What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

BubbaRaid 0.01.17-Beta is available for download here:

http://.../bubba/bubbaraid-0.01.17-Beta.zip

This zip file works a FULL BubbaRaid system install.   This version must be installed on top of a flash drive with unRAID 4.4.2 already installed.

Installation:

========================

On a Windows PC, Unzip the above zip file to a flash that already has unRAID 4.4.2 installed.  Then run the "enable_bubba" batch file in the riit of the flash from Windows.  (sorry to Mac folks... I hope to have a pure Linux script soon).

Upgrades

========================

Once you install this full BubbaRaid system above, or if you already have BubbaRaid version 0.0.18 or later installed, use the "Check for Upgrade" link in the top right corner of the BubbaRaid home page portal to upgrade to the latest version.

Please post your wishlists in this thread, and I will update this post as suggestions are accepted.  As of now it will have:

Applications and tools

===================

• wget
  • htop
  • ethtool
  • lm-sensors
  • php
  • perl
  • nzbget (with par and rar tools)
  • rTorrent and wTorrent interface
  • lighttpd w/ php
  • bwm-ng
  • lsof
  • lspci
  • apcuspd including usb and cgi modules
  • dmidecode (with prtdiag script)
  • slimserver

Kernel mods to support:

================

• EX2 and EX3 filesystems
  • CPU Frequency Scaling
  • Hardware Monitoring, and modules for most chips
  • S3 and S4 suspend (but you are on your own for making it work)
  • PC speaker
  • Sys IV IPC
  • Serial ports
  • Additional logging

Scripts

===============

• unmenu
  • safe powerdown
  • e-mail notification

In addition, several configuration files/directories will be symlinked to the flash for persistence:

• php.ini
  • lighttpd.conf
  • nzbget.conf
  • /etc/apcupsd

Depending on the size of the initramfs, some large directories may be sysmlinked back to the flash.  The emhttp program will also reside on the flash instead of the initramfs (you'll have to boot your stock unRAID and move it to the flash after you install BubbaRaid)..

So... did I miss anything?

To install it:

- unzip it to your unRAID flash, then

- in Windows, run the “enable_bubba” batch file from the root of the flash

Then boot the flash normally.... you should see a new boot menu option “BubbaRaid” that is set as the default.

Note the initramfs is larger than stock unRAID, so it takes longer to boot.

You can undo BubbaRaid easily  - in Windows, run the “disable_bubba” batch file from the root of the flash.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see dmidecode added, to obtain and insert into the syslog the board model and maker and BIOS version (and probably other stuff too).  I know it is considered unreliable and incomplete, but it should still be consistent, and therefore would often be useful for troubleshooting.  I believe it is small.

@bjp999, it first requires sound card support in the kernel, which is something I never use... there is a lot of sound card variability out there.

Can the individual sound cards use loadable modules... as long as the basic support is in the kernel?

Or... must the kernel be compiled individually per sound card? (somehow, I doubt this, as it would make distributions like ubuntu impossible)?

Joe L.

@ReneV, do you mean ssl for the unRAID management screen?  (not doable)

No, I mean sshd, which depends on ssl.

Taking my cue from WeeboTech, I think it was, I'm currently doing the following in my go file, with <authorized_keys> containing my public key and <ssh*key*> taken from  </etc/ssh> from some run of sshd (to not have security alerts after each restart).

#
# ssh
#
installpkg /boot/custom/packages/openssl-0.9.8h-i486-1.tgz
installpkg /boot/custom/packages/openssh-5.1p1-i486-1.tgz
# public key
mkdir /root/.ssh
cp /boot/custom/etc/ssh/authorized_keys /root/.ssh
# server ID keys
cp --preserve=timestamps /boot/custom/etc/ssh/ssh*key* /etc/ssh
chmod 600 /etc/ssh/ssh*key*
# ssh start
/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd start

The purpose is not security, but easy-to-use remote shell (and, probably, tunelling). My main application is for unison.

Yes, they can be modularized, but there are a BUNCH of resulting modules, and since I don't use them, I don't have a feel for what is common and what is not.  Normally, I wouldn't care, but since this is run from an initramfs, size matters.

