Western Digital My Book Essentials 4TB - external

disassembly video:

I'll remind everyone that I have been burned doing this. the drive died a month later me. nothing i could do to put it all back to together and get a replacement. it is a gamble..

If i am not mistaken. the WD 4TB RE's are based on the 7200RPM Hitachi Deckstars? one of the reasons they bought them.

Also, the Seagate 4TB Barracuda have been out for over a year. Just really hard to get your hands on one. I am not sure if there is a 4 platter version yet. we have some of the 5 platter ones at work.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I had shucked a few Hitachi 2tb drives a few years ago and the serials worked for RMA warranty when one of the drives failed. That was before WD bought Hitachi's HD business though. It's always a crap shoot I guess. I don't have any 3TB drives at the moment, just a mix of 2 and 1.5 TB drives. It sure would be nice to just skip to 4TB drives as I replace the 1.5s. We need these prices to drop!

Ben