true this month due to firmware upgrades which are fast and plenty.

For sure not all HD content are created equal but this was also true of SD which such nonsense as QPEl etc

If you can get one the PCH is great value for money.... if you can actually get one.

I think i might try.

I couldn't find any screenshots.  Can someone describe the user interface.  I have a large collection of movies, so I'm wondering what the navigation is like.

Here's review from earlier version of PCH http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/popcorn_hour_a100_review.pdf

They should have very similar or same interface as from my understanding only hardware change from this version to the newer PCH-A110.

I am actually interested getting PS3 to work with unRAID... PCH is just streamer for price $200-ish with PS3 $399 with 80G HDD and blueray player is a plus. I do't play games myself but since blueray player is cost as much anyway why not buy PS3. ;)

For media streamers maybe also read istarminiHD.

The HDMI chip on the PS3 cannot send bitstream of TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA.

The PCH can pass through : DTS, AC3, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus.

Only matters if you get a receiver that can also process those streams, but if you have a nice system

in place it makes a big difference in sound. 

Also PCH handle pretty much any type of video u can put on a hard drive.

Only gripe I have with this player is the nic card on it.  10/100 :(

I guess if streams a HD file ok then it doesn't matter.

@musicmann ... the user interface is created by software, and the PCH does not have one beyond the basic file browsing.

It does support uPnP however, so any number of interfaces such as slimserver, OxylBox, Open Showcenter, etc., can all be used... whichever you want to add.

The user contributions section of the PCH forums have several user-supplied alternative interfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a frankenstein MacBook 2Ghz C2D (headless, no optical drive wireless, battery etc.) with a bluetooth card in-tact, running 10.5 and a mac dedicated version of XBMC called Plex. It runs into my 1080p TV, and plays 1080p without any issues. Its running through a gigabit router to my UnRaid server, and mounts shares automatically. Its sweet! Its small and quiet, and it cost me bugger all to build (less than $150 NZD). It has digital out, and with Plex it can passthrough any audio. PLUS it has the IR port so I can use the Apple remote. Seriously guys, get modding with some damaged MacBooks on eBay or TradeMe!

• 1 month later...

I'm running a frankenstein MacBook 2Ghz C2D ...It runs into my 1080p TV, and plays 1080p without any issues. Its running through a gigabit router to my UnRaid server, and mounts shares automatically....

I follow XBMC development closely and whilst i can believe that rig will play some or perhaps even lots, theres no way it can play all 1080p, especially the high bit rate stuff. Can you play the killa sample or can you qualify how many drops you get on high bit rate stuff.?

I just want to play devils adocate here especailly when you are advocating people buy kit at that level.

I'm running a frankenstein MacBook 2Ghz C2D ...It runs into my 1080p TV, and plays 1080p without any issues. Its running through a gigabit router to my UnRaid server, and mounts shares automatically....

I follow XBMC development closely and whilst i can believe that rig will play some or perhaps even lots, theres no way it can play all 1080p, especially the high bit rate stuff. Can you play the killa sample or can you qualify how many drops you get on high bit rate stuff.?

I just want to play devils adocate here especailly when you are advocating people buy kit at that level.

I've got several 12Gb 1080p files, plays no issues. I've played a full BlueRay image with no discernible dropped frames. I personally would have expected dropped frames as well, but XBMC development has made leaps and bounds with 1080p playback on slower machines, and a C2D is no slouch.

Where can I find the killa sample?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PCH-A110, and I use it mostly for playing .iso files from the network.  Right now I'm having samba issues between it and my unRAID.  I'm patiently waiting for the next beta unRAID release, hoping it has nfs. (and/or the next pch firmware with an updated samba build).

Haven't had time to try and debug what's going on with unRAID to make it unhappy over samba.

Overall, the PCH-A110 is pretty cool for what I got it for (mostly being able to play .iso from the LAN!).  Took about a month between ordering and receiving it.  They ship twice a month from China.  It arrived shortly after they actually shipped it.