My target is a server with 500MB RAM and 1GB flash.

@Musicman, I use VBox, and it works fine when installed on a Slackware development system with unRAID.

But 1) it is BIG, and 2) you need a GUI to create and install VMs.  It ain't gonna work on BubbaRaid.

Once your VMs are created, you can then *start* them from the command line with "vboxheadless" and you don't need a GUI any more.... you can remote control them with Dameware or Windows remote desktop.

Yes, they can be modularized, but there are a BUNCH of resulting modules, and since I don't use them, I don't have a feel for what is common and what is not.  Normally, I wouldn't care, but since this is run from an initramfs, size matters.

Based on research I did before, I think that "alsa" http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page is the most important module to include in the kernel to be able to support sound.  If it fits, perhaps you could include just that and others can experiment to see if that is sufficient.

To support larger modules, would it make sense to put larger files on a hard disk (cache or array) to keep the size down?

Even if you could create the VM online (and that site is VMWare only, not for Vbox) you still need a GUI to install the OS into it.... unless you are downloading a VM with the OS already installed, which is of course not permitted for Windows.

If have the skills to play with VMs, you have the skills to install unRAID on a full Slackware dev system.... despite the length of the instructions, it really isn't hard.

Yes, they can be modularized, but there are a BUNCH of resulting modules, and since I don't use them, I don't have a feel for what is common and what is not.  Normally, I wouldn't care, but since this is run from an initramfs, size matters.

This was why I was looking into unionfs...

You can make a diskimage file and mount it via loopback and union it to the system.

Or you could use a directory on your raid or a hidden directory on your cache disk

At the very least you could do the same with symlinks I suppose.

Mount an image file via

mount -o loop /boot/bubbaraid_supplemental.img /mnt/bubbaraid_supplemental

Then setup symlinks or mount -o binds to point back to the supplemental filesystem image.

This filesystem image could reside on flash or on the cache as a .hiddenfile.img

Since I am a linux idiot...

I would love an unraid/slackware distro...

I have not moved to unraid but am looking into solutions and unraid is on the list.  The only thing really holding my back is support for slimserver and other apps I currently run on my linux based NAS device (thecus 5200).

Based on research I did before, I think that "alsa" http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page is the most important module to include in the kernel to be able to support sound.  If it fits, perhaps you could include just that and others can experiment to see if that is sufficient.

I think once ALSA is included in the kernel, the also sound modules for the cards are loaded separately.

Sheesh it's been so long.. That's why I was building a meesly celeron 2GB dev system with the P5B VM D0.

BubbaRaid has to assume it is running on a minimal system... that means no cache drive, and 500MB RAM, and a 1GB flash.

As for ssh, remember, even if ssh is enabled, you can't have a shadow passwd for root, so you have to manually exchange the ssh keys.

Also, a disk image is disfavored here, as one of the functions BubbaRaid has is that it can update itself to the latest version and patch level, and that means individual files for xfer, and not an entire disk image... even if I did a patch for the disk image, you have to dismount it to patch it, that could cause a mess.

Help me understand something here..

Does bubbaraid supply it's own bzroot image?

If so, how would you provide updates to this?

It is easy to do by writing the new kernel to the flash with a different name, and modifying the syslinux config to boot it.

OK, so then having a supplementary image file that is loaded via loopback on flash is doable too.

You don't have to touch the syslinux.cfg,

If you are providing your own bzroot

Then you can add an

if [ -r /boot/bubbraid_supplemental.img ]

then mount -o loop /boot/bubbaraid_supplemental.img /mnt/biubbaraiid_supplemental

if [ -x /mnt/biubbaraiid_supplemental/etc/rc.d/rc.supplemental_startup ]

then /mnt/biubbaraiid_supplemental/etc/rc.d/rc.supplemental_startup

fi

fi

Here you could put all the modules, libs and what ever, thereby saving valuable ram, yet providing additional functionality.

So no real patching needed.

or am I missing something with the reference to patching?