asus P5PE-VM wake on lan question

same here (different motherboard), shortly after my drives spindown (spindowntime is reached), my system goes into suspention S1.

the trouble is that i cant wake it up (tried numerous different programs).

in my bios, i only have the options S1, S3 and S1 & S3, but no disableing option.

is the bios putting my system into suspent or is unraid doing it?

so everytime it goes into S1, i need a magic package to wake it up, and thats bugging me.

do u have any idea how to disable this suspent thing? and just leaving the system on all the time (drives still spinning up and down ofcourse).

Interesting,

If I click power down, the system does power off.  When I hit space on PS2 keyboard, the system powers on.  I still can't wake on lan despit having resume on lan enabled.  I have tried two different magic packet programs. My system is running fine and has not gone into suspension without me powering down. 

im using a different boardm but i have the same problem.

as soon as all my drives are spun down, the system goes into suspention, and i cant wake it.

tried numerous programs.

the thing that i would like is the cpu to stay on all the time (drives still spinning down)

is my bios putting my system into suspention or is unraid doing it?

if unraid is doing it, i would like the command to disable suspention/standby

if not, do i need to get another board?

Here is what I know about this topic.

First, there are several "suspend" states.  Here are the ones we're talking about and what they mean from a practical standpoint:

S0 - normal working state, ie, not suspended

S1 - CPU stopped, everything else running. Linux automatically enters this when idle

S2 - don't think this is used

S3 - suspend to ram (called "Stand By" in Windows) - everything off except Memory & Wakeup circuits

S4 - suspend to disk (called "Hibernate" in Windows) - everything off except circit to detect power switch

S5 - soft off (called "Power Off" in Windows) - everything off except circuit to detect power switch

When you press the front-panel power switch on a running unRAID server, it's putting the system in S5 suspend (same as a PC).

When you click 'Power down' on the unRAID Management Utility, it's putting the system in S5 suspend also.

WOL definitely wakes the server from S5, just as if you hit the front panel power button.

Notice difference between S4 and S5 has to do with software detecting if it saved memory image to disk before shutdown.

To truely shut off all power you have to physically switch off the power supply or yank the cord.

S3 is the one we really want to get working - trouble here is that linux support for this, especially with SATA drives, is "spotty".

So... I'm not sure what the interaction with bios is as far as entering a standby mode.  On Intel m/b's, we're able to sucessfully enter S5.  Generally you have to program bios that it's ok to wake-up from various source, one being LAN.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.  I am not sure why wake on LAN doesn't work for me.  The MOBO appears to be in the suspend state per the manual (green light on) and it will wake with keyboard press or mouse movement.  I wonder if it is a network issue.  If I figure it out, I will post.