Beep PC speaker with unRAID 4.3.3?

• 2 weeks later...

Beep codes sounds like a good idea.

I for one vote for an enhancement to alert the user that /boot was not mounted (Possibly due to label problem).

Another would be if emhttp found a disk offline or the array was not in a healthy state.

Another might be when unRAID is up and happy.

Just to add a lil geek factor for fun.

I use a soundblaster live with Festival on some of my machines.

Along with NAGIOS, My computers speak the error alerts.

Connect that up with the ROKU SoundBridge and I have wireless marquee messages throughout my apartment.

http://www.cotrone.com/rob/archives/2006/04/roku_soundbridg_1.html

One of these days I'll write an LCDProc driver.

Back on subject, I think the beep codes is a great idea, nothing like auditory alert when you do not have a monitor attached.

• 3 months later...

I have noticed that bubbaRAID has the beep function.

Is there a way to add beep (and the pcspkr module) to the stock unRAID distribution now (4.3.3 in particular)? or is it only possible because of the custom distribution?

Could someone please describe what the procedures are for getting this installed and working?

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 months later...

Added in 4.5-beta4

superb.

I predict a whole new area of hacks coming out now.

Please stop referring to the addon efforts as hacks.  It makes it sound like people here creating addon tools are doing something illegal:

"In common usage, hacker is generic term for a computer criminal, often with a specific specialty in computer intrusion. While other definitions peculiar to the computer enthusiast community exist, they are rarely used in mainstream context. ..."

See here

I can foresee a periodic alert "beep" when a disk has failed and the array is in a degraded state, and a way to disable the periodic beep so it does not drive us crazy while we purchase and install the replacement drive....  Lots of possibilities for "enhancements."

Joe L.

Added in 4.5-beta4

superb.

I predict a whole new area of hacks coming out now.

Please stop referring to the addon efforts as hacks.  It makes it sound like people here creating addon tools are doing something illegal:

"In common usage, hacker is generic term for a computer criminal, often with a specific specialty in computer intrusion. While other definitions peculiar to the computer enthusiast community exist, they are rarely used in mainstream context. ..."

See here

Or you can use the one that it really means:

Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:

* A person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system

* A person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it

* A person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking

* A person who picks up programming quickly

* A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"

Either way i know what it means and im not going to dumb down just because the rest of the world has :)

I can foresee a periodic alert "beep" when a disk has failed and the array is in a degraded state, and a way to disable the periodic beep so it does not drive us crazy while we purchase and install the replacement drive....  Lots of possibilities for "enhancements."

Joe L.

Agreed. There real scope for a whole sweep of event codes. looking forward to it.

Edit: I have created a thread dedicated to nothing but the beep code scheme design. I invite hackers :P to post their :)

See here

I would prefer them not to be called hacks either... Addon's is a nicer term.

hack has the impression of cut, jam, slam. etc. etc... 

Some of the addons lately are quite elegant solutions.

In response though, there are hackers who are known to work at something (computer related) very intensely...

and there are crackers who are know to be hackers against security.

I know many hackers, and few crackers.

Interesting link.

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci998037,00.html

As far as hackers being a generic term in media..

Agreed, but many true hackers would quite enthusiastically re-affirm the difference with hacker and cracker.

I don't disagree with the sentiment I just object with being told to stop using a word because someone else doesn't like my (correct) usage of it.

No good can come of this discussion.

Addon instills the thought of elegant solution to extend.

Hack sort of instills the thought of compensation for or installing something that should not actually be there.

Where does it count...

For a newbie.

I've dealt with allot of new people who would not buy something if a solution was called or consider a hack.

Addon as the connotation of a community effort to extend.

I think consideration would be nice given the growth and notoriety of unRAID.

Sorry but I cant say I can do this. My life extends beyond unRAID and i have uses this term correctly as part of my 9-5 job almost every day for the last 20 years of my life .

I am not saying I wont I am saying your asking me to remove a word I use all the time in this one tiny part of my life.

Feel free to obsess about it. I certainly wont be :)

Hack and Hacker and Hacking are *not* derogatory terms.  The black-hat is a "cracker" who engages in "cracking."

From the SAT test question you skipped....

Hacker is to cracker as locksmith is to _______________ (answer is "safecracker")

I am a proud hacker.... but call me a cracker, or call a crook a Hacker and you will get a quick vocabulary lesson.... sort of like the difference between trekkie and trekker.

Hack and Hacker and Hacking are *not* derogatory terms.  The black-hat is a "cracker" who engages in "cracking."

From the SAT test question you skipped....

Hacker is to cracker as locksmith is to _______________ (answer is "safecracker")

I am a proud hacker.... but call me a cracker, or call a crook a Hacker and you will get a quick vocabulary lesson.... sort of like the difference between trekkie and trekker.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to proudly call myself a hacker.  I'd always considered it a skill of learning on the fly, without needing much documentation or direction to get started, and being able to think outside of the box and accomplish things that those that simply follow the instructions will never discover.

But that meaning has gone by the wayside IMO.

Label yourself as you will - but if you ask the average Joe on the street (or the average executive in most any company) a hacker is a criminal to be rooted out